Archived Topic

BYU Opponents: Week 0 Results - Here we go

by Fido · 8/25/2018

Advertisement
F
Fido
Week 0 games



Arizona (0-0)

Cal (0-0)

Wisconsin (0-0)

McNeese State (0-0)

Washington (0-0)

Utah State (0-0)

Hawaii (0-0) Won @ Colorado State (0-0) 43-34

Northern Illinois (0-0)

Boise State (0-0)

UMass (0-0) Won vs Duquesne (0-0) 63-15

New Mexico State (0-0) Lost vs Wyoming (0-0) 7-29

Utah (0-0)
M
Mars
I predict L, W, L. Opponents 1-2 going into Week 1.
S
scott715
I can't believe it, it is happening.
B
BOID
For week 0, opponents, I agree with Mars.



For BYU in weeks one thru three:



Contrary to the betting line, I think BYU and Arizona will be evenly matched, or too close to call. Being a BYU fan, I will call it for BYU. But who knows?



Cal is not good. BYU takes that one at home.



BYU gets destroyed at Wisconsin.



For the season, I think BYU loses to Wisconsin, UW, BSU, and Utah. As much as I hate to predict a loss to the Pukes, it just doesn’t seem likely that our new staff can out-coach theirs on the road. Of course, I hope I’m wrong. Next year, provided that BYU has a winning season record to pull confidence from, that losing streak can possibly be broken.



I’ll throw in one more loss somewhere, in a game BYU should have won, and that will leave seven wins. Of course, variable circumstances could line up to produce a very different outcome by the end. But this is my best guess for now. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. The silver lining for low expectations, is that the games can be enjoyed at lower stress levels compared to times when everyone is saying, “THIS will be the year!”
F
frdbtr
I think BYU will have to be HUGELY improved in order to not be 1-4 after the washington game. Even if the offense is much better than it was last year, we still have a defense that can't get off the field on 3rd down no matter what the down and distance is.
Advertisement
B
BOID
All we have to do is make a few first downs in each possession, and we will have a much more rested, and thereby faster, defense compared to last year. I think we’ll have a more possession-based passing game this year. The running game will have more teeth to it because of that. That’s my take on it.
M
Mars
Running backs don't seem to be much better this year than last, though the OL seems improved. And they even moved Austin Kafentzsis to defense. Hoge is hurt.



Defense could be improved, barring injuries. Or it could be a major problem. 2 of our best 3 guys are hurt already (Tonga and Warner). Another 2 never really showed up (Mo'unga and Wayne Kirby). I just don't trust grit-guys like Zayne Anderson and El-Bakri to save an awful defense. And there's no hope for much of the 2nd string.
B
BOID
I wondered why neither Burt or Hoge were on the published depth chart.



Didn’t know Warner was hurt.



What happened to Kirby?
F
frdbtr
Last year the defense gave up long drives with opposing offenses converting multiple 3rd and longs early in the game. Exhaustion had nothing to do with it.
G
Guest
Looks like BYU may struggle mightily against UMass and Hawaii.
Advertisement
M
Mars
BOID wrote:

I wondered why neither Burt or Hoge were on the published depth chart.



Didn’t know Warner was hurt.



What happened to Kirby?

Warner isn't out, but he is reportedly hampered. Same with Hoge.



Kirby was out with bad grades. Seems like part of that issue was cleared this morning, so there's hope he could play.
F
Fido
Updated week 0 scores. I'll get a week 1 thread up now that Week 0 is over.
M
Mars
I was wrong- Hawaii won. Looked pretty good too.
F
Fido
I'd like to see Hawaii be a good team again. New Mexico State's offense really struggled. They didn't have any 1st downs in the first half. Their defense was on the field for very long stretches and they played decently. UMass rolled--but that was expected against their FCS opponent.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.