Archived Topic

Two observations based on limited reps visible.

by SpiffCoug · 9/23/2018

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I saw nothing from Zach Wilson or Riley Burt to make me believe their positions on the depth chart are wrong.
B
BroncoBot
Agreed. I'd like to see more reps for Burt. But squally has done a great job so far.
S
snoscythe
Wilson's one completed pass was a low throw on a gimme--receiver was 3 yards short of the sticks on third down. that receiver's going to be wide open every single time, because that's who the defense wants you to throw it to.
A
a1247
Riley had a few decent runs, but he also had a few where he just seemed to look at the ground and run right into the backs of his offensive line.

Wilson didn't get the chance to do much. The coaches kept Tanner in far longer then I expected them to. I think they were trying to give him confidence by letting him pass against a D2 defense. It didn't work, he just isn't a good qb. He can't make a second read to save himself. He has no ability to get the ball into tight windows and let's face it. Even if he did get it into that tight window these receivers can't won't make the catch. Even Collie has regressed as a receiver. Bushman has regressed so much hes struggling to get on the field.
M
Mars
a1247 wrote:

Riley had a few decent runs, but he also had a few where he just seemed to look at the ground and run right into the backs of his offensive line.

Wilson didn't get the chance to do much. The coaches kept Tanner in far longer then I expected them to. I think they were trying to give him confidence by letting him pass against a D2 defense. It didn't work, he just isn't a good qb. He can't make a second read to save himself. He has no ability to get the ball into tight windows and let's face it. Even if he did get it into that tight window these receivers can't won't make the catch. Even Collie has regressed as a receiver. Bushman has regressed so much hes struggling to get on the field.

It's funny because last year's TE coach was the only offensive coordinator not to get fired, largely due to his success with Bushman.
Advertisement
A
a1247
Mars wrote:


Riley had a few decent runs, but he also had a few where he just seemed to look at the ground and run right into the backs of his offensive line.

Wilson didn't get the chance to do much. The coaches kept Tanner in far longer then I expected them to. I think they were trying to give him confidence by letting him pass against a D2 defense. It didn't work, he just isn't a good qb. He can't make a second read to save himself. He has no ability to get the ball into tight windows and let's face it. Even if he did get it into that tight window these receivers can't won't make the catch. Even Collie has regressed as a receiver. Bushman has regressed so much hes struggling to get on the field.

It's funny because last year's TE coach was the only offensive coordinator not to get fired, largely due to his success with Bushman.


I like Clark I think he's a good coach. And i was happy he kept his job.

I guess we do have to remember that last year had Moroni Laulu-Pututau not been injured Bushman wouldnt have had the chances he did. It might not be a coincidence that MLP is healthy this year and Bushman has taken a hit in playing time.
J
Jarhead
SpiffCoug wrote:

I saw nothing from Zach Wilson or Riley Burt to make me believe their positions on the depth chart are wrong.


Wilson got very few meaningful reps. And actually I thought his low throw was well considered with the defender coming to “light up” that defenseless receiver from behind. Not perfectly executed, but not a terrible throw.



He didn’t look polished, but I would have liked to have seen what he could have done on a few series where the offensive line didn’t get a penalty and where the coaches were still willing to run meaningful plays.



Burt did not impress.
S
snoscythe
Jarhead wrote:
Wilson got very few meaningful reps. And actually I thought his low throw was well considered with the defender coming to “light up” that defenseless receiver from behind. Not perfectly executed, but not a terrible throw.


Given the situation it was a terrible throw.



He had to get 16 yards to move the sticks. Instead he checks down to a receiver 3 yards short and throws low to where the receiver has no chance to make a move and pick up the first down. It was a completion that resulted in a failed third down conversion and a punt.
B
BroncoBot
I'm fine with playing mangum and letting Wilson grow into his role with BYU. Grimes has turned mangum into a low risk low reward QB which is winning games. It's all I need right now.

I get tired of fans like @sportsguyryan trying to create a QB controversy out of thin air.
J
Jarhead
snoscythe wrote:

Wilson got very few meaningful reps. And actually I thought his low throw was well considered with the defender coming to “light up” that defenseless receiver from behind. Not perfectly executed, but not a terrible throw.


Given the situation it was a terrible throw.



He had to get 16 yards to move the sticks. Instead he checks down to a receiver 3 yards short and throws low to where the receiver has no chance to make a move and pick up the first down. It was a completion that resulted in a failed third down conversion and a punt.


The throw wasn’t perfectly executed, but I get the idea. If he puts it just a bit higher (but still going low in general), the receiver can go low to grab it away from any interference from the defender while still having a chance to make a play afterward.



I guess my definition of what the word terrible means is not the same as others. It wasn’t a great throw, but it wasn’t terrible.
Advertisement
S
scott715
He was doing what he was taught. Low risk throw. Do not get an interception.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.