Archived Topic

Who called the offensive plays game 1 and game 2?

by jvquarterback · 9/10/2018

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
I've heard rumors Roderick was going to call game 1 (second hand info from his family). I can't believe anyone would take responsibility for game 2. I would have thought Grimes would wait to game 4 for something like the Hoge package.
S
snoscythe
I'm getting concerned that KS is trying to recreate the KW formula for job security.



1) Hire an OC with promises of letting them have free rein.

2) Hamstring the new OC in recruiting by allocating more scholarships to D and "athletes"

3) After a poor showing by the offense, give over-conservative ultimatums like "no turnovers the next three games" or "no risk plays in the first three quarters unless we are up 15+"



Then, after a disappointing season, you point to the lack of production from the offense and can the offensive staff, rinse, and repeat. Just like Kyle Whittingham.
G
Guest
Maybe Kalani is just an uber conservative guy.



The defense that he takes an active role in will not bring a blitz or run a stunt with the 4 linemen they bring pressure with and the secondary always plays with a massive cushion.



The offense is in dead last place in NCAA for explosive plays and in fact the longest play on the season is 13 yards.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
The offense is in dead last place in NCAA for explosive plays and in fact the longest play on the season is 13 yards.


That's the longest rushing play.



There are passing plays of 30, 24, 24, 22, 20, and 20 yards.



Still not much to write home about....
F
frdbtr
There are no explosive plays because we have no receivers capable of making them. Of course if Collie doesn't drop that bomb that Mangum put right on the money we have at least 1 play of more than 35 yards.
Advertisement
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:

The offense is in dead last place in NCAA for explosive plays and in fact the longest play on the season is 13 yards.


That's the longest rushing play.



There are passing plays of 30, 24, 24, 22, 20, and 20 yards.



Still not much to write home about....


That's correct, I was referencing this tweet but was heading to a meeting so I didn't type it out correctly, just thought it.



https://twitter.com/CougarStats/status/1039206896023076864
G
Gunk
Personally, I just don't think Kalani is a good coach. His record speaks to that.



We pretty much have the same level of athlete. The schedule is harder, but we're losing to teams that BYU normally walks all over. So, what's the difference? Coaching. Kalani sucks at it. He's in over his head. Again, his record accounts for it.



He'll blame the offense. He'll blame Mangum for not making throws and the WRs dropping balls, but at the end of the day, it's his fault.



If we have to go through another 4 win season so we can dump Kalani, I'm all for it. The sooner we move on the better. We're going no where with him at the helm, and, yes, I hope he's reading this.
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:

Maybe Kalani is just an uber conservative guy.



The defense that he takes an active role in will not bring a blitz or run a stunt with the 4 linemen they bring pressure with and the secondary always plays with a massive cushion.



The offense is in dead last place in NCAA for explosive plays and in fact the longest play on the season is 13 yards.

BYU has 0 "explosive drives" this season. I think that's a drive averaging over 10 yards per play.
B
BoiseBYU
Wait what? The Offensive Coordinator does not call the plays? I guess it fits because it sure does not look like the DC calls any plays either--just rush four and guard the guys. Wash. Rinse. Repeat TIC
C
CrimsonCoug
The Hoge series bugged me. Why run an injury prone guy 3x with the exact same play? I don't think he took another down after that.

If you're going to run for a must-gain yard, do it with Squally. That stop in the 1st Q turned the tide.



Cal adjusted far better than we did, both after the first drives and after the first half. We got out-coached. I don't think we were out played except by our own guys.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I'm not buying the conspiracy theories. Grimes is the Ocoordinator and calls the plays. Remember the days when everyone was saying that Doman was calling the plays when Anae's offense looked good but Anae called them when it looked bad? Well I do.
J
Jarhead
CrimsonCoug wrote:

The Hoge series bugged me. Why run an injury prone guy 3x with the exact same play? I don't think he took another down after that.

If you're going to run for a must-gain yard, do it with Squally. That stop in the 1st Q turned the tide.



Cal adjusted far better than we did, both after the first drives and after the first half. We got out-coached. I don't think we were out played except by our own guys.


The game totally swung on those plays. That’s something that’s fine to try later in the game with a comfortable lead, but was a huge mistake during the first drive. Without those plays I really think we score a touchdown on our first possession and the whole game would have been totally different.
B
BroncoBot
Jarhead wrote:


The Hoge series bugged me. Why run an injury prone guy 3x with the exact same play? I don't think he took another down after that.

If you're going to run for a must-gain yard, do it with Squally. That stop in the 1st Q turned the tide.



Cal adjusted far better than we did, both after the first drives and after the first half. We got out-coached. I don't think we were out played except by our own guys.


The game totally swung on those plays. That’s something that’s fine to try later in the game with a comfortable lead, but was a huge mistake during the first drive. Without those plays I really think we score a touchdown on our first possession and the whole game would have been totally different.

BYU likely had 3 FG attempts had they not gotten cute on 4th downs and tanner doesn't throw that INT ("maybe LOS for the the INt play after the penalty was out of range. I can't remember exactly where the offense was on the field.) Make one of those and the whole game is different, maybe going to OT.
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:

I'm not buying the conspiracy theories.


The real conspiracy theories all end with BYU eliminating Athletics after neutering the fan base of enthusiasm.
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:


I'm not buying the conspiracy theories.


The real conspiracy theories all end with BYU eliminating Athletics after neutering the fan base of enthusiasm.


The real theory is this all to set BYU up as a women's sports only school so the church can position itself as a more female progressive institution. Our women's teams are good.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:


frdbtr wrote:

I'm not buying the conspiracy theories.


The real conspiracy theories all end with BYU eliminating Athletics after neutering the fan base of enthusiasm.


The real theory is this all to set BYU up as a women's sports only school so the church can position itself as a more female progressive institution. Our women's teams are good.


Wouldn't that violate title ix?
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:


snoscythe wrote:


I'm not buying the conspiracy theories.


The real conspiracy theories all end with BYU eliminating Athletics after neutering the fan base of enthusiasm.


The real theory is this all to set BYU up as a women's sports only school so the church can position itself as a more female progressive institution. Our women's teams are good.


Wouldn't that violate title ix?


The same way you would think affirmative action violates Civil Rights laws.....
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:


Gunk wrote:


frdbtr wrote:

I'm not buying the conspiracy theories.


The real conspiracy theories all end with BYU eliminating Athletics after neutering the fan base of enthusiasm.


The real theory is this all to set BYU up as a women's sports only school so the church can position itself as a more female progressive institution. Our women's teams are good.


Wouldn't that violate title ix?


The same way you would think affirmative action violates Civil Rights laws.....


fair point
C
CrimsonCoug
BroncoBot wrote:


CrimsonCoug wrote:

The Hoge series bugged me. Why run an injury prone guy 3x with the exact same play? I don't think he took another down after that.

If you're going to run for a must-gain yard, do it with Squally. That stop in the 1st Q turned the tide.



Cal adjusted far better than we did, both after the first drives and after the first half. We got out-coached. I don't think we were out played except by our own guys.


The game totally swung on those plays. That’s something that’s fine to try later in the game with a comfortable lead, but was a huge mistake during the first drive. Without those plays I really think we score a touchdown on our first possession and the whole game would have been totally different.

BYU likely had 3 FG attempts had they not gotten cute on 4th downs and tanner doesn't throw that INT ("maybe LOS for the the INt play after the penalty was out of range. I can't remember exactly where the offense was on the field.) Make one of those and the whole game is different, maybe going to OT.


The LOS was at the 27 yard line after the 3rd down penalty on the series after Dayan recovered the muffed catch on the punt. So that would have been about a 44 yard field goal. Probably just at the edge or out of range or our FG unit. But worth a shot.
B
BroncoBot
CrimsonCoug wrote:


Jarhead wrote:


The Hoge series bugged me. Why run an injury prone guy 3x with the exact same play? I don't think he took another down after that.

If you're going to run for a must-gain yard, do it with Squally. That stop in the 1st Q turned the tide.



Cal adjusted far better than we did, both after the first drives and after the first half. We got out-coached. I don't think we were out played except by our own guys.


The game totally swung on those plays. That’s something that’s fine to try later in the game with a comfortable lead, but was a huge mistake during the first drive. Without those plays I really think we score a touchdown on our first possession and the whole game would have been totally different.

BYU likely had 3 FG attempts had they not gotten cute on 4th downs and tanner doesn't throw that INT ("maybe LOS for the the INt play after the penalty was out of range. I can't remember exactly where the offense was on the field.) Make one of those and the whole game is different, maybe going to OT.


The LOS was at the 27 yard line after the 3rd down penalty on the series after Dayan recovered the muffed catch on the punt. So that would have been about a 44 yard field goal. Probably just at the edge or out of range or our FG unit. But worth a shot.

Darn. Worth a shot with Southam it sounds like if we could have kept it at the 27. That was classic bronco defense right there. A team is on the verge of FG position and it seemed that Bronco would dial up a a terrific blitz package which frequently put the other guys out of range.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.