Archived Topic

Rumors of insights from a contact in BYU

by scott715 · 8/23/2018

Advertisement
S
scott715
You might be interested in these comments.



https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=20233496



I haven't shared a lot of info recently, for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I don't have as many contacts within the AD as I used to have, and therefore I don't have nearly as much info to share. Secondly, I don't have as much time on my hands as I once had.



Having said that, I remain good friends with a member of the AD and occasionally we get together for lunch. I visited with him for over an hour on Tuesday, and it was great to catch up and to talk BYU sports. I won't share all that was said (specifically, I won't share info that I think he meant to share in confidence, nor will I share info that is specific to scheme and the like), but here are some interesting tidbits from our conversation:



- His **OPINION** on the QB battle: He believes the coaches having been planning to start Mangum since early spring. He also believes they intentionally didn't name him the starter because they felt he needed a consistent motivation to improve. He also has been told that Wilson has been a very pleasant surprise and has genuinely competed toe-to-toe with Mangum at a higher level than they anticipated. His opinion is that Tanner will still be named the starter against AZ, but that coaches won't have a problem giving Wilson opportunity if the team needs a spark. Coaches are of the opinion that the QB position is one of strength this year.



- QBs in general: Coaches are thrilled with the future at QB. Wilson has absolutely surprised them with his ability to pick up the offense so quickly. Jeron Hall is also a better QB than what they expected (they didn't recruit him). Hall might be QB #3 by game 1 (passing Critchlow) and coaches expect him to legitimately push Wilson for a starting position next year. As a side-note, Jeron has also talked to coaches about possibly playing baseball at BYU as a 2-sport athlete (his younger brother is a BYU baseball commit).



- TEs in general: Holker and Tuipulotu are pushing for significant reps, and it's possible both will see the field (unless coaches decide to redshirt Tui). Bushman has added a lot of weight and has looked a bit heavy-footed in camp, and Holker is seriously pressing him. MLP is also quietly having a very solid camp. Coaches feel this is a deep and talent position group and will remain so for the next several years.



- Offense: Players really like the new offense. He said they lack superstars, but he said schematically he thinks it is more potent system than last year [I know, I know....] He said the TEs will be improved and he likes the addition of Collie at WR, though he is a "possession receiver" lacking both size and top-end speed. He said Katoa has been a positive addition at RB, but he had major ball control issues in spring and thus coaches stopped giving him the ball. He said Katoa is surging again in fall camp and he expects him and Squally to get the bulk of reps. He also said that Ula would like to return to the program in the future but his return is conditional on keeping his nose clean and his academics in order. Coaches believe Ula has the physical tools to be a difference-maker. There isn't much talk about KJ Hall's injury, but he said this is a big loss to the RB corp... KJ would've been used.



- OL: The boys LOVE Grimes and they feel he is making a significant difference. Depth is better than it has been, and experience is pretty good.



- Defense: Major concern about depth in most positions. If the D can stay healthy, we'll be OK, but there's a STEEP drop at many position between starters and backups. Warner still isn't quite 100%. Takitaki is the clear Alpha of the group.



- Kicking game: Much to be optimistic about. This has been a weakness at BYU the last decade, it seems. But we have some players in the program to give us stability for a while.



- Recruiting: Despite perceptions, Kalani was very happy with the guys BYU landed last year and he feels many of them are under-rated for one reason or another. For example, Holker is a guy that most Pac-12 teams would've gladly signed, but he was an early BYU commit who wasn't swayed. Holker didn't sign with BYU on NLI day and teams from all over the country started pursuing him when they thought perhaps he was still available.



- Program culture: This is still a concern for my friend. I asked specifically if Grimes and the other new coaches had helped add an increased level of discipline and accountability to the program. To my discouragement, the answer was no. My friend said the program is still nowhere near as disciplined as it was with the Mendenhall staff. He said practices are much less organized, many team functions are chaotic, the football office is super lax, off-the-field issues are still very discouraging, and it still feels very "loosy-goosy" overall. He said Kalani is just a really chill guy, which is a quality that makes him so likable, but also has its drawbacks. FTR, he also said that Kalani is universally loved by the staff, players, and admin... he's just a genuinely good, sincere, unassuming guy.



- I asked him about other coaching candidates in the wings, if Kalani doesn't work out. He said the pool is extremely shallow and thus TH will perhaps give Kalani a very long runway to figure out how to succeed. He said Kalani will almost surely make it beyond 2019 (barring a MAJOR disaster this season). I asked if there has been any discussion about dismissing the rule that a HC must be active LDS... he said this has never been seriously discussed, to his knowledge. He also said that some LDS coaches in the past have expressed that they aren't interested in coaching at BYU because they don't believe they can assemble a full, qualified staff that will fit at BYU. As a side-note: he said a few assistant coaches in recent years were discretely encouraged to "move on" specifically because of HC concerns (he mentioned specific names that I will not divulge).



- Before Kalani was hired, several coaches reached out to TH (not the other way around) to discuss potential. Some rather interesting ones: Lance Anderson, Brian Billick, Kyle Whittingham. He said Billick and Whitt were interested in staying close to the program, but at the time were not in a position to make changes. I asked specifically if Ken N. was offered the job and he simply said, "There was respectful, mutual agreement that it wasn't the right fit". He also laughed and said, "You would be surprised to see some of the people who reach out and express interest in becoming head coach at BYU - 'Yeah, I'm the defensive coordinator at Lee High School in Houston, Texas. I also happen to be the first counselor in the bishopric and run a very successful call center business....'"



- I asked about Robert Anae as a HC candidate. He said Robert is a very polarizing individual and doesn't have a lot of friends within the BYU admin. He said the first time RA left BYU to AZ, he left with some bad feelings. And it seems when he left for UVA he left with even worse feelings. He said he thinks there are some burned bridges between Anae and BYU. [FTR, I've also personally heard Anae speak about his coaching experience at BYU and he really has some issues related to BYU fans, the fan/church culture, and the expectations. I don't think BYU was his favorite coaching gig.]



- I asked about BOT support of athletics going forward. He said there is no doubt concern for the future of college athletics and he said schools cannot continue to burn millions and millions of dollars for the next several decades. He said most athletic programs (even top programs) are operating year after year in the red, while tuition costs also continue to skyrocket yet still can't cover the costs of athletics. He described TV revenue as a "deck of cards" for all but the top 30 programs.



- I asked about Independence vs MWC. He said returning to the MWC would give us back our natural rivals and would allow us to compete with schools of similar resources. And he said there is something to be said about playing for a championship in November. BUT he said he thinks that ship has sailed for multiple reasons. He said he believes most fans would not be content with a MWC schedule (and he pointed to fan support at BSU as a caution - "they have been more successful than just about anybody for the last 15 years but the fans just don't care about a win over New Mexico State."). He also said that if BYU returned to the MWC there would be a DRASTIC decrease in revenue and BYU would need to significantly reduce budgets and expenses. And he said exposure for the school and teams would shrink drastically - "Though we haven't capitalized, the BYU flag has been waving on ESPN for the past 3 years on equal footing with Texas, Michigan, and Auburn. Think about that. What is the consequence of moving to another .mtn network?" I asked him if the Admin thinks Independence has been a success. He answered, "That is hard to measure. Clearly we haven't been as successful as we'd like to have been But the landscape has changed, and I think BYU would be in an even weaker position had we not gone independent."



That's all I can remember for now. Hope it is enjoyed.
C
Cougarfan87
Very much enjoyed. Go out to lunch with your friend more often. ;)
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarfan87 wrote:

Very much enjoyed. Go out to lunch with your friend more often. ;)


Agreed - and I'd even let you buy him lunch if that helps in the frequency of the meetings
Y
YNot
scott715 wrote:

You might be interested in these comments.



https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=20233496



I haven't shared a lot of info recently, for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I don't have as many contacts within the AD as I used to have, and therefore I don't have nearly as much info to share. Secondly, I don't have as much time on my hands as I once had.



Having said that, I remain good friends with a member of the AD and occasionally we get together for lunch. I visited with him for over an hour on Tuesday, and it was great to catch up and to talk BYU sports. I won't share all that was said (specifically, I won't share info that I think he meant to share in confidence, nor will I share info that is specific to scheme and the like), but here are some interesting tidbits from our conversation:



- His **OPINION** on the QB battle: He believes the coaches having been planning to start Mangum since early spring. He also believes they intentionally didn't name him the starter because they felt he needed a consistent motivation to improve. He also has been told that Wilson has been a very pleasant surprise and has genuinely competed toe-to-toe with Mangum at a higher level than they anticipated. His opinion is that Tanner will still be named the starter against AZ, but that coaches won't have a problem giving Wilson opportunity if the team needs a spark. Coaches are of the opinion that the QB position is one of strength this year.



- QBs in general: Coaches are thrilled with the future at QB. Wilson has absolutely surprised them with his ability to pick up the offense so quickly. Jeron Hall is also a better QB than what they expected (they didn't recruit him). Hall might be QB #3 by game 1 (passing Critchlow) and coaches expect him to legitimately push Wilson for a starting position next year. As a side-note, Jeron has also talked to coaches about possibly playing baseball at BYU as a 2-sport athlete (his younger brother is a BYU baseball commit).


Fantastic rundown! Thank you.



Has anyone heard anything about Stacey Conner? Will he ever factor in the QB race? Next year, etc.?


- TEs in general: Holker and Tuipulotu are pushing for significant reps, and it's possible both will see the field (unless coaches decide to redshirt Tui). Bushman has added a lot of weight and has looked a bit heavy-footed in camp, and Holker is seriously pressing him. MLP is also quietly having a very solid camp. Coaches feel this is a deep and talent position group and will remain so for the next several years.


So, has Bushman regressed? Sounds like he could be less effective if he is bigger and slower.


- Defense: Major concern about depth in most positions. If the D can stay healthy, we'll be OK, but there's a STEEP drop at many position between starters and backups. Warner still isn't quite 100%. Takitaki is the clear Alpha of the group.


This seems to indicate that the defense WILL be a major concern all year. There is no way that we keep healthy with our September schedule.


- Recruiting: Despite perceptions, Kalani was very happy with the guys BYU landed last year and he feels many of them are under-rated for one reason or another. For example, Holker is a guy that most Pac-12 teams would've gladly signed, but he was an early BYU commit who wasn't swayed. Holker didn't sign with BYU on NLI day and teams from all over the country started pursuing him when they thought perhaps he was still available.


I tend to agree. We have enough new blood in the program with the quality transfers and the few excellent recruits that we landed. We grabbed two great OL in Empey and Hoge via transfer. Tonga is a beast, and he didn't register on the national recruiting boards. Seems like Holker and Wilson will be solid players. WR Romney could develop into a playmaker.



However, we WILL need to improve recruiting to improve the program to a significant degree. Depth. Depth. Depth. If we limp into October every year after facing 3 or 4 really tough opponents, we will lose some 'should-win' type games (ie, USU).


- I asked about BOT support of athletics going forward. He said there is no doubt concern for the future of college athletics and he said schools cannot continue to burn millions and millions of dollars for the next several decades. He said most athletic programs (even top programs) are operating year after year in the red, while tuition costs also continue to skyrocket yet still can't cover the costs of athletics. He described TV revenue as a "deck of cards" for all but the top 30 programs.


FWIW, yesterday Rondo Fehlberg stated at BYU Education week that he is and was 180-degree opposite of the stance of one of the Board of Trustees regarding the role of sports at Church schools and the decision to remove athletics from all Church schools except BYU - especially BYU-Idaho. BYU sports were weighed in the balance and deemed "acceptable for now." But, there are those who will continue to evaluate the balance, and if the scales tip the wrong way.....He iterated that the importance for BYU sports to be self-funded (including via donors) and to provide good exposure for the Church.


- I asked about Independence vs MWC. He said returning to the MWC would give us back our natural rivals and would allow us to compete with schools of similar resources. And he said there is something to be said about playing for a championship in November. BUT he said he thinks that ship has sailed for multiple reasons. He said he believes most fans would not be content with a MWC schedule (and he pointed to fan support at BSU as a caution - "they have been more successful than just about anybody for the last 15 years but the fans just don't care about a win over New Mexico State."). He also said that if BYU returned to the MWC there would be a DRASTIC decrease in revenue and BYU would need to significantly reduce budgets and expenses. And he said exposure for the school and teams would shrink drastically - "Though we haven't capitalized, the BYU flag has been waving on ESPN for the past 3 years on equal footing with Texas, Michigan, and Auburn. Think about that. What is the consequence of moving to another .mtn network?" I asked him if the Admin thinks Independence has been a success. He answered, "That is hard to measure. Clearly we haven't been as successful as we'd like to have been But the landscape has changed, and I think BYU would be in an even weaker position had we not gone independent."


I'm not sure which natural MWC rivals we aren't playing. Wyoming? Air Force? CSU? Not worth it.



We play Boise St. and Utah St. every year. We've seen series with UNLV, Fresno St., SJSU and Hawaii. We have an upcoming series with San Diego St. I'm sure we will be able to get a series with the Front Range schools at some point - if we want them.



I think many would prefer MWC for men's basketball...but, that doesn't outweigh football considerations...and the WCC has been a great home for the Olympic sports.



I'm a fan of the AAC. My preference would be to keep football independent, but to affiliate with an expanded AAC for some later-season football games and bowls. It would also include Olympic sports membership with Gonzaga and some MWC schools. Not likely, but that sure would check off a lot of boxes.
C
CrimsonCoug
Thanks for writing all of these up! Really interesting.

To me, the most interesting was this:


scott715 wrote:



- Program culture: This is still a concern for my friend. I asked specifically if Grimes and the other new coaches had helped add an increased level of discipline and accountability to the program. To my discouragement, the answer was no. My friend said the program is still nowhere near as disciplined as it was with the Mendenhall staff. He said practices are much less organized, many team functions are chaotic, the football office is super lax, off-the-field issues are still very discouraging, and it still feels very "loosy-goosy" overall. He said Kalani is just a really chill guy, which is a quality that makes him so likable, but also has its drawbacks. FTR, he also said that Kalani is universally loved by the staff, players, and admin... he's just a genuinely good, sincere, unassuming guy.


Kalani bein Kalani. I felt like he was brought in as almost the anti-Bronco. So you can't fault him for being himself; indeed, that was LaVell's advice for success to both Bronco and Kalani: "Don't be me. Don't be anybody else. Be your best you." I do think that Kalani is trying to improve himself. And maybe there's a middle ground between the "Law of Moses/Mendenhall" approach and the "Loving Laissez Faire/Sitake Year1-2" approach. I don't know. (I do know that the "Turn-a-blind-eye/Crowton" approach does NOT work). But if it Kalani doesn't work out, I think you have to lay the blame at the feet of the guy that hired him.



Unless, of course, Kalani was the only real option for the job...:


scott715 wrote:

- I asked him about other coaching candidates in the wings, if Kalani doesn't work out. He said the pool is extremely shallow and thus TH will perhaps give Kalani a very long runway to figure out how to succeed. He said Kalani will almost surely make it beyond 2019 (barring a MAJOR disaster this season). I asked if there has been any discussion about dismissing the rule that a HC must be active LDS... he said this has never been seriously discussed, to his knowledge. He also said that some LDS coaches in the past have expressed that they aren't interested in coaching at BYU because they don't believe they can assemble a full, qualified staff that will fit at BYU. As a side-note: he said a few assistant coaches in recent years were discretely encouraged to "move on" specifically because of HC concerns (he mentioned specific names that I will not divulge).


But that seems to contradict that there were some pretty qualified coaches that reached out to the AD.


scott715 wrote:

- Before Kalani was hired, several coaches reached out to TH (not the other way around) to discuss potential. Some rather interesting ones: Lance Anderson, Brian Billick, Kyle Whittingham. He said Billick and Whitt were interested in staying close to the program, but at the time were not in a position to make changes. I asked specifically if Ken N. was offered the job and he simply said, "There was respectful, mutual agreement that it wasn't the right fit". He also laughed and said, "You would be surprised to see some of the people who reach out and express interest in becoming head coach at BYU - 'Yeah, I'm the defensive coordinator at Lee High School in Houston, Texas. I also happen to be the first counselor in the bishopric and run a very successful call center business....'"




I'm curious to see where this ends. And it's interesting to see that if a lax-and-loving culture starts with the HC, then not even a hard-nosed outsider like Jeff Grimes can change that. And he had the best chance to do it, IMO, having understood the culture from his previous stint. And I believe Grimes was the only guy up until Bronco to be hired away from BYU since, what, Norm Chow? That's a long dry spell. And shows what a special "get" Grimes is. If he can't turn this runaway stage coach around, we're headed over a cliff to a very messy and painful landing.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I'd say the administration should worry more about hiring people who will win games and less about hiring people who they want to be friends with. Otherwise, we might have to call up that guy in Texas with the call center business.
J
Jarhead
hawkwing wrote:

I'd say the administration should worry more about hiring people who will win games and less about hiring people who they want to be friends with. Otherwise, we might have to call up that guy in Texas with the call center business.


He’s got my vote :lol:
M
Mars
I like Tom. I like Kalani. I like Dave. All are failing at their jobs currently.



Holmoe made it sound like the Church would rather drop sports than pay players when he spoke the other day, so maybe this will all be irrelevant soon.
D
dsmith1212
Mars wrote:

Holmoe made it sound like the Church would rather drop sports than pay players when he spoke the other day, so maybe this will all be irrelevant soon.


Mars, your recollections and interpretations, expressed in several threads, of what Holmoe said on Wednesday is so different than what I recall and interpreted. I'm glad I sat near the front or I might have thought I misheard?
M
Mars
dsmith1212 wrote:


Holmoe made it sound like the Church would rather drop sports than pay players when he spoke the other day, so maybe this will all be irrelevant soon.


Mars, your recollections and interpretations, expressed in several threads, of what Holmoe said on Wednesday is so different than what I recall and interpreted. I'm glad I sat near the front or I might have thought I misheard?

Maybe you sat next to me.



When asked about paying players, Holmoe gave a pretty quick, hard, and emphatic "NO." It was after that when he discussed what the board was willing to do for players, such as the recent heavy investment into nutrition.



I also found it interesting that he stated that BYU coaches don't recruit much internationally because the Church wants to funnel international students into BYU-Hawaii, even though they cut the sports program there. Again, seems counter-productive. I don't think many leaders in the Church see much value in athletics, to be honest. See: Ricks.
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
This is one of those threads that makes me an honest and true supporter of CougarCorner over any other site. I love the insight, the discussion, the debate...all of it. There is a point and counterpoint, argument and rebuttal, but without the immaturity and dramatics I see elsewhere.



Well done gentlemen.



I think the program at BYU is uniquely fascinating to follow. We have a world where people go to no end to WIN, regardless of any consequence to an individual or any higher morality. But BYU is different, and does things the right way. And when BYU does win, it is sooooooo much sweeter because we do it the right way.



Regardless of how things go, and the limitations of the honor code, the small pool of coaches, and the small pool of players who are willing to give all their athleticism AND their off-the-field behaviors to the benefit of the program...I will always wish BYU the best and be an active supporter. I want a program like this one to succeed so bad. Here's to hoping BYU football 2018 has success! Let's get a bowl! Let's get 7-8 or even more wins! Let's surprise the nation and knock off one of the best in the land! Gooooooooo Cougars!!!
M
Mars
I asked Mitch about this on Twitter. He said football activities were unorganized and a bit of a mess last year. He says that on the field, offensive players really seem to have bought into what Grimes is selling this year. He says he's unsure of some of Kalani's non-coaching football staff hires, and he'll be interested to see how Official Visits will be run for high school recruits in the future. Sounds like there is a lot of room for improvement.
Y
YNot
Mars wrote:

....

I also found it interesting that he stated that BYU coaches don't recruit much internationally because the Church wants to funnel international students into BYU-Hawaii, even though they cut the sports program there. Again, seems counter-productive. I don't think many leaders in the Church see much value in athletics, to be honest. See: Ricks.


I don't get it. Most university presidents will readily admit that their sports programs, and especially football and men's basketball programs, are the front porch of the university and key to market and attract students.



I guess BYU has the luxury of attracting top-20-level student bodies because of its Church affiliation.



Also, athletics is so much more to the culture and lifeblood of a university than just marketing. It's not very exciting to hold a rally for the chemistry class.
R
redneckjedi
YNot wrote:


....

I also found it interesting that he stated that BYU coaches don't recruit much internationally because the Church wants to funnel international students into BYU-Hawaii, even though they cut the sports program there. Again, seems counter-productive. I don't think many leaders in the Church see much value in athletics, to be honest. See: Ricks.


I don't get it. Most university presidents will readily admit that their sports programs, and especially football and men's basketball programs, are the front porch of the university and key to market and attract students.



I guess BYU has the luxury of attracting top-20-level student bodies because of its Church affiliation.



Also, athletics is so much more to the culture and lifeblood of a university than just marketing. It's not very exciting to hold a rally for the chemistry class.


The University of Colorado was pretty successful with something like this every April 20th, but it came with its own share of problems... ;)
S
scott715
Most of our international athletes are non members. Bringing them to the Y is a great thing for furthering the growth of the church in other countries. There is 0% chance they would go to BYU-H.



You would think, they would be very encouraging of recruiting these folks. We need to get some Chinese kids into our program.
Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
Hmm...a few thoughts just came to me about the Church and BYU. I don't like where the trend is heading.

1. The BOT (meaning the Qof12) has lost a lot of folks recently who were either fans of Sport of honored by the University: Thomas Monson, Gordon Hinckley (had a building named after him and was on the football field giving or receiving awards several times), Elder Wirthlin (former football player)

2. They have been replaced with individuals whose experience is outside of collegiate sports--either because they weren't from the US or they were part of the graduate school aparatus and may have a different view of the 'purpose' of a University. Russell Nelson (cardiologist; raised all girls. and a Ute ;) ), Ulisses Soares (raised in Brazil), Renlund (another cardiologist and Ute!), Rasband (UTE!), Cook (Aggie), Ballard (Ute) and Eyring (grew up in Princeton, grad from Utah and Harvard--none of which had any sports teams to speak of) . [Regarding the :utard: s, I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin!]

And Bednar was president of BYU-Idaho when the decision was made to can sports. Not a good sign.



On the other hand, Stevenson and Christofferson have been through the Y.



Wild cards are Oaks, Holland and Gong who have all served in high perches in the administration, and doubtless have their own views on the suitability of sports at BYU. Like Bednar, they may have a view to dropping the program. Or not.



At any rate, the natural constituency for BYU sports is small and junior. The opinions to watch are those of Holland and Oaks. My gut tells me that Oaks is pro and Holland is indifferent.



So, not a strong position at all!
G
Gunk
I don't think BYU football will ever be ran as smoothly and disciplined as it was under Bronco. That's a high bar. Bronco was a fanatic when it came to efficiency and execution.



The fact BYU football isn't as disciplined as it was under Bronco isn't a bad thing in and of itself. There is such a thing as being too disciplined to the point you lose sight of the intention. Football is a game. It is supposed to be fun by nature. Reminds me of a saying my grandfather had: don't have your halo on so tight that you can't think straight.



Now, wild west, happy go lucky times can be just as disfunctional as too disciplined. Seemed like Kalani swung too far that way the last two seasons.



As long as we win games and do it cleanly, I don't care how disciplined the team is. I don't watch BYU football operations. I watch BYU football games.
S
Sammich
CrimsonCoug wrote:

Wild cards are Oaks, Holland and Gong who have all served in high perches in the administration, and doubtless have their own views on the suitability of sports at BYU. Like Bednar, they may have a view to dropping the program. Or not.



At any rate, the natural constituency for BYU sports is small and junior. The opinions to watch are those of Holland and Oaks. My gut tells me that Oaks is pro and Holland is indifferent.



So, not a strong position at all!

I sat directly in front of Elder Holland at a basketball game a couple of years ago, and based on some of the comments he muttered under his breath, I would not worry about his position too much. He was very Pro-BYU, and while he was obviously trying to be quietly dignified, he couldn't keep it all inside, especially with respect to some of the officiating.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.