Archived Topic

Ball Control Ain't Gonna Win Many Games at BYU

by jadesroom · 9/11/2018

Advertisement
J
jadesroom
How soon people forget Hal Mitchell's coaching philosophy. So I'll say it first....at least first in a while... Paul Peterson for head coach.



Until then, grind it into the ground, six feet under, with the current coaching staff.
M
Mars
Or Darren Bevell.



Or Lance Anderson.
K
KingCoug
Mars wrote:

Or Darren Bevell.



Or Lance Anderson.


+1,000
F
frdbtr
Darrell Bevel ain't coming, but I would love it if he did. IMO that would be a major coup for BYU to get him. Lance Anderson is another story, I think we could get him. Having said that, I am still rooting for Sitake to succeed and get things figured out because that would be good for BYU football. I am terribly frustrated but if he were to get it turned around we wouldn't have to worry about another coaching change. And finally, if we have another non bowl season, Sitake and the rest of the staff have got to go, unless we can figure out a way to keep Grimes as Oline coach.
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:

Darrell Bevel ain't coming, but I would love it if he did. IMO that would be a major coup for BYU to get him. Lance Anderson is another story, I think we could get him. Having said that, I am still rooting for Sitake to succeed and get things figured out because that would be good for BYU football. I am terribly frustrated but if he were to get it turned around we wouldn't have to worry about another coaching change. And finally, if we have another non bowl season, Sitake and the rest of the staff have got to go, unless we can figure out a way to keep Grimes as Oline coach.


And Holmoe needs to go with them.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
KingCoug wrote:


Darrell Bevel ain't coming, but I would love it if he did. IMO that would be a major coup for BYU to get him. Lance Anderson is another story, I think we could get him. Having said that, I am still rooting for Sitake to succeed and get things figured out because that would be good for BYU football. I am terribly frustrated but if he were to get it turned around we wouldn't have to worry about another coaching change. And finally, if we have another non bowl season, Sitake and the rest of the staff have got to go, unless we can figure out a way to keep Grimes as Oline coach.


And Holmoe needs to go with them.

Kinda agree. If the best head coach BYU could have had was coaching at BYU for nearly a decade and holmoe lets him walk, Holmoe needs to go next.
K
KingCoug
BroncoBot wrote:


frdbtr wrote:

Darrell Bevel ain't coming, but I would love it if he did. IMO that would be a major coup for BYU to get him. Lance Anderson is another story, I think we could get him. Having said that, I am still rooting for Sitake to succeed and get things figured out because that would be good for BYU football. I am terribly frustrated but if he were to get it turned around we wouldn't have to worry about another coaching change. And finally, if we have another non bowl season, Sitake and the rest of the staff have got to go, unless we can figure out a way to keep Grimes as Oline coach.


And Holmoe needs to go with them.

Kinda agree. If the best head coach BYU could have had was coaching at BYU for nearly a decade and holmoe lets him walk, Holmoe needs to go next.


Bronco (who was HC for 11 years) being the best BYU could have is an assumption I don't agree with.
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:


Darrell Bevel ain't coming, but I would love it if he did. IMO that would be a major coup for BYU to get him. Lance Anderson is another story, I think we could get him. Having said that, I am still rooting for Sitake to succeed and get things figured out because that would be good for BYU football. I am terribly frustrated but if he were to get it turned around we wouldn't have to worry about another coaching change. And finally, if we have another non bowl season, Sitake and the rest of the staff have got to go, unless we can figure out a way to keep Grimes as Oline coach.


And Holmoe needs to go with them.


+1 I agree.
G
Gunk
KingCoug wrote:


Darrell Bevel ain't coming, but I would love it if he did. IMO that would be a major coup for BYU to get him. Lance Anderson is another story, I think we could get him. Having said that, I am still rooting for Sitake to succeed and get things figured out because that would be good for BYU football. I am terribly frustrated but if he were to get it turned around we wouldn't have to worry about another coaching change. And finally, if we have another non bowl season, Sitake and the rest of the staff have got to go, unless we can figure out a way to keep Grimes as Oline coach.


And Holmoe needs to go with them.


Holmoe's departure is overdue.
C
CrimsonCoug
Maybe. But Holmoe's smart enough to see the writing on the wall and let Sitake go first. He's done a decent job with BYU's other sports, and he has the faith and trust of the BOT. No scandal like the Val Hale days.



Holmoe made a big mistake by listening to donor voices and letting the relationship with Bronco sour. But I give him a pass for hiring Sitake. He looked decent and I don't think any of the other names were real options at the time.



Despite my kvetching, I, too, really hope Sitake works out. He's a tremendously generous human being. Makes it tough to be the head ball coach sometimes, though.
Advertisement
J
jadesroom
easy to say after a big win....or any win for that matter.
C
cougarnerd
This win wasn't just ball control...it was hungry play from 22 guys (yeah we had some blunders, missed plays, missed tackles, a soft 3rd-and-19 defensive play trying to give up 10 and force a punt that actually went for a 1st down, etc.), but we came in thinking more than just "ball control" and "pound the ball, run first to set up pro-style offense" and it actually worked.
J
jadesroom
Now it's time to admit that I was wrong about being wrong. We need sling the ball and score 50+ points a game. This offense mixed with this defense will lose a lot more games. We definitely lose to BSU and Utah. The rest are all toss ups. The morale of our team must suck.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.