Archived Topic

Flake needs to never work in public office again. Not even dogcatcher.

by imuakahuku · 9/28/2018

Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
This guy is an embarrassment. Why do so few strong people run for Republican seats in Congress? :angry:
J
jadesroom
I doubt he will be elected to another office if he runs as a Republican.
S
SpiffCoug
Maybe. There are some rumors out there that the GOP didn't have enough votes. But by having the "delay" senators like Murkowski (R-AK), Collins (R-ME), Manchin (D-WV), and Heitkamp (D-ND) will be on board with voting yes if nothing turns up. Manchin and Heitkamp want to vote yes for re-election purposes, but it might be necessary to keep Murkowski and Collins.
K
KingCoug
I think Flake (fitting name by the way) is retiring so he isn't worried about political blowback. But he is coward. Backs down because a couple crazy women yell at him in an elevator. But he said he will vote for Kavenaugh after the week is up. I think the Republicans have the votes and Trump didn't make this pick just to wait around until November.



The obvious should be pointed out that those women aren't what the Democrats care about. Their guy, Bill Clinton, was accused of similar things and none of them cared. What this circus is all about is keeping things like abortion and gay marriage legal. Liberals have spent years turning the Supreme Court into a political weapon and they are terrified it could be used against them. That's why they have been fighting tooth and nail against this.
S
snoscythe
This was the first public move in his 2020 campaign for the GOP nomination.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
I think Flake may have saved the Republican party’s mid term election prospects and keeping the Senate. Kavanaugh is still likely to be confirmed, absent some amazing thing the FBI turns up. Having taken extra time to investigate before confirming will appease some needed independent and moderate voters.
G
Guest
I think it was a brilliant move. When nothing turns up (assuming it won't) no legitimate reason for anyone not to confirm.
U
uncoug
I don't mind being a voice of dissent. As the husband of a rape survivor, I can tell you that my wife didn't tell me what happened until we were married more than a decade. She is in her mid forties and still cannot face the situation and talk about it. There are many of us who have family members, loved ones, and friends, who have been assaulted and harassed. Most never do talk about it and they definitely won't now. I would rather a job interview (this is what this whole thing is) and accusations get looked into in depth. Who would have thought that Thomas L. Monson had issues even though his dad ended up being a prophet? His issue as far as we know was simply harassment and it took a lawsuit to get dealt with.



Before you think I am being political when it comes to the American style government, I am not. I am political when it comes to bringing awareness to the plight of primary and secondary sexual assault victims and survivors. I was at a wonderful event last friday that raises money to fund support services and counseling for victims as well as training youth on how to be leaders when it comes to assault education and training young men on how they can be leaders in this respect. The organization got some flack from a local group because the keynote speaker is a strong 2nd amendment supporter and they weren't happy with it. She was amazing BTW. As I heard from a member of the organizations committee "Assault isn't blind to political affiliation, religion, job title, or education level. The blindness is usually by those who simply don't want to acknowledge it could happen to their loved ones and by those they call family or friends".



Flake gave the entire Republican establishment an out by saying to simply look into it as any CEO would do for a new CFO or an NFL GM about a player. I could care less about the political affiliation. At least Flake has the integrity to put thought into the "what if" vs being blind and simply voting party.



This is sure to not be a popular opinion but I felt I would give it since this board is often a fishbowl. To anyone on this board who was ever hurt in this manner and labels themself a "Survivor", know that you are stronger than I ever hope to be. If this is something you have carried for years for yourself or a loved one, know that there are resources available to you.



https://www.ucasa.org/resources
M
Mars
I don't see the negative to facing the allegations directly. If he did it, we should know. If he didn't, this should help to validate him. Nothing wrong with taking a serious accusation seriously.
G
Guest
The biggest problem is those who knew about these allegations yet sat on them for months in order to try to derail the nomination process. Those people are playing dirty politics with someone's life.
Advertisement
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:

The biggest problem is those who knew about these allegations yet sat on them for months in order to try to derail the nomination process. Those people are playing dirty politics with someone's life.

Very true. But that would also damage the victim, not invalidate her claims.
G
Guest
Mars wrote:


The biggest problem is those who knew about these allegations yet sat on them for months in order to try to derail the nomination process. Those people are playing dirty politics with someone's life.

Very true. But that would also damage the victim, not invalidate her claims.

I'd say it's just as damaging to the accuser as to the accused. Someone who had their accusations treated so flippantly should be extremely disappointed and upset with the way they were wrongfully used by people in order to score political points.
J
jvquarterback
So I'll preface this by saying I don't like Kavanaugh for his poor 4th amendment record and I would prefer just about any other judge on Trump's list.



As a political tool though I think this actually helps Republicans in the upcoming elections the longer this draws out. Flake has done Republicans a solid by taking one for the team. This will backfire on the Democrats.



Republicans have done the research on this topic to see how it plays out in the polls. Robed, unelected Kings and Queens are the one thing that will get Republicans out to vote in November. I don't think those kings an queens will change the rules on infanticide but enough Republicans will vote to hold onto the Senate.
B
BroncoBot
jvquarterback wrote:

So I'll preface this by saying I don't like Kavanaugh for his poor 4th amendment record and I would prefer just about any other judge on Trump's list.



As a political tool though I think this actually helps Republicans in the upcoming elections the longer this draws out. Flake has done Republicans a solid by taking one for the team. This will backfire on the Democrats.



Republicans have done the research on this topic to see how it plays out in the polls. Robed, unelected Kings and Queens are the one thing that will get Republicans out to vote in November. I don't think they'll change the rules on infanticide but enough Republicans will to hold onto the Senate.
hawkwing wrote:

The biggest problem is those who knew about these allegations yet sat on them for months in order to try to derail the nomination process. Those people are playing dirty politics with someone's life.

I'm lukewarm on Kavanaugh as well, but felt the way this entire thing was handled was a mockery.

As hawk pointed out, the real shame here is the way the dems held onto the allegation as a trump card for the last minute. (and why did she go directy to the dems???) democrats might be outraged right now, but of those on Trump's list, Kavanaugh seems one of the most likely to help their causes.
C
CrimsonCoug
Flake certainly didn't take the easy road on this. It would have been much easier for him to get in line. But he has a heart and a conscience. I respect him for standing up, even--especially--if it means against his party.



He also saved the Senate for the Republicans in the last election. Without that delay, this article never gets written:



https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/07/gop-credits-kavanaugh-effect-for-senate-wins-against-red-state-democrats.html



I have absolutely no respect at all for Feinstein sitting on these allegations and then her staff leaking it to the press at the most politically opportune moment. That trivializes the experience of Dr Ford, the record of Judge Kavanaugh, and the advise and consent responsibility outlined in the constitution. Despicable.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Agreed.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.