Archived Topic

Zack Wilson will start against Hawaii per Jay Drew

by hawkwing · 10/11/2018

Advertisement
G
Guest
https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/1050424002789826560



I do think it's time to start Wilson, but I how much of what we've seen has been because of the play-calling? Receivers dropping easy catches? Poor run blocking? Bad defense?



Wilson will provide a spark, but it's only a small piece of the puzzle.



It seems like BYU's offense has been changing, starting to focus more on downfield passing, where through the first 4-5 games it's been an extremely short based game with few routes even going beyond 10 yards downfield. Now I see that as starting to open up more.
G
Gunk
Wilson won't fix defense giving up 35 points.



Wilson won't fix dropped passes.



I feel they are starting Wilson to placate fans and cover for the oline since Wilson is better at scrambling.



I think it's stupid...but what do I know.
B
byufan4ever
Ok who is QB3 so I can start calling for him to start now? :lol:
K
KingCoug
Anyone else worried the current train wreck of a coaching staff could hurt Wilson's development?
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
KingCoug wrote:

Anyone else worried the current train wreck of a coaching staff could hurt Wilson's development?


"Could" hurt his development? That's being generous!
J
Jarhead
It's time to start Wilson. If nothing changes.....nothing changes.
G
Gunk
KingCoug wrote:

Anyone else worried the current train wreck of a coaching staff could hurt Wilson's development?


Could hurt him.
S
SpiffCoug
If Kalani wants to be the head coach at BYU after this Christmas then he needs to make a change. I'm not sure that Magnum has played his way onto the bench. But I do think he hasn't done enough to warrant remaining on the field. It's time to see if offensive production can change with a change in QB.



In Mangum's last 15 starts, he has had a higher PER than opposing defenses in just four games.
M
mtnradio
I'm afraid that I see KS consistently using the offense as the scapegoat ... first it was Ty, now it is Mangum. Maybe Wilson will perform well ... maybe not, maybe this coaching staff will screw up his development ... I hope not. I'm not impressed with the change. As has been said on other threads ... Tuiaki is the one that should be benched. This doesn't fix the D at all. This doesn't fix the heart of the team at all. This doesn't fix the myriad of other problems ... maybe I've just gotten really cynical and down on this team and staff ....
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:

Anyone else worried the current train wreck of a coaching staff could hurt Wilson's development?


Worried isn't strong enough. I'm terrified of it. I'm almost certain of it. I hope he does well, but if he comes out and struggles and they pull him for Mangum, both our QB's will be damaged goods. This is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Last time we had a QB merry go round was with Crowton and he destroyed some pretty good talent doing it.
G
Gunk
frdbtr wrote:


Anyone else worried the current train wreck of a coaching staff could hurt Wilson's development?


Worried isn't strong enough. I'm terrified of it. I'm almost certain of it. I hope he does well, but if he comes out and struggles and they pull him for Mangum, both our QB's will be damaged goods. This is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Last time we had a QB merry go round was with Crowton and he destroyed some pretty good talent doing it.


Don't forget Heaps vs Riley, Riley vs Heaps, and Hill's in and out. We've been in a QB revolving door for nearly a decade.
M
mtnradio
Gunk wrote:


KingCoug wrote:

Anyone else worried the current train wreck of a coaching staff could hurt Wilson's development?


Worried isn't strong enough. I'm terrified of it. I'm almost certain of it. I hope he does well, but if he comes out and struggles and they pull him for Mangum, both our QB's will be damaged goods. This is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Last time we had a QB merry go round was with Crowton and he destroyed some pretty good talent doing it.


Don't forget Heaps vs Riley, Riley vs Heaps, and Hill's in and out. We've been in a QB revolving door for nearly a decade.


Oh how the mighty have fallen ...

From "Quarterback U" ... to this ..... :sick:
A
ABYUFAN
When do we get to start calling for Hoge?
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:

If Kalani wants to be the head coach at BYU after this Christmas then he needs to make a change. I'm not sure that Magnum has played his way onto the bench. But I do think he hasn't done enough to warrant remaining on the field. It's time to see if offensive production can change with a change in QB.



In Mangum's last 15 starts, he has had a higher PER than opposing defenses in just four games.

This is probably the strongest argument I've seen for starting Wilson. And I get the "prep for the future" even if I don't fully agree with it. I think Tanner was looking much better 2nd half of the utah state game and he had an excellent game against Washington. I think his coaches, the offense, the line, the receivers let him down. Frankly, if suddenly the team looks entirely new with Wilson as a starter I'll be disappointed that the coaches couldn't get the team to play decent football with Mangum at the helm.



Another concern that I have. BYU the first couple games looked like their game plan was to march down the field on the back of their o-line and running game SEC style. And against AZ and Wisc it worked well. I think Tanner was told to not make any mistakes and take what the defense gave in front of him instead of taking many shots downfield. I have no idea, but my theory is that he was doing what he was told and trying and following directions. And he had several dropped passes that would have made him look like the hero again WHEN he did take shots.



If Wilson comes out and suddenly the offense looks wide open, carefree and wilson is slinging, I'll be disappointed that the 2 QB were given 2 different expectations. I have nothing against Wilson, I hope he plays well and BYU starts winning again. It's just sad that Tanner will be the scapegoat when in reality the coaches are having some major growing pains (again) and the way it's been handled could have been better.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
mtnradio wrote:

I'm afraid that I see KS consistently using the offense as the scapegoat ... first it was Ty, now it is Mangum. Maybe Wilson will perform well ... maybe not, maybe this coaching staff will screw up his development ... I hope not. I'm not impressed with the change. As has been said on other threads ... Tuiaki is the one that should be benched. This doesn't fix the D at all. This doesn't fix the heart of the team at all. This doesn't fix the myriad of other problems ... maybe I've just gotten really cynical and down on this team and staff ....


Well remember that our Defensive coordinator's motto is the offense must score a lot of points for BYU to win games. I don't care if he said it in jest, it's pathetic. I'd be much happier had he answered "don't let the other team score".
J
Jarhead
This isn’t just about Mangum. Wilson nearly earned this job outright during fall camp (I think the deciding factor was Mangum’s seniority). Why shouldn’t he get a shot to play? Mangum has not been lights out.
F
frdbtr
Jarhead wrote:

This isn’t just about Mangum. Wilson nearly earned this job outright during fall camp (I think the deciding factor was Mangum’s seniority). Why shouldn’t he get a shot to play? Mangum has not been lights out.


That's not what the head coach and offensive coordinator told the media after announcing Tanner won the job in fall camp. Both of them said that Tanner separated himself more and more as fall camp progressed and did not win the job out of default.
J
Jarhead
frdbtr wrote:


This isn’t just about Mangum. Wilson nearly earned this job outright during fall camp (I think the deciding factor was Mangum’s seniority). Why shouldn’t he get a shot to play? Mangum has not been lights out.


That's not what the head coach and offensive coordinator told the media after announcing Tanner won the job in fall camp. Both of them said that Tanner separated himself more and more as fall camp progressed and did not win the job out of default.


Sorry if my post was confusing. I personally think Mangums seniority had a lot to do with him starting (in a neck and neck race). This is not something the coaches said. What the coaches did say is that Wilson gave Mangum a serious run for his money and was close to winning the job.



With that said, if the coaches feel like Mangum is underperforming, I have no problem with them inserting Wilson.
G
Gunk
I have no confidence in our coaches' ability to assess talent and utilize that talent to its full extent.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.