Archived Topic

What does the future hold for BYU Football?

by cougarapologist · 10/30/2018

Advertisement
C
cougarapologist
Currently I am terrified of the future.



We honestly have no real path towards P5 membership. The Big 12 was and is our last hope. Why do they need us? What do we add for them except headache? I don't see it happening.



Independence is getting less and less attractive. Nice to have lots of P5 games, but if we fully become a punching bag for them, what's the point?



Bowl access becoming an issue as well.



If we did not have the investment in facilities that we do, does anyone think like I do, that the Trustees would consider eliminating football altogether, or at least a drop to FCS?



Although FCS might be kind of fun.
C
Cougs_Rule
I’ve said it before...Holmoe (and indirectly all the fans and donors that think 5, 6, or 7 P5 games is desirable) with this “we’ll play anyone, anywhere” is killing our guys and as a result killing Our program in a slow march to death.

We don’t have the money or the players, NOR the stomach for so many losses to compete at that level.

“Any virtue pressed to an extreme becomes a vice.” BK Packer

Neuroses is the illegitimate form of suffering.” S Freud

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result?” N Clue
K
KingCoug
cougarapologist wrote:

Currently I am terrified of the future.



We honestly have no real path towards P5 membership. The Big 12 was and is our last hope. Why do they need us? What do we add for them except headache? I don't see it happening.



Independence is getting less and less attractive. Nice to have lots of P5 games, but if we fully become a punching bag for them, what's the point?



Bowl access becoming an issue as well.



If we did not have the investment in facilities that we do, does anyone think like I do, that the Trustees would consider eliminating football altogether, or at least a drop to FCS?



Although FCS might be kind of fun.


First, independence is a viable option if the scheduling is done correctly.



Second, don't write off a P5 invote just yet. A lot of the TV contracts with the conferences end in a few years and a lot of things could change.


Cougs_Rule wrote:

I’ve said it before...Holmoe (and indirectly all the fans and donors that think 5, 6, or 7 P5 games is desirable) with this “we’ll play anyone, anywhere” is killing our guys and as a result killing Our program in a slow march to death.

We don’t have the money or the players, NOR the stomach for so many losses to compete at that level.

“Any virtue pressed to an extreme becomes a vice.” BK Packer

Neuroses is the illegitimate form of suffering.” S Freud

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result?” N Clue


Yup. It's what I've been saying. BYU needs to be BYU. Especially when the powers that be want to keep running the program as a G5 except for the schedule.



That said, all the fans that are wringing their hands and talking about crawling back to the Mountain West or the Church shutting down the program in the future need to back away from the cliff. Better yet, do the rest of us a favor and please jump.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.