Archived Topic

The only hope we have to salvage this season is if Sitake is fired today

by frdbtr · 10/28/2018

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
sitake should be fired after this game and the HCing responsibilities need to be given to Ed Lamb. If we must insist that our HC"s have a temple recommend then he can coach until they find a replacement with one.
G
Gunk
Sitake will be around for another year.



BYU is slow to make such decisions and he'll blame the season on the offense.



That said, if people want a change this season, stop watching. Let Holmoe know and don't turn the TV on or go to the game.
C
CrimsonCoug
All of those options seem like the proverbial cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't see how any of them help BYU football. Kalani isn't a great motivator, administrator, recruiter, or tactician--in short; he's not a great HC (though he's decent at some of those things some of the time). But getting rid of him mid season isn't going to solve any problems.



Regardless of who is coaching, I'm really pulling for BYU to get a bowl game to get the extra practice that allows. We really need it.
B
byufan4ever
This is BYU. Do we even fire coaches for bad performance or just for major HC violations? We may under pay, but hey, you have a job as long as you run a clean program! My bet is that Sitake is here until his contract runs out and then it just isn't extended.
C
CrimsonCoug
Great point. You're probably right.



How long does Kalani's contract have left? I spent a few minutes looking around the internet and couldn't find anything on any of the contract terms (as a private university, BYU isn't required to disclose them, but I'd have thought that his contract length would have come into the public domain).



However, I did find this jinxing gem from SB Nation in December 2015 when Kalani was hired:



"Because of the current college football landscape, and with the Cougars in a bit of limbo, this might be BYU's most important hire ever, as explained by SB Nation's Steven Godfrey and Matt Brown.



"Godfrey: Not to play with hyperbole, but considering the long-standing campaign for BYU to join a Power 5 (most likely the Pac-12 or Big 12), is this the most important hire in the program's modern history?



"Matt: I don't think it is hyperbolic at all. BYU cannot afford to drop into mediocrity now. This athletic program will be in a tough spot if it misses the hire and goes 4-8 over the next few seasons."



https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/19/10221722/byu-cougars-coaching-search-hire-kalani-sitake
Advertisement
G
Guest
Kalani's contract runs through next year.
F
frdbtr
I think it is in the best interests of the players and the future of BYU football to fire Sitake ASAP. He is not working, it is time to get off the pot. Ed lamb is a proven successful head coach and IMO would make better decisions going forward and could save the season. I, personally, would give him the opportunity to be the HC moving forward but I am not the one who believes that a HC at BYU has to have a temple recommend either.
F
Fido
hawkwing wrote:

Kalani's contract runs through next year.


If this team hasn't turned around by the end of next year, I don't see how any coach could feel hard done to be out of his job.
F
frdbtr
Fido wrote:


Kalani's contract runs through next year.


If this team hasn't turned around by the end of next year, I don't see how any coach could feel hard done to be out of his job.


If he is retained after this season, it is going to be very hard for me to watch BYU football next year. I really just can't stand watching them right now. This is the worst I have seen BYU look in my lifetime and that includes the Crowton years. At least Crowton's teams looked like all they needed to do was fix a couple of in game mistakes and BYU would be good. I felt like they could compete with all the teams on the schedule. Last years and this years team, I really just don't know what to expect other than a loss.
G
Gunk
BYU won't fire Sitake because they don't want to pay out his contract. He's here till his contract expires. Now, that may not be the case for Grimes. Expect a new OC next season and Sitake works to try and have an amazing season next year so BYU renews his contract.



Holmoe and BYU are risk adverse. They will wait for the contract to expire so they can save face and "be nice."
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Gunk wrote:

BYU won't fire Sitake because they don't want to pay out his contract. He's here till his contract expires.


I don't think they have the same hesitation to pay out the contract of the guy who persuaded them to pay out Detmer's contract, especially for just one season and with attendance and positive engagement in a nosedive.
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:


BYU won't fire Sitake because they don't want to pay out his contract. He's here till his contract expires.


I don't think they have the same hesitation to pay out the contract of the guy who persuaded them to pay out Detmer's contract, especially for just one season and with attendance and positive engagement in a nosedive.


True...



Wonder if that means Holmoe has to go to boosters or not to get the money.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:


BYU won't fire Sitake because they don't want to pay out his contract. He's here till his contract expires.


I don't think they have the same hesitation to pay out the contract of the guy who persuaded them to pay out Detmer's contract, especially for just one season and with attendance and positive engagement in a nosedive.


Sitake's last coaches show was a ghost town. If they keep him for another year, BYU is stupid. He is going to leave a worse mess for the next guy than Bronco had to clean up when he took over.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.