Archived Topic

Poll: Would you be satisfied with this kind of schedule?

by KingCoug · 9/30/2018

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
1. Weber St (FCS)

2. Boise St (MWC)

3. Navy (AAC)

4. Hawaii (MWC)

5. Utah St (MWC)

6. Air Force ((MWC)

7. Notre Dame (IND)

8. Army (IND)

9. UMass (IND)

10. Liberty (IND)

11. New Mexico St (IND)

12. Utah (PAC 12)
J
Jarhead
It’s pretty good. I think you may need to mix in an additional p5 opponent sometimes, but not always. I wish Notre Dame had more interest in playing us.
1
1967cougar
I’d rather take a pretty girl on a date and have her tell me she doesn’t like me than to live my life dating ugly girls.
J
Jarhead
I feel I need to add that I’m enjoying the schedule this year. If we finish out with a winning record, I will have had a fun year. If the team goes off the rails, it won’t be because of the schedule.
M
mormonrasta
That schedule would be in a step in the right direction. Maybe 1 more P5, but no more than that.
Advertisement
F
Fido
If that schedule is what you are going to play, is ESPN motivated to pay you what they are for your TV deal? If you are only going to have 2 P5 teams on a schedule you might as well join a G5 conference and admit you are 2nd tier.
S
scott715
Half of the schedule are deadweight, +100 teams.
G
Gunk
Nope. So we want to be a top 25 program or not? That's not a top 25 schedule.
K
KingCoug
So, for the "No's", how many P5 games should BYU schedule each season?
J
jvquarterback
That's UCFs schedule. Maybe a little worse.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I don't want to play ND again. They used us to get two home games with no intention of ever coming to Provo.
K
KingCoug
SpiffCoug wrote:

I don't want to play ND again. They used us to get two home games with no intention of ever coming to Provo.


Wasn't it originally a 2 for 1 agreement? Did they ever pay BYU for not coming to Provo?



I'd have more respect for Holmoe's scheduling if he could have locked in a yearly game with Notre Dame.
G
Guest
Awful schedule. absolutely the most boring schedule I've ever seen.
F
Fido
KingCoug wrote:


I don't want to play ND again. They used us to get two home games with no intention of ever coming to Provo.


Wasn't it originally a 2 for 1 agreement? Did they ever pay BYU for not coming to Provo?



I'd have more respect for Holmoe's scheduling if he could have locked in a yearly game with Notre Dame.


It was originally two 2 for 1 deals. The second 2 for 1 was cancelled by mutual agreement after Notre Dame signed the ACC scheduling deal. Holmoe indicated he understood a change to your schedule and hoped for similar goodwill if BYU were to ever join a conference again. The first deal has played the two @ Notre Dame and there is still a return game to be played. Holmoe hasn't said the return trip to Notre Dame was cancelled and said he would be very patient in waiting for the return game. It was well understood not to be possible until at least 2020 with other schedule commitments. We are still in wait and see mode.



So the respect bar for scheduling is something that only 3 teams currently have with Notre Dame (Navy, Stanford, USC) when Notre Dame would have zero motivation to agree to such a deal? :skeptic: that would put him in the pantheon 🏛
M
Mars
KingCoug wrote:
9. UMass (IND)

10. Liberty (IND)

11. New Mexico St (IND)

Replace those 3 with UNLV, SDSU, and TCU. Then replace a couple MWC teams a year with Arizona, Baylor, etc.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
Yes I would. I miss the Edwards years when we'd win these games and sometimes beat these big schools. It is not boring when you win. The big schools have far more money than BYU does. I agree with Mars, work in some of these other schools.
K
KingCoug
nuk13 wrote:

Yes I would. I miss the Edwards years when we'd win these games and sometimes beat these big schools. It is not boring when you win. The big schools have far more money than BYU does. I agree with Mars, work in some of these other schools.


The thinking with the poll example is a schedule that is similar to the Boise State model, i.e. maybe 2 P5 opponents during the season in hopes of going undefeated (or nearly so) and getting to a NY6 bowl.



Of course, this won't due for fans who want a more exciting regular season by playing more P5 opponents. Which then beings up the second question - how many P5 teams should we be playing each year?
M
mormonrasta
Gunk wrote:

Nope. So we want to be a top 25 program or not? That's not a top 25 schedule.


We have a better chance of being a too 25 program by beating G5 teams rather than losing to P5 teams.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.