Archived Topic

BYU vs Cal game thread

by Jarhead · 9/9/2018

Advertisement
J
Jarhead
The two in a row pitches to Beau Hoge are the worst play calls of Grimes’s short career so far. Why weren’t Katoa or Canada carrying the ball on those plays? The game hasn’t been pretty since.
T
tmoney35
We're moving the ball pretty well. Just need to finish drives
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Starting the 3rd Q very flat. Cal gets a TD, and then a quick 3 and out from the offense. Lots of ball left, but being down 14-3 here isn't looking pretty.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Calling it the CougarCorner spark of the game. About a minute from my post, Dayan Ghanwoloku gets the scoop and score on defense. Niiiiiice!!



It was Pau'u who laid the hit on a 2nd and 5 at about the 10:20 mark in the 3rd. Excellent play!
T
tmoney35
All these 3 and outs are giving me flashbacks of last season...
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
Offense has got to score more than 3 points.
T
tmoney35
Boy, Cal is given a gift on the last play of the third. Receiver clearly out of bounds and they don't even review it
S
Sammich
I can’t tell if Cal is a strong team or if BYU is the same team as last year. Given Arizona’s performance today, I’m worried it’s the latter.
U
Ungoy
I think the team is sinking to the lowest common denominator. I'm worried that the LCD for BYU is Sitake.
J
Jarhead
Sammich wrote:

I can’t tell if Cal is a strong team or if BYU is the same team as last year. Given Arizona’s performance today, I’m worried it’s the latter.


BYU sure has been looking like the team from last year.
Advertisement
S
Sammich
I get that Mangum is not good for long throws at this point, but I don’t understand why none of our plays are going for the sideline. So much time off the clock.
J
Jarhead
I’m assuming Wisconsin steam rolls us regardless. I’m not willing to declare the team dead yet though.



At the same time though; how many offensive performances in a row would it take like this for Mangum to see some bench time?
G
Gunk
That sucked. Offense was horrible.
M
McY
That game was painful to watch. Too many flashbacks of last year. Offense could not get anything going. No points off of Kaifusi’s interception was a prime example. As it turned out, even a field goal there and we’d at least have forced OT. Please don’t let this year be a repeat of last.
F
frdbtr
McY wrote:

That game was painful to watch. Too many flashbacks of last year. Offense could not get anything going. No points off of Kaifusi’s interception was a prime example. As it turned out, even a field goal there and we’d at least have forced OT. Please don’t let this year be a repeat of last.


The no points after the muffed punt fumble recovery was worse. There is no reason we shouldn't have gotten at least a FG after that one. run the ball right up the middle 3 times and kick the field goal. Instead we get a short pickup on 1st, an offensive PI on 2nd and an interception on the next play. Complete crap offense, and that was what we got for the entire second half.
Advertisement
T
TheDean
frdbtr wrote:


That game was painful to watch. Too many flashbacks of last year. Offense could not get anything going. No points off of Kaifusi’s interception was a prime example. As it turned out, even a field goal there and we’d at least have forced OT. Please don’t let this year be a repeat of last.


The no points after the muffed punt fumble recovery was worse. There is no reason we shouldn't have gotten at least a FG after that one. run the ball right up the middle 3 times and kick the field goal. Instead we get a short pickup on 1st, an offensive PI on 2nd and an interception on the next play. Complete crap offense, and that was what we got for the entire second half.

Right on target frdbtr because crap is what it was.
T
TheDean
Ungoy wrote:

I think the team is sinking to the lowest common denominator. I'm worried that the LCD for BYU is Sitake.

No the LCD is the o-line and the poor coaching of BYU's WRs. Fix those and BYU would be just fine.
S
snoscythe
Lots of blame to go around here:



- Tanner not efficient on 3rd downs, and as the clock ticked down in the 4th quarter made bone-headed throws.

- How many drops did we see? I was looking for Brandon Doman on the sidelines.

- Defense is same as last year -- absolutely no pressure on the QB, secondary picked apart.

- Defense can't get off the field in 3rd quarter.

- WTH was the offensive play calling in the 3rd quarter, after the Kaufusi pick, and the muffed punt.

- Dayan FKA Lake had some big plays, but I figure it was a wash for completely missing the wheel route that put 7 on the board for Cal and gave them all the momentum.

- OLine couldn't get any push on the downhill runs -- Squally had 4 carries for a loss. I think he had fewer than that all last season.

- Going for it on 4th twice in the 1st half instead of trying for long FGAs. We kick one of those two through the uprights, and it's a different game, both on the scoreboard and with momentum.



Feels like a retread of 2017 already -- what felt like a good enough win to begin the season leads to optimism and thoughts of "Just think -- the OC hasn't even opened the playbook yet!" and then we learn that AZ/Portland St. aren't good by any measure and that win was fool's gold.



https://78.media.tumblr.com/ab88331172b028a73f09b6f9b1a9c4e4/tumblr_inline_nw8ojfCKQG1rw073l_400.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:

Lots of blame to go around here:



- Tanner not efficient on 3rd downs, and as the clock ticked down in the 4th quarter made bone-headed throws.

- How many drops did we see? I was looking for Brandon Doman on the sidelines.

- Defense is same as last year -- absolutely no pressure on the QB, secondary picked apart.

- Defense can't get off the field in 3rd quarter.

- WTH was the offensive play calling in the 3rd quarter, after the Kaufusi pick, and the muffed punt.

- Dayan FKA Lake had some big plays, but I figure it was a wash for completely missing the wheel route that put 7 on the board for Cal and gave them all the momentum.

- OLine couldn't get any push on the downhill runs -- Squally had 4 carries for a loss. I think he had fewer than that all last season.

- Going for it on 4th twice in the 1st half instead of trying for long FGAs. We kick one of those two through the uprights, and it's a different game, both on the scoreboard and with momentum.



Feels like a retread of 2017 already -- what felt like a good enough win to begin the season leads to optimism and thoughts of "Just think -- the OC hasn't even opened the playbook yet!" and then we learn that AZ/Portland St. aren't good by any measure and that win was fool's gold.



https://78.media.tumblr.com/ab88331172b028a73f09b6f9b1a9c4e4/tumblr_inline_nw8ojfCKQG1rw073l_400.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


+1 on this. I am still trying to be optimistic though. Next week is going to be a loss but if I see some improvement in the Oline play, I will still remain optimistic.
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:

- Dayan FKA Lake had some big plays, but I figure it was a wash for completely missing the wheel route that put 7 on the board for Cal and gave them all the momentum.


Add the late hit on a third down stop to give them a first down at midfield, and the safeties playing 20 yards deep in OBVIOUS running situations with a running qb and a lead in the 4th, and I'd call it a wash too, at best.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.