Archived Topic

If BYU Won Out... Would a #1 Seed be Possible?

by Italics · 1/16/2010

Advertisement
I
Italics
Don't give me the "it's too early" lecture, because this is asked completely out of curiosity.



How possible would it be?



Would a one-loss BYU team get a #1 seed over a 2-4 loss Texas, Kentucky, Clemson,Duke, Nova, Kansas etc. ?



I highly highly doubt they would, but if all of the above mentioned teams totally choked and dropped at least 2 or 3 games, you never know
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Since it's all hypothetical anyway, eh, nahhh, I don't think the selection committee would give them a 1, and to be perfectly honest, I think there would be more deserving teams for it (crucify me, I know, but this isn't Football. We're talking about a selection commitee putting together a 65-team tournament here, not a TWO-team tournament). As much as I HATE to say it (since I think UT-Austin being #1 in Basketball is an UNDENIABLE result of the BCS corruption and the way it's skewed public perception and recruiting, even in non-Football sports; they've never been a basketball power before...), but UT-Austin's got some impressive wins. If there were 4 teams with bigtime wins that had dropped 2 or 3 close conference games to decent teams, I wouldn't have a problem with a 2-seed, and you know, that's because strength of schedule and quality wins CAN be taken into account to distinguish between a 1 and a 2, and you're not SCREWING a team out of a shot at the title. 1 or 2 or any other seed, you've gotta go on a 6-game winning streak to be the champion.
S
Schmoe
No, not gonna happen. We've been ranked in the top 25 and gotten 8 and 9 seeds, it doesn't make sense, we just don't have the name to get higher than a 4 seed.
B
BYUROCKS
IF we win out, and everyone else had at least 2 loss, we would be #1 seed, no way to not have it happen.
G
Guest
Don't forget about the "no-sunday 2 seed penalty." Whatever seed the Cougars deserve add 2 to that. It's eerily accurate.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
Don't forget about the "no-sunday 2 seed penalty." Whatever seed the Cougars deserve add 2 to that. It's eerily accurate.


Yep...We win out we'd be lucky to get a 2 seed.
I
Italics
Gunk wrote:
Don't forget about the "no-sunday 2 seed penalty." Whatever seed the Cougars deserve add 2 to that. It's eerily accurate.


Yep...We win out we'd be lucky to get a 2 seed.


Agreed. I'm thinking we'd get a 3 or 4 seed. Didn't :utard: get a 5 seed last year? That leads me to believe that a 3 or 4 seed would be within the realm of possibility. A 2-seed would be a miracle, and a 1-seed would be unthinkable.



Then again, BYU winning out would be a miracle (I think we drop 1 or 2 in conference play).
K
KYCoug
If Ky, Kan, Duke, Tx or Vill finish the season with only 2 losses they will be ranked 1 - 4 and would get the top seeds. Even if we win out and only have one loss. Even a 3 loss team from the ACC, Big East or Kan, or KY or possibly Tx would be seeded higher. I'm not saying that's fair or right, that's just the reality, what has the MWC or the Y shown in the past. I'll be happy if we win out to get a 2 seed, and then we can show we deserve it by knocking off a 1 seed and making it to the final 4.



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville KY
B
BerliNY
No. The BCS applies to Basketball too now.
G
GolfDiveNCougs
KYCoug wrote:
I'll be happy if we win out to get a 2 seed, and then we can show we deserve it by knocking off a 1 seed and making it to the final 4.
I like where your head's at!!! 8)
Advertisement
Y
Y&Brit
If we drop the whole mormon thing yes.
I
Italics
Y&Brit wrote:
If we drop the whole mormon thing yes.


I dunno... do you think Coach Rose can pull it off?
S
scott715
a #1 no way. I think a #3 at best. If we had not lost to USU then there would be a slim chance.
F
FurriousCougar
If we win out, I don't think we would get a 1 seed, but EASILY a 2 seed in my opinion. Call me crazy for saying easily, but it seems pretty clear to me. Look at it this way, we are ranked 17 right now, and it could change depending on how things go today, but I see us breaking the top 15 when the rankings come out on Monday morning, not far into the top 15, 13 would be tops, probably 14. I also reckon that UNLV and New Mexico BOTH have a solid change at moving into the top 25 this week.



With three mountain west teams in the top 25 at one point, and us at around 14 already come Monday, if we win out I can't imagine we wouldn't be ranked in the top 6 in the country. Hypothetically, rankings are supposed to mean NOTHING to the committee, but it would be tough not to give a top 6 team a 2 seed.
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Y&Brit wrote:
If we drop the whole mormon thing yes.

Is that like whole milk? What if we went to being 2% or skim mormons?

:lol:
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
If we won out we'd be 34-1. I think we'd get a #1 seed. In fact I bet we'd be top three in the rankings.
B
BYUROCKS
kitic77 wrote:
If we won out we'd be 34-1. I think we'd get a #1 seed. In fact I bet we'd be top three in the rankings.




I agree, even more so if we play like today the rest of the way 8) 8)
S
scott715
Rankings don't equal seeds. Ranked #6 we still get a 3 seed. UNLV lost to Utah today so they will not be top 25. NM won by 2 at Wy. We will see on Monday. Our best OOC win looks to be ASU and they are far from the rankings.
M
Mars
scott715 wrote:
Our best OOC win looks to be ASU and they are far from the rankings.

Nevada's still probably the slightly better win.
B
BYUROCKS
Mars wrote:
Our best OOC win looks to be ASU and they are far from the rankings.

Nevada's still probably the slightly better win.

I thought Neb was the best ?
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.