Y
YzzazzAnyone else struck by the similarities of this game and the Michigan game a few years ago? I think it's worth looking at: it's early in the season, BYU appears to have a reasonably good team, the defense seemed stellar at times, the offense could use some work but hey they're good enough, surely the team will at least show well, but in the end its a disaster. One that is hard to explain.
I thought Michigan must have stolen BYU's playbook because they had countered BYU's schemes so well. Washington played out almost exactly the same. I was impressed that the Huskies were so effective at everything they were doing. They looked SO much better in that BYU game than they ever looked in any game before that.
Not even the Las Vegas line predicted that BYU players would perform so poorly in Seattle. Most people, even fans, thought BYU would win, but no one predicted the UW would nearly shut BYU out.
Why did BYU make Washington look so good? I think it might have come down to something very simple. Corbin and Tanner. So it doesn't take much to stifle Tanner. Just apply pressure. Now why our offensive line couldn't give a Wisconsin-game performance, I don't have an answer, but clearly they didn't and the run game was nothing which meant they could pressure easily and Tanner was neutralized. Same outcome at Michigan.
But then why didn't the defense hold firm? What was with that? I got to thinking about the fact that TakiTaki looked like a beast and was all over Wisconsin's tailback in large part because Corbin Kafusi was constantly disrupting and it made Sione's job easier. Could it be that all Washington had to do was shut down Corbin and the rest was simple?
Shut down Corbin and the defense is subpar, shut down Tanner (good or bad QB, as a QB he is still the linchpin of the jet-sweep offense) and the offense is non-existent. Was it that simple? Is that what Michigan did too with Bronson?
I could grouse about how much holding Washington was doing, but they got nailed for it a couple times and BYU was unable to capitalize on it anyway, so in the end, the BYU defense just didn't have what it took to stay with them.
So disappointing to think they simply got lucky against Wisconsin, but how else do you interpret it?
I thought Michigan must have stolen BYU's playbook because they had countered BYU's schemes so well. Washington played out almost exactly the same. I was impressed that the Huskies were so effective at everything they were doing. They looked SO much better in that BYU game than they ever looked in any game before that.
Not even the Las Vegas line predicted that BYU players would perform so poorly in Seattle. Most people, even fans, thought BYU would win, but no one predicted the UW would nearly shut BYU out.
Why did BYU make Washington look so good? I think it might have come down to something very simple. Corbin and Tanner. So it doesn't take much to stifle Tanner. Just apply pressure. Now why our offensive line couldn't give a Wisconsin-game performance, I don't have an answer, but clearly they didn't and the run game was nothing which meant they could pressure easily and Tanner was neutralized. Same outcome at Michigan.
But then why didn't the defense hold firm? What was with that? I got to thinking about the fact that TakiTaki looked like a beast and was all over Wisconsin's tailback in large part because Corbin Kafusi was constantly disrupting and it made Sione's job easier. Could it be that all Washington had to do was shut down Corbin and the rest was simple?
Shut down Corbin and the defense is subpar, shut down Tanner (good or bad QB, as a QB he is still the linchpin of the jet-sweep offense) and the offense is non-existent. Was it that simple? Is that what Michigan did too with Bronson?
I could grouse about how much holding Washington was doing, but they got nailed for it a couple times and BYU was unable to capitalize on it anyway, so in the end, the BYU defense just didn't have what it took to stay with them.
So disappointing to think they simply got lucky against Wisconsin, but how else do you interpret it?

