Archived Topic

A tale of 2 offensive lines.

by frdbtr · 9/9/2018

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Did they play the JV team this week or was AZ's defense just that bad? The Offensive line was horrible in this game. And of course we saw the Tuiaki defense that BYU fans have come to know and hate. Didn't get a 3rd down stop until the game was basically over.
B
BroncoBot
CAL played a good game. Defensively they were very good.



CAL is much better than AZ, I think they've got a shot at pac12 south.
F
frdbtr
I agree Cal's defense was good but the Oline play in this game was horrible. If we get the Oline play that we got against AZ, I think we score a few more points, maybe enough to win.
T
TheDean
frdbtr wrote:

I agree Cal's defense was good but the Oline play in this game was horrible. If we get the Oline play that we got against AZ, I think we score a few more points, maybe enough to win.

I agree with that comment because BYU's O-line was as bad tonight as they were good against Arizona. The WRs were as bad as the O-line as i saw them drop at least 7 passes in the second half alone that were right in the hands and/or the numbers and most were to wide open receivers.
M
Mars
Cal isn't in the PAC-12 South.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Cal is terrible. This team will get blown out by 30 one or more times this year, just like AZ.



Grimes was a huge gamble. We went from an unproven playcaller at the NCAA level to an unproven playcaller, and we don't even have a drastically better Oline to account for it. I know new systems take time, but I expected at least the Oline to be marginally better with new coaching and new talent (transfers sitting out, RS freshmen, etc). But they look awful. Couldn't pick up basic stunts.
C
CrimsonCoug
Our O-line couldn't counter Cal's adjustments in the run game. That was a huge letdown after what seemed like a strength from last game. Mangum had decent time every so often on pass plays, but the receivers couldn't get separation or dropped the ball.

Mangum didn't have a perfect game--that INT was all on him, but he was far from the weak link. He got punkd by his receivers.

The middle of our D line was way too soft. There was very little containment of McIlwain or the run game between the tackles. And like last year, we couldn't get off the field.



This is so like the cougars--get you to actually start caring just to crush you. I didn't buy into the preseason hype. I kept myself safe from the snares of promising news out of camp. But after we beat Arizona, I allowed myself to think that maybe--just maybe--this might be a decent team.



It's rough being a cougar fan. I'm not sure I'll be able to find time this Saturday to watch the game. I think my grass needs to be clipped. Blade by blade.
F
frdbtr
CrimsonCoug wrote:

Our O-line couldn't counter Cal's adjustments in the run game. That was a huge letdown after what seemed like a strength from last game. Mangum had decent time every so often on pass plays, but the receivers couldn't get separation or dropped the ball.

Mangum didn't have a perfect game--that INT was all on him, but he was far from the weak link. He got punkd by his receivers.

The middle of our D line was way too soft. There was very little containment of McIlwain or the run game between the tackles. And like last year, we couldn't get off the field.



This is so like the cougars--get you to actually start caring just to crush you. I didn't buy into the preseason hype. I kept myself safe from the snares of promising news out of camp. But after we beat Arizona, I allowed myself to think that maybe--just maybe--this might be a decent team.



It's rough being a cougar fan. I'm not sure I'll be able to find time this Saturday to watch the game. I think my grass needs to be clipped. Blade by blade.


This was me. I liked the Grimes hire because of what he did last time he was here. I divorced myself from that and kept my skepticism because I didn't think the issues last year were entirely based on the offense. I watched the Arizona game and saw the Oline play a masterful game both pass blocking and run blocking and I saw that BYU was the tougher more physical team and it caused me to think that we could be 3-2 after 5 games instead of 1-4. Now the best we can do is 2-3 and the rest of our games look to be a major challenge even after those. This team will struggle to go bowling. Unfortunately it appears that our Grimes v 2.0 will only last a year because if we don't go bowling, the entire staff and the AD department deserve to be fired.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:

Cal isn't in the PAC-12 South.


You're right. and I don't care. but they certainly won't win the north.
C
cougarnerd
And now, our offensive line came to play at least as aggressively as for Arizona.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Today's game demonstrates two things:



1) This team has the potential.

2) Proper motivation is the key. Lazy attitude translates into losses to Cal. Fired up attitude translates into wins against Wisc.
F
frdbtr
I rest my case. Hopefully we see the AC and WI Olines for the rest of the season and the CAL Oline is retired forever.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.