Archived Topic

Old Dominion

by tmoney35 · 9/23/2018

Advertisement
T
tmoney35
29 point underdogs to #13 VT.



They were 0-3 going into this game including a 42 point beatdown at the hands of Liberty.



Their starting QB goes down early. The backup is a walk-on...at an FCS school.



The backup goes for 495 yards with 5 TDs in a 49-35 win!



I know we didn't exactly light it up today, but remember, it could've been worse.
G
Gunk
tmoney35 wrote:

29 point underdogs to #13 VT.



They were 0-3 going into this game including a 42 point beatdown at the hands of Liberty.



Their starting QB goes down early. The backup is a walk-on...at an FCS school.



The backup goes for 495 yards with 5 TDs in a 49-35 win!



I know we didn't exactly light it up today, but remember, it could've been worse.

Thank you.



It does make me wish we had a QB that could sling it and receivers that could catch.
F
frdbtr
We have a QB who can sling it. We saw that in 2015. We don't, however, have any receivers who can get open or catch it when they are. We have had horrible dropped passes all year. If we complete a couple more of those, our offensive coaches have more faith in our passing game to call more of them. Right now, they have no confidence in the passing game so they run the ball with 11 in the box.
C
CrimsonCoug
frdbtr wrote:

We have a QB who can sling it. We saw that in 2015. We don't, however, have any receivers who can get open or catch it when they are. We have had horrible dropped passes all year. If we complete a couple more of those, our offensive coaches have more faith in our passing game to call more of them. Right now, they have no confidence in the passing game so they run the ball with 11 in the box.


That's a good point. It should have been obvious, but it wasn't to me. Coaches are moving away from throwing because of the receivers as a whole.



However, I think in the Washington game, that BYU will have a more balanced approach. The body of work at this point has been run-heavy, and that history will be used to set up the pass.
B
byufan4ever
We do not have a QB that can sling it anymore. I haven't watched today's Coordinator Corner myself, but per a post I saw elsewhere (not on CC):


If ya'll haven't seen today's coordinator corner, check it out. Grimes shares the frustration about Tanner and the passing game that some here have expressed. He says the opening play was underthrown and Romney had to slow down and come back to it. He says there are many plays that he doesn't let develop long enough to make a better choice.



He acknowledges he's happy with the points and the win, but says they have spent so much time working on the passing that he's frustrated with the numbers and knows there will be a game in the near future where the QB is going to have to step up and make big plays.


Also:


He (Grimes) places blame on the inefficient passing on all areas though. Says the line isn't blocking as good as they should, the QB is rushing his progression not making all of his reads, and the WRs are not running crisp routes and not always catching it.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Yeah...there are too many passes that aren't on the money.



Go watch the highlight of the 2008 team on the other thread. Hall is throwing dimes across the field.



I know the receivers stink and yes, if a receiver can get his hands on the ball he should catch it, but a lot of passes seem to be thrown short, long, or behind receivers. They're just off mark.
B
byufan4ever
And I would challenge people to go back and watch a game from 2015 that isn't one of the first two games of the season. Those two hail mary TD game winners are probably etched into a lot of people's minds so he must still be a great QB!



Last year I re-watched a game from 2015 to get myself pumped up about Tanner and the upcoming 2017 season. I randomly picked the Cincinnati game from BYUtv. We won game, scored 38 points, and threw for a lot of yards. However, I came away less impressed about Tanner than I had remembered him being. Several times in that game he would chuck the ball into the double or triple coverage and then one of our very tall WRs would adjust for the inaccurate throw and then go up and get the ball and make the catch. At least in that game, and I think pretty much all of 2015, it was our awesome WRs making our QB look good. Now we've gone from awesome WRs to piss poor WRs and our QB isn't getting bailed out anymore.
F
frdbtr
byufan4ever wrote:

We do not have a QB that can sling it anymore. I haven't watched today's Coordinator Corner myself, but per a post I saw elsewhere (not on CC):


If ya'll haven't seen today's coordinator corner, check it out. Grimes shares the frustration about Tanner and the passing game that some here have expressed. He says the opening play was underthrown and Romney had to slow down and come back to it. He says there are many plays that he doesn't let develop long enough to make a better choice.



He acknowledges he's happy with the points and the win, but says they have spent so much time working on the passing that he's frustrated with the numbers and knows there will be a game in the near future where the QB is going to have to step up and make big plays.


Also:


He (Grimes) places blame on the inefficient passing on all areas though. Says the line isn't blocking as good as they should, the QB is rushing his progression not making all of his reads, and the WRs are not running crisp routes and not always catching it.



Hmmm, just went back and watched the play. I have a hard time disagreeing with coach but Tanner took his drop, imediately took 2 steps forward and let it fly. The receiver didn't look like he was slowing down to me and the ball hit him in the hands and he dropped it. I really don't see what coach is talking about.
F
frdbtr
I just listened to Coordinators corner and my assessment of what Grimes said is completely different than what you stated. Grimes definitely said that the passing game needs improvement. He definitely said that they had worked on the passing game in practice a lot during prep for McNeese and was disappointed that it didn't go better but he definitely did not put the blame all on Tanner. He said there was blame to go all around. He did mention that Gunner had to slow down a bit on the 1st play of the McNeese game which I seriously don't see watching the play again but he knows more about football and offense than I ever will so I will have to give him the benefit of my doubt.
J
Jarhead
It's true he didn't hit Gunner totally in stride, but that drop is 100% on the receiver. If fact, I think that pass was an easier pass to catch than one that hits you in stride on a go route in the middle of the field.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
byufan4ever wrote:

We do not have a QB that can sling it anymore. I haven't watched today's Coordinator Corner myself, but per a post I saw elsewhere (not on CC):


If ya'll haven't seen today's coordinator corner, check it out. Grimes shares the frustration about Tanner and the passing game that some here have expressed. He says the opening play was underthrown and Romney had to slow down and come back to it. He says there are many plays that he doesn't let develop long enough to make a better choice.



He acknowledges he's happy with the points and the win, but says they have spent so much time working on the passing that he's frustrated with the numbers and knows there will be a game in the near future where the QB is going to have to step up and make big plays.


Also:


He (Grimes) places blame on the inefficient passing on all areas though. Says the line isn't blocking as good as they should, the QB is rushing his progression not making all of his reads, and the WRs are not running crisp routes and not always catching it.



If it doesn't post to CC, I give it zero credibility.



Right Hawk?
G
Guest
Not on CC, FAKE NEWS!!!
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:

Not on CC, FAKE NEWS!!!


Amen
V
vancouvercougar
hawkwing wrote:

Not on CC, FAKE NEWS!!!


Wait a minute here--you mean there is another cougar message area other than CC?
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I have been watching BYU replays on BYUTV all off season. I have watched all the BYU home games and whatever from 2015 I could find on youtube. Yes, BYU had some pretty good receivers in 15, there were a lot of times that Tanner threw up jump balls and our guys came down with it. That is what a good receiver does, that is why Tanner threw the ball because he trusted his receiver to either catch it or make sure it doesn't get caught by the defense. How many times have you seen that the last 3 years? Tanner looked really good in 15 because he was comfortable with the offense and his receivers, he threw 50/50 balls because he had a high level of confidence that he would get a completion or an incompletion but not an interception. I don't see that confidence this year. He is watching guys, waiting for them to get open because there is no confidence in them. You can say that he just isn't the guy he was but I don't buy that. People don't lose their skills as they get older, does a musician get worse as he gets older? Tanner is still in his 20's, he is not over the hill physically. He is what he was in 15, he doesn't have the same offense or receivers he can trust.
B
byufan4ever
I am going to 100% disagree. Athletes can definitely regress over time even in their physical prime. Yes, a musician's skills can decline. Any person's skill or ability to perform a job or any action can definitely regress from one year to another. Some people hit their peak before others. Somebody in an office job could be an A performer one year and an average performer two years later. I don't think that's unheard of or crazy to say at all.



I was reading the other day about a "mental toughness coach" who said that the number one reason why his clients will fail to be successful either as a parent or at their job is not a lack of skill, but a lack of consistency. So it's definitely not unheard of for someone to be very talented at something and to do well for a short period of time and then to later not see as much success.
F
frdbtr
Musicians only regress if they stop practicing. I have never seen one get worse who continually practiced and tried to refine the skill. Same with in the workplace. Tanner is not the problem here. Our receivers still suck, Trevor Matich harps on this every week. He voices what I see on the field. I don't disagree that Tanner could be better but if we had good receivers no one would be talking about him "regressing".
M
Mars
You ever watch an old band play? Sometimes they simply lose their voice as they age.



Athletes get hurt, and they don't always heal fully. Or they lose confidence. Or they lose dedication. Etc. It happens.
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:

You ever watch an old band play? Sometimes they simply lose their voice as they age.



Athletes get hurt, and they don't always heal fully. Or they lose confidence. Or they lose dedication. Etc. It happens.


I seem to remember you being one of the voices in 16 who knew that Taysom had "lost a step" (have you seen him outrun NFL players in New Orleans?) and we need a true passer to run the detmer offense like Tanner. I seem to remember me making similar statements then that I am now. "Who will Tanner throw too"? Now I am hearing the same song again. I ask again; who will the new guy throw too? Until we get some tough hard nosed receivers who run BYU(slow guys who juke defenders out of their shoes on routes) routes and catch everything they have come their way, it won't matter who is behind center. Remember Eric Drage, Andy Boyce, KO, Austin Collie? Just to name a few. We have nothing like that right now. Last year we blamed coaching, is it Fesi's issue? He was a pretty good Ocoordinator up at Weber. The offensive line was fixed in one off season so why not the receivers. I don't have the answer as you can see but I do know the problem. Maybe it will just take recruiting but I am so sick of this ground hog day.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.