Archived Topic

WHOOHOOOHOOO!

by Sammich · 9/15/2018

Advertisement
S
Sammich
I haven't been this excited for BYU in a long time.
S
scott715
We are with you. We watched the BYU post game show this time.
F
frdbtr
Guys, this was probably the biggest shocker of a win since the miracle bowl. BYU had absolutely no shot to win this game. This WI team is legit, they will be in the big championship hunt all year. They were a legit #6 if not better. This is going to play out as one of, if not the best, team BYU has ever beat (end of the year record wise). I still can't believe it. Hopefully this is a prelude to the rest of the year and BYU plays like this from now on.
J
Jarhead
A great game to watch
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:

Guys, this was probably the biggest shocker of a win since the miracle bowl. BYU had absolutely no shot to win this game. This WI team is legit, they will be in the big championship hunt all year. They were a legit #6 if not better. This is going to play out as one of, if not the best, team BYU has ever beat (end of the year record wise). I still can't believe it. Hopefully this is a prelude to the rest of the year and BYU plays like this from now on.


We're all Wisconsin fans the rest of the year.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
I just found out Taylor is a preseason All American pick. Was he any better than Canada? Canada had 118 yards on 11 carries with 2 tds while Taylor had 26 carries for 117 yards and no tds. At least for this game Canada is the All American.



I came back on to add that Southam out kicked their kicker. He made his and that made the difference.
B
BoiseBYU
Game balls to the line play. We were the better. Unbelievable because WI might have the best OLine in CFB this year.
F
frdbtr
nuk13 wrote:

I just found out Taylor is a preseason All American pick. Was he any better than Canada? Canada had 118 yards on 11 carries with 2 tds while Taylor had 26 carries for 117 yards and no tds. At least for this game Canada is the All American.


BYU won in the trenches on both the offensive line and the defensive line (in the run game that is) and that was the difference. Having said that, I love Canada, he is Jamaal Williams light and a very good back. We are lucky to have him.
N
nuk13
frdbtr wrote:


I just found out Taylor is a preseason All American pick. Was he any better than Canada? Canada had 118 yards on 11 carries with 2 tds while Taylor had 26 carries for 117 yards and no tds. At least for this game Canada is the All American.


BYU won in the trenches on both the offensive line and the defensive line (in the run game that is) and that was the difference. Having said that, I love Canada, he is Jamaal Williams light and a very good back. We are lucky to have him.

It's too early to tell but he may be on track to equal Williams. Of course you are right about the men in the trenches who don't get the accolades they should.
F
frdbtr
nuk13 wrote:


nuk13 wrote:

I just found out Taylor is a preseason All American pick. Was he any better than Canada? Canada had 118 yards on 11 carries with 2 tds while Taylor had 26 carries for 117 yards and no tds. At least for this game Canada is the All American.


BYU won in the trenches on both the offensive line and the defensive line (in the run game that is) and that was the difference. Having said that, I love Canada, he is Jamaal Williams light and a very good back. We are lucky to have him.

It's too early to tell but he may be on track to equal Williams. Of course you are right about the men in the trenches who don't get the accolades they should.


Our offensive line play is one of the main reasons why we currently have a 7 game losing streak to the utes. I hope that we finally have a coach to get them dominating again. Roger french used to put a parade of offensive lineman into the NFL every year. When was the last time we had an Olineman drafted? It has been a really long time.
Advertisement
S
screamineagle2
Its a huge win and I am happy. Just so happens my boss was an All American at Wisconsin (by the way they have a lot of respect for BYU). Anyways we made a bet that If Wisconsin won I would wear a Wisconsin shirt at the company meeting in January if BYU won he would wear a BYU shirt at the company meeting. Needless to say I figured that would be my attire for the meeting. I am happy to be buying him a BYU shirt meeting is going to be fun.
T
TheDean
frdbtr wrote:


frdbtr wrote:


I just found out Taylor is a preseason All American pick. Was he any better than Canada? Canada had 118 yards on 11 carries with 2 tds while Taylor had 26 carries for 117 yards and no tds. At least for this game Canada is the All American.


BYU won in the trenches on both the offensive line and the defensive line (in the run game that is) and that was the difference. Having said that, I love Canada, he is Jamaal Williams light and a very good back. We are lucky to have him.

It's too early to tell but he may be on track to equal Williams. Of course you are right about the men in the trenches who don't get the accolades they should.


Our offensive line play is one of the main reasons why we currently have a 7 game losing streak to the utes. I hope that we finally have a coach to get them dominating again. Roger french used to put a parade of offensive lineman into the NFL every year. When was the last time we had an Olineman drafted? It has been a really long time.

2001 was the last year that BYU sent any o-lineman to the NFL or got an outland trophy and from that point on the o-line play has been terrible. Which is why Crowton's offense went to heck in a hand basket for 3 years and Bronco's OC struggled until the go fast go hard offense of Bronco's last 2 years as there was a need for a good o-line.
M
mtnradio
TheDean wrote:


nuk13 wrote:


nuk13 wrote:

I just found out Taylor is a preseason All American pick. Was he any better than Canada? Canada had 118 yards on 11 carries with 2 tds while Taylor had 26 carries for 117 yards and no tds. At least for this game Canada is the All American.


BYU won in the trenches on both the offensive line and the defensive line (in the run game that is) and that was the difference. Having said that, I love Canada, he is Jamaal Williams light and a very good back. We are lucky to have him.

It's too early to tell but he may be on track to equal Williams. Of course you are right about the men in the trenches who don't get the accolades they should.


Our offensive line play is one of the main reasons why we currently have a 7 game losing streak to the utes. I hope that we finally have a coach to get them dominating again. Roger french used to put a parade of offensive lineman into the NFL every year. When was the last time we had an Olineman drafted? It has been a really long time.

2001 was the last year that BYU sent any o-lineman to the NFL or got an outland trophy and from that point on the o-line play has been terrible. Which is why Crowton's offense went to heck in a hand basket for 3 years and Bronco's OC struggled until the go fast go hard offense of Bronco's last 2 years as there was a need for a good o-line.

Uhm, I think you are wrong. In 2017/18 some guy named Karoma was an o- lineman who went to the NFL ...
S
scott715
De'Ondre Wesley has played in NFL.
C
cougarnerd
TheDean wrote:


nuk13 wrote:


nuk13 wrote:

I just found out Taylor is a preseason All American pick. Was he any better than Canada? Canada had 118 yards on 11 carries with 2 tds while Taylor had 26 carries for 117 yards and no tds. At least for this game Canada is the All American.


BYU won in the trenches on both the offensive line and the defensive line (in the run game that is) and that was the difference. Having said that, I love Canada, he is Jamaal Williams light and a very good back. We are lucky to have him.

It's too early to tell but he may be on track to equal Williams. Of course you are right about the men in the trenches who don't get the accolades they should.


Our offensive line play is one of the main reasons why we currently have a 7 game losing streak to the utes. I hope that we finally have a coach to get them dominating again. Roger french used to put a parade of offensive lineman into the NFL every year. When was the last time we had an Olineman drafted? It has been a really long time.

2001 was the last year that BYU sent any o-lineman to the NFL or got an outland trophy and from that point on the o-line play has been terrible. Which is why Crowton's offense went to heck in a hand basket for 3 years and Bronco's OC struggled until the go fast go hard offense of Bronco's last 2 years as there was a need for a good o-line.


Our offensive line seemed pretty good overall in 2006. We made it close against a ranked Boston College team, beat the #15 TCU team, beat Utah in SLC, and beat Oregon (though I concede that the Ducks weren't very motivated or focused in that game, if they played hard to their athletic ability, they should have at least made it closer).



Then decent in 2007, and if we had a *terrible* offensive line like you seem to be describing in 2009, we wouldn't have beaten #3 Oklahoma, with or without Sam Bradford still in the game.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
None of those guys were drafted. I said drafted in the NFL draft. BYU hasn't had an Oline Drafted in the NFL draft since, at least, Roger French left. TheDean says 2001, I will have to take his word for it on that because I don't remember. If he is right, that was 17 years ago.
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:

None of those guys were drafted. I said drafted in the NFL draft. BYU hasn't had an Oline Drafted in the NFL draft since, at least, Roger French left. TheDean says 2001, I will have to take his word for it on that because I don't remember. If he is right, that was 17 years ago.


He's wrong, and so are you.



No Olineman was drafted in 2001, so I don't know where that came from, but two were drafted after that:



Dustin Rykert, 2003

Scott Young, 2005



So yeah, it's been 13 years, but they've had three guys drafted since French left after 2000 (and Young never played under French). Not a good stretch by any interpretation, but you're still wrong.



:crazy:
I
IowaCougar
I have been to two BYU-Wisconsin games. The first was at Wisconsin a few years ago, when I think I was more concerned about not freezing to death than watching the game. As I recall, the Cougars didn't embarrass themselves, but they didn't threaten to win, either.



I traveled to Provo last year for the BYU-Wisconsin game and forced myself to sit there and see the whole game. BLECHH!



Based on those two experiences, I had no expectations for Saturday's game. I really wish that I had found a way to attend this one as well. C'est la vie.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:


None of those guys were drafted. I said drafted in the NFL draft. BYU hasn't had an Oline Drafted in the NFL draft since, at least, Roger French left. TheDean says 2001, I will have to take his word for it on that because I don't remember. If he is right, that was 17 years ago.


He's wrong, and so are you.



No Olineman was drafted in 2001, so I don't know where that came from, but two were drafted after that:



Dustin Rykert, 2003

Scott Young, 2005



So yeah, it's been 13 years, but they've had three guys drafted since French left after 2000 (and Young never played under French). Not a good stretch by any interpretation, but you're still wrong.



:crazy:


I wasn't wrong because I never made the claim. I didn't know how long it had been, I asked the question and he answered it. I was just figuring that he could be right. You answered my original question.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.