F
FidoLast year was awful. This year I went into things cautiously optimistic. But the team has been very inconsistent. The one game I made the trip into the stadium for this season was the awful Cal game and was furious along with most in the stands around me. But this past Saturday I sat and watched the lackluster NIU game with a little different outlook.
I'm convinced this team is in full rebuilding mode. I took the 2 deep chart for the NIU game and counted up how many from each class were represented somewhere on it (both sides of the ball). Not surprisingly Seniors are the most represented with 19. However, if I challenge you to come up with what Senior is a "star" on this team could you do it? On offense choices appear to be Canada (had moments, but injuries), Mangum (lost the job to a freshman), Hadley (utility guy, not star). Collie? Hoyt? El-Bakri? Nwigwe? Jumping to defense there is Takitaki and Corbin Kaufusi if those guys are putting up "star" numbers for anyone. Then Taliauli? Pau'u? Riggs Powell? Pulsipher? Shelton? Jacobson? My point is there isn't a clear "star" player from the senior class. That is a big problem.
Let's go to the class with the next most number of 2-deep representatives: FRESHMAN 18 of them appear in the chart! Offensive contributors include Wilson, Katoa, Southam, Romney, Milne, Empey, Saleapaga, Christensen, Holker. On defense most contributors are DBs in Herron, Moore, Mandell, and Ellis. A team relying so heavily on the contribution of freshmen is going to struggle. The other classes have 14 (Juniors) and 11 (Sophomores).
I guess where I'm going is this Freshman class is gaining a bunch of experience and learn on the job. The senior class in particular lacks clear leadership and performance like is typically expected. I'm hoping that we have some clear YOUNG leaders emerge and take their development time and build on it for next year. And I hope that future recruiting classes are sufficient that we don't have such gaps in leadership and contribution like we have with certain classes this season.
I'm resigned to not beat Boise State or Utah (which pains me for sure) but hope for wins in the other two games to become bowl eligible.
Going forward I hope the team figures out how to better defend their home field. Apathy in the stands I think comes from losing more games at home in the past 2 seasons (7) than they had lost since going independent the previous 6 seasons combined (6).
I'm convinced this team is in full rebuilding mode. I took the 2 deep chart for the NIU game and counted up how many from each class were represented somewhere on it (both sides of the ball). Not surprisingly Seniors are the most represented with 19. However, if I challenge you to come up with what Senior is a "star" on this team could you do it? On offense choices appear to be Canada (had moments, but injuries), Mangum (lost the job to a freshman), Hadley (utility guy, not star). Collie? Hoyt? El-Bakri? Nwigwe? Jumping to defense there is Takitaki and Corbin Kaufusi if those guys are putting up "star" numbers for anyone. Then Taliauli? Pau'u? Riggs Powell? Pulsipher? Shelton? Jacobson? My point is there isn't a clear "star" player from the senior class. That is a big problem.
Let's go to the class with the next most number of 2-deep representatives: FRESHMAN 18 of them appear in the chart! Offensive contributors include Wilson, Katoa, Southam, Romney, Milne, Empey, Saleapaga, Christensen, Holker. On defense most contributors are DBs in Herron, Moore, Mandell, and Ellis. A team relying so heavily on the contribution of freshmen is going to struggle. The other classes have 14 (Juniors) and 11 (Sophomores).
I guess where I'm going is this Freshman class is gaining a bunch of experience and learn on the job. The senior class in particular lacks clear leadership and performance like is typically expected. I'm hoping that we have some clear YOUNG leaders emerge and take their development time and build on it for next year. And I hope that future recruiting classes are sufficient that we don't have such gaps in leadership and contribution like we have with certain classes this season.
I'm resigned to not beat Boise State or Utah (which pains me for sure) but hope for wins in the other two games to become bowl eligible.
Going forward I hope the team figures out how to better defend their home field. Apathy in the stands I think comes from losing more games at home in the past 2 seasons (7) than they had lost since going independent the previous 6 seasons combined (6).

