Archived Topic

Step off the LEDGE!!

by Yzzazz · 10/8/2018

Advertisement
Y
Yzzazz
Just Wow.



Did anyone else besides me on this board expect the Aggies to beat BYU? I was worried about it happening even if they HAD beat Washington.



News flash: USU has a good great team this year. The outcome of that game is in NO WAY a reflection of the wheels coming off the bus. The loss in Washington showed that they were barely on, and that the coaching staff (on both sides of the ball) has a limited ability to adjust. Don't know whether that is the lack of player talent or lack of scheme or lack of imagination or what but what it is NOT is an indication of a program in peril.



Everyone seems to be expected another 4-9 year. Not going to happen. The only questions left are whether Boise State or Utah will be losses. BYU will win all other games. at 2-3, four more wins is a bowl game. Disappointing as it may be, it won't be the end of the world. Hopefully we can get a better defensive coordinator in the off-season as I think Grimes has some upside and the DC clearly let squandered an excellent squad by allowing them to be to easy to scout.



I am surprised that a fanbase that was very clear about thinking it unrealistic to expect the Huskies to lose is somehow shocked at the loss to the Aggies. The cougs will do better from here out, if only because they face weaker competition and can get some people (like Squally) back from injury.
G
Guest
Just explain to me how Utah State has vastly superior athletes at every position on the field with recruiting rankings and numbers and I'll go with you that this is not an indication of the wheels coming off the bus.
S
snoscythe
Being okay with USU being a superior team is not okay.
G
Gunk
Two years in a row. USU is "better" than us two years in a row? I'm not okay with that. They should never be better than us.



Home losses to Cal and USU. Only home win this season so far is to a FCS team.
F
frdbtr
I expected a loss. I didn't expect to get dominated physically. That is the reason I am on the fire Kalani band wagon again.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Great responses to the original post that seems to miss the point.



You don't lose to Utah State. Ever.



And you certainly don't lose to them by a 25 point margin in Provo.



And you absolutely, positively don't lose to them two years in a row.



But most of all, the loss to Utah State is just indicative of much bigger issues with BYU football. This isn't just about one game.
A
a1247
It's not 1980nothing anymore. USU is now a decent program. We all need to accept that and stop thinking BYU is better just because we're BYU and they are USU. The days of BYU walking in and getting a win against USU with our 3rd string and walk-ons is over. I'm not saying it makes losing to them ok it's doesn't.



Is anyone else realizing that BYU has fallen behind because of there own stuborness and unwillingness to change and has been passed up not only by Utah but by USU as well.
B
BroncoBot
Is Matt wells LDS?
A
a1247
BroncoBot wrote:

Is Matt wells LDS?


Doesn't matter if he is, he played and graduated from USU. He's an aggie through and through.
J
Jarhead
So after what you saw the last two games, you’re guaranteeing a win against Hawaii?
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
a1247 wrote:


Is Matt wells LDS?


Doesn't matter if he is, he played and graduated from USU. He's an aggie through and through.

Good for him, and USU then. If they get a great coach who sticks around for a while, they're going to be hard to beat for years to come.
T
tmoney35
I believe the OP meant to say was "step away from the ledge". This thread is just encouraging me to take that leap :lol:



But seriously though, what I was during that game was an unfocused, undisciplined, unmotivated team that didn't have the mental fortitude to hang with USU after getting punched in the mouth that first quarter. To me, that's on the coaches. They didn't come ready to play and it's a recurring theme with this staff
K
KingCoug
tmoney35 wrote:

I believe the OP meant to say was "step away from the ledge". This thread is just encouraging me to take that leap :lol:



But seriously though, what I was during that game was an unfocused, undisciplined, unmotivated team that didn't have the mental fortitude to hang with USU after getting punched in the mouth that first quarter. To me, that's on the coaches. They didn't come ready to play and it's a recurring theme with this staff


Exactly.



The Wisconsin game showed this team can play tough and motivated but that's not what we saw the last two games.



That's a coaching issue, first and foremost, but it also shows we have players who, while they like to win, don't hate to lose.



Just a huge disappointment all around.
F
frdbtr
Hawaii is 6-1 and is going to come into Lavell Edwards stadium expecting a win. I don't see this team overcoming that. Not after what I have seen out of them the last 3 games. If McNeese had had bigger players, they would have beat us too. We overmatched them in size and physicality is the only reason we dominated them.
C
Cougarfan87
I have stepped off the ledge. I'm done with this coaching staff. At best, I see Sitake as another Whittingham that can motivate to win some big games, but never coach consistent winners. I'm ready to see what we could do with someone else. And I would have been fine with Ken N's option, or the Standford DC. I wanted it to work out for Kalani. I don't think it will.



I don't blame the Independent Schedule. All Bronco needed to do in my mind was beat Utah. That was his only shortcoming in the program. In short, I just want someone who beats the rival at least 50% of the time, beats all other FBS non-power 5 teams 80% of the time, and plays competitively against the P5s, beating them regularly. That is the type of program BYU should be to me. Anything less is underachieving.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I don't blame the Independent Schedule. All Bronco needed to do in my mind was beat Utah. That was his only shortcoming in the program. In short, I just want someone who beats the rival at least 50% of the time, beats all other FBS non-power 5 teams 80% of the time, and plays competitively against the P5s, beating them regularly. That is the type of program BYU should be to me. Anything less is underachieving.


+1
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.