Archived Topic

Anderson and/or Bevell. Any other real choices?

by cougarapologist · 10/29/2018

Advertisement
C
cougarapologist
Honestly, I hope 6-6 doesn't save Sitake and his staff. They are really not very good. While Grimes is better than Detmer, he doesn't have what it takes at this level yet. Too many times he calls plays that do not give his offense a real shot.



So looking beyond, and not considering non-options like the guy at Snow College, other than Lance Anderson and Darrell Bevell, are there any other actual options out there? I like both of these guys (and a combo of the two even more), but just wondering.
E
El Guapo
My opinion... Holmoe needs to go as well as Tuiaki, Sitake needs to be demoted, you promote Grimes to HC and bring back Doman as OC and make Sitake DC.
J
jadesroom
Head coaching experience, you have three realistic options. None totally appealing:



1. Ken N.: Apologize, say we were wrong and offer to play it his way



2. Jay Miller: May accept the job; but in his heart, he'll be waiting for Whitt to step down



3. Paul Peterson: Wide open offense but only has JC HC experience.



If you can get Ken N. to run Paul's offense, I think we could win.



On the other hand, I'd love Anae's discipline with Paul's offense, but Anae has no HC experience.
G
Guest
Neither Bronco nor LaVell had any head coaching experience before BYU and both stepped in and had things progressing in short order. And that was with both of them taking on teams that were in much worse shape talentwise than Sitake took over.
K
KingCoug
El Guapo wrote:

My opinion... Holmoe needs to go as well as Tuiaki, Sitake needs to be demoted, you promote Grimes to HC and bring back Doman as OC and make Sitake DC.


Yes, Holmoe needs to go but so does everyone else. Grimes, if I'm not mistaken, isn't LDS so he can't be HC.



BYU needs one of these three guys - Anderson, Bevell, or Niumatalolo - and allow them to pick their staff.
Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
jadesroom wrote:

Anae has no HC experience.


Anae has no tact, either.



His inability to get along with others would cripple his effectiveness as a head coach. Honestly, I don't know that he would want a HC job, after seeing how Bronco--who he deems a kindred spirit--has to deal with people outside the fiefdom of the coordinator's offices.
G
Guest
CrimsonCoug wrote:


Anae has no HC experience.


Anae has no tact, either.



His inability to get along with others would cripple his effectiveness as a head coach. Honestly, I don't know that he would want a HC job, after seeing how Bronco--who he deems a kindred spirit--has to deal with people outside the fiefdom of the coordinator's offices.


Same thing with Nick Saban.
J
jvquarterback
Best options are



Mike Leach and that's it.



Give him the money and let him run the program.
E
El Guapo
KingCoug wrote:


My opinion... Holmoe needs to go as well as Tuiaki, Sitake needs to be demoted, you promote Grimes to HC and bring back Doman as OC and make Sitake DC.


Yes, Holmoe needs to go but so does everyone else. Grimes, if I'm not mistaken, isn't LDS so he can't be HC.



BYU needs one of these three guys - Anderson, Bevell, or Niumatalolo - and allow them to pick their staff.

BYU needs to drop the LDS temple recommend holder coach requirement as it severely limits who they can bring in. And while the church is making a lot of changes anyway, may as well do that and relax the honor code as well so that players aren't held to standards that are difficult to abide by, especially those who arent LDS. And if players don't have to be LDS, why do the coaches?
C
CrimsonCoug
hawkwing wrote:


jadesroom wrote:

Anae has no HC experience.


Anae has no tact, either.



His inability to get along with others would cripple his effectiveness as a head coach. Honestly, I don't know that he would want a HC job, after seeing how Bronco--who he deems a kindred spirit--has to deal with people outside the fiefdom of the coordinator's offices.


Same thing with Nick Saban.


I have tons of respect for you, Hawk, but did you really just compare Robert Anae to Nick Saban? :skeptic: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



Saban has no love for the media, but he knows how to deal with them. And they put up with him because he wins.

An image conscious school like BYU would have the BOT and alumni cringing at every presser with Robert "What is the Purpose of your Question" Anae as HC. He's a next level media troll. I don't have any animus towards him, but he's as curmudgeonly as they come.
Advertisement
G
Guest
CrimsonCoug wrote:


CrimsonCoug wrote:


Anae has no HC experience.


Anae has no tact, either.



His inability to get along with others would cripple his effectiveness as a head coach. Honestly, I don't know that he would want a HC job, after seeing how Bronco--who he deems a kindred spirit--has to deal with people outside the fiefdom of the coordinator's offices.


Same thing with Nick Saban.


I have tons of respect for you, Hawk, but did you really just compare Robert Anae to Nick Saban? :skeptic: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



Saban has no love for the media, but he knows how to deal with them. And they put up with him because he wins.

An image conscious school like BYU would have the BOT and alumni cringing at every presser with Robert "What is the Purpose of your Question" Anae as HC. He's a next level media troll. I don't have any animus towards him, but he's as curmudgeonly as they come.


Obviously Anae is no Saban :D but really, I would much rather have some small market media members get hurt feelings after asking stupid questions with BYU winning 9 games a year than have some one everyone loves who at best can bring in 6 wins. If BYU is so worried about it, they should hire a better media consultant.
K
KingCoug
El Guapo wrote:


El Guapo wrote:

My opinion... Holmoe needs to go as well as Tuiaki, Sitake needs to be demoted, you promote Grimes to HC and bring back Doman as OC and make Sitake DC.


Yes, Holmoe needs to go but so does everyone else. Grimes, if I'm not mistaken, isn't LDS so he can't be HC.



BYU needs one of these three guys - Anderson, Bevell, or Niumatalolo - and allow them to pick their staff.

BYU needs to drop the LDS temple recommend holder coach requirement as it severely limits who they can bring in. And while the church is making a lot of changes anyway, may as well do that and relax the honor code as well so that players aren't held to standards that are difficult to abide by, especially those who arent LDS. And if players don't have to be LDS, why do the coaches?


I disagree. BYU reflects on the Church and it needs a HC who understands that. As I've pointed out before, we saw how bad things can get when we had Crowton. And he was LDS. A non-LDS coach who doesn't understand the Church connection, missions, etc. would be a huge gamble and could be a disaster. The HC sets the to be for the entire program.



Moreover, when you say "relax the Honor Code," in what way? Basically water down the rules to where there is only a nominal difference between BYU and other schools?
G
Gunk
If Anae won like Saban, I'd take him. Anae doesn't win like Saban, so he's a no-go in my book.



The Sitake era needs to sunset, but it won't. We'll get Sitake at least one more season.



Holmoe isn't going anywhere.



As far as the HC, goes. Make the temple recommend standards the same as the HC. Done. Then the only think that we're talking about are drugs, alcohol, and sex. Get rid of stupid rules like shaving, dress code, what rooms you're allowed to go into, etc.
S
snoscythe
BYU will fire coaches, but not mid-season without a scandal.



This season is a suckfest, but not scandalous, so we're stuck with Kalani through early December.
F
frdbtr
jvquarterback wrote:

Best options are



Mike Leach and that's it.



Give him the money and let him run the program.


Leach is not a mormon and wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of passing his GA interview. I love the guy but there is 0 chance he will ever coach at BYU
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I think that the honor code is a good thing but needs different enforcement. Right now it is used as a blackmail tool where students become judge, jury and executioner, especially if someone is an athlete. If we kept the honor code but started enforcing it like bishops do with normal repentance and not kick kids out of school for it, it can become a powerful recruiting tool. Right now opposing coaches just have to tell non member kids that if they drink a cup of coffee they will get kicked out of school and ruin any chance they have for the NFL, or NBA. If we allowed kids to repent while staying in school, unless the problem is reoccurring or egregious, it would be much better. I like that BYU is different, but I also think that the Honor code is selectively enforced and more strictly enforced for athletes because of their high profile. I had multiple roommates when I was there who were sleeping with their girlfriends and none of them got kicked out of school because I chose not to "tell" on them. Just imagine non member kids watching Mormons doing this and then get kicked out of school when they do it too. Major hypocrisy. Anyway, rant over.
J
jvquarterback
frdbtr wrote:


Best options are



Mike Leach and that's it.



Give him the money and let him run the program.


Leach is not a mormon and wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of passing his GA interview. I love the guy but there is 0 chance he will ever coach at BYU


Leach is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints. I'm not sure if he's Mormon or not. If past, unsubstantiated misdeeds prevent people from teaching or coaching at BYU we really have become a bunch of pharisees.
J
jvquarterback
El Guapo wrote:


El Guapo wrote:

My opinion... Holmoe needs to go as well as Tuiaki, Sitake needs to be demoted, you promote Grimes to HC and bring back Doman as OC and make Sitake DC.


Yes, Holmoe needs to go but so does everyone else. Grimes, if I'm not mistaken, isn't LDS so he can't be HC.



BYU needs one of these three guys - Anderson, Bevell, or Niumatalolo - and allow them to pick their staff.

BYU needs to drop the LDS temple recommend holder coach requirement as it severely limits who they can bring in. And while the church is making a lot of changes anyway, may as well do that and relax the honor code as well so that players aren't held to standards that are difficult to abide by, especially those who arent LDS. And if players don't have to be LDS, why do the coaches?


I don't know that they'll "relax the honor code" but I could easily see the abolition of the honor code office. President Nelson has been really big about keeping things within the proper priesthood authority (the reorganization of the ward mission being the latest installment). The Honor Code Office has no priesthood authority and the proper channels for discipline are pretty clearly outlined.
D
dsmith1212
jvquarterback wrote:

Leach is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints.


Is this true? I have always thought Leach was not a member - active or not.
J
jvquarterback
dsmith1212 wrote:


Leach is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints.


Is this true? I have always thought Leach was not a member - active or not.


He attends regularly with his wife. Not every week, but regularly. Sometimes as members of the church with callings that we spend hours on we are too hard on others who are happy being members but are uncomfortable in time consuming callings. Just because someone doesn't want to be Elder's Quorum President, lead the music, or even give a talk, or they sometimes go for a long weekend hunting (or getting accused of abusing Craig James' son) doesn't mean they can't help other ways - like coaching the BYU football team.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.