Jarhead wrote:
For the record, only 2/4 QBs were injured: Mangum and Hoge. Koy Detmer stunk and got the hook and Critchelow was the last guy standing.
And the fact that all 4 got similar results doesn't tell us a whole lot. We don't know how the higher-ranked QBs would have done against the lower competition and vice versa. BYU schedule of diminishing difficulty makes the last guys standing look better than they actually are, and makes the coaches look foolish for not having played the scrubs earlier.
You donât get much easier than Portland State as an opener, and we were in danger of losing that game. We couldnât cross the 50 yard line against LSU. This offense was sick last year, and it wasnât because of qb health.
Exactly. That's my point.
I'm happy that Mangum got the starting job. My opinion has little credibility, but I think that was the right call. I'm also happy
for Mangum. He's always struck me as an exceptionally high character person. He went through some rough spots, and a lot of that was not things he had control over. But he always seemed to take things in stride without blaming others. He just put gritted down and went to work.
I was very pleased to see Wilson do so well, and I'm glad we had him to push Mangum beyond what Critchelow could.
To the point of this thread, I hope the coaches take appropriate measure of the quality of opponents during the first few weeks of the season. If Mangum is looking lost out there, then maybe pull him. But I have a feeling that we'll need Wilson due to injury before the season is out. Not jinxing Tanner, but that's a murderer's row of massive D Linemen the first half of the season--especially Wisconsin.