Archived Topic

Monson: BYU should go back to Mountain West

by cougarapologist · 7/13/2018

Advertisement
C
cougarapologist
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/07/12/monson-byu-should-swallow/



Interesting article. Some mistakes in logic that he needs to iron out. For one, BYU does not continue with the Power 5 scheduling it now gets if it goes back to the MW. Right now, as an independent, the Power 5 conferences allow a BYU game to count as a nonconference Power conference game. Go back to the MW and that goes away.



But we do get a shot at an NY6 bowl game automatic slot. I'd be in favor of a scheduling/bowl deal with the MW like Notre Dame does with the ACC for football and moving the rest of the programs back to the MW.



But football in the MW? I can see pros and cons.
A
ABYUFAN
So - According to Monson, a viable way to "breath life into the BYU program" is to earn less money and appear on fewer TV's with the hope that it may be lucky enough to maybe schedule only a small amount of fewer good programs in football. Seems brilliant!



That reminds me of the time that I thought that the best way to improve my opportunities at my current job was to quit that job and go back to my old job that paid less and was filled with people that I didn't get along with.
C
Commoner
cougarapologist wrote:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/07/12/monson-byu-should-swallow/



Interesting article. Some mistakes in logic that he needs to iron out. For one, BYU does not continue with the Power 5 scheduling it now gets if it goes back to the MW. Right now, as an independent, the Power 5 conferences allow a BYU game to count as a nonconference Power conference game. Go back to the MW and that goes away.



But we do get a shot at an NY6 bowl game automatic slot. I'd be in favor of a scheduling/bowl deal with the MW like Notre Dame does with the ACC for football and moving the rest of the programs back to the MW.



But football in the MW? I can see pros and cons.


The BIG considers UConn and Cincy as counting as an OOC P5 game. I suspect BYU would retain that distinction if it moved to the MWC.
F
Fido
Not to mention the immediate cost of buying out all the future scheduled games that don't fit in the standard OOC schedule. This is not happening and it doesn't breathe life into the program from my point of view.
M
Mars
UConn and Cincy aren't in the MWC.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
2 things makes me completely disregard this opinion piece, first it is written by Gordon monson, second he says we should go back to the mountain west. BYU should NEVER, i repeat NEVER go back to the mountain west. That is like a dog returning to its vomit. Like getting back together with your narcissistic ex wife. I would go to any other conference other than the mountain west.
S
SenorCougar
Monsoon reminds me of the auditor who reviews the delinquent loan portfolio and asks why you funded the loan. Better said: he is the soldier that runs around the war zone and bayonets the already wounded. Criticizing AFTER the fact is “cajone-less”...
F
Fido
1018966338679681024
C
CrimsonCoug
Monson should go back to his cave.



I've long stopped clicking or caring about anything with his name on it. I won't be baited into being his clickbait.
C
crazycougar84601
If gordan monson loves the mountain west so much why doesn't he just do us all a favor and cover Aztec or Bronco football?
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
CrimsonCoug wrote:

Monson should go back to his cave.



I've long stopped clicking or caring about anything with his name on it. I won't be baited into being his clickbait.


Here! Here! I absolutely refuse to give him a click. What did BYU ever do to him to make him so rancorous towards the school or is it just him trying to "fit in" at the SLTripe I mean SLTrib?



Push forward with Indy and if we get an P5 invite down the road then hurrah. But with all the tv stuff going on, it may just turn out that the teams that lead to the most subscriptions will come out on top.

I would like a ND sched deal with the P12 and the B12 and then filling in the holes with whomever fits the best (except I don't like playing FCS teams even if they are better than some P5 and G5 teams) to have a strong but not overly harrowing schedule.
E
EM_Puma
It amazes me how an individual that has such a poor reputation for reporting continues on in this SLC market. He's not only still holding down a job at SLTrib, but also on AM1280. Yesterday I was heading somewhere and turned the radio and he was still going on about how BYU needed to get rid of the Honor Code because it was out-dated. While I agree that issues about facial hair and hair length seem foolish to me, the basic premise of the honor code that relates to WofW and chastity isn't going to change no matter how many years pass by or what others do. I'm not saying anyone has to agree with that, but you would have to be clueless of what BYU is based on to not understand that.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.