Archived Topic

What's Up with the Ads?

by 1967cougar · 6/23/2018

Advertisement
1
1967cougar
I might have missed out on this earlier and I would think someone else might have commented on it, but, why all the ads all of a sudden (for the last month or two) on the site? Does CougarCorner get money from having them here? Am I just the unlucky guy that gets smothered with them? It's almost like I'm reading down on Twitter or Fox News now.



A minor inconvenience is all it amount to, but I at least have to ask the question.



Hawk, any answers?
S
snoscythe
Yeah, I'm seeing the new inline ads as well.



Showed up on mobile a few weeks ago, now on the desktop version as well.



https://assets-auto.rbl.ms/97ce3d2bceabe5244a1c2efe3d6d3c51e5892221c49eed4bce52e536ade7a1ad" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
It's a new "feature" from Google, with their tracking and how I've attempted to have a single, non-invasive ad. They have the option of trying to fit ads in automatically in places. I haven't thought too much about it, as it hasn't bothered me all that much and because no one has complained. But it does get a little extreme on mobile.
E
EM_Puma
On my PC it's fine. I'm so used to ads everywhere on all websites that I don't much notice them. I liked though the one on when I came here for $1 off a shake at Arctic Circle.
G
Gunk
EM_Puma wrote:

On my PC it's fine. I'm so used to ads everywhere on all websites that I don't much notice them. I liked though the one on when I came here for $1 off a shake at Arctic Circle.


You clicked on one? You're in their net. 😂
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Gunk wrote:


On my PC it's fine. I'm so used to ads everywhere on all websites that I don't much notice them. I liked though the one on when I came here for $1 off a shake at Arctic Circle.


You clicked on one? You're in their net. 😂


Funny thing is that after I typed this response, I went back to click on it to get a coupon and it changed, and I've not seen it since, so no, I'm not yet "in their net."
J
Jarhead
I hate to complain, I very much appreciate what Hawk does for us. The ads are pretty out of control on mobile, which is what I typically use.
S
snoscythe
Jarhead wrote:

I hate to complain, I very much appreciate what Hawk does for us. The ads are pretty out of control on mobile, which is what I typically use.


I just wish it would show something other than ads for anonymous all-male party cruises in San Francisco Bay for the discerning business traveler.
G
Guest
I am going to look into adjusting it for mobile. Hang in there.
G
Guest
I am going to look into adjusting it for mobile. Hang in there.
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
snoscythe wrote:


I hate to complain, I very much appreciate what Hawk does for us. The ads are pretty out of control on mobile, which is what I typically use.


I just wish it would show something other than ads for anonymous all-male party cruises in San Francisco Bay for the discerning business traveler.


:bug:
S
Sharper
snoscythe wrote:

I just wish it would show something other than ads for anonymous all-male party cruises in San Francisco Bay for the discerning business traveler.


The ads are personalized to each person's interests.



But then, you already knew that.... :lol:
G
Gunk
Sharper wrote:


I just wish it would show something other than ads for anonymous all-male party cruises in San Francisco Bay for the discerning business traveler.


The ads are personalized to each person's interests.



But then, you already knew that.... :lol:


Didn't know I was interested in visiting Idaho.
B
Brayden Green
Yeah, I mostly lurk now and don't comment (working two jobs and it is offseason) but the ads are pretty insane on mobile.



I didn't want to start a comment, since I don't contribute much to the conversation more than once or twice a month... but since we are here, I'd like to stop getting Virginia "Fire Anae" T-shirt ads spammed at me...













( :lol: :P )
C
cougaholic
1967cougar wrote:

I might have missed out on this earlier and I would think someone else might have commented on it, but, why all the ads all of a sudden (for the last month or two) on the site? Does CougarCorner get money from having them here? Am I just the unlucky guy that gets smothered with them? It's almost like I'm reading down on Twitter or Fox News now.



A minor inconvenience is all it amount to, but I at least have to ask the question.



Hawk, any answers?


The best solution to this is to do some google searches for Jessica Alba, Blake Lively, Laura Vandervoot, or whoever floats your boat. Do this everyday and occasionally add the word lingerie in your search, and after a while Google will start showing you ads that you won't mind seeing while browsing this site.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Google has recently added some more options and controls on what kinds of ads get shown. I went in and turned OFF mobile ads that cover the entire screen, or those that stick to the bottom/top of the page and won't go away unless you click 'x' on them. I hope/believe that this will reduce the amount of frustrating ads, especially on mobile.
J
Jarhead
hawkwing wrote:

Google has recently added some more options and controls on what kinds of ads get shown. I went in and turned OFF mobile ads that cover the entire screen, or those that stick to the bottom/top of the page and won't go away unless you click 'x' on them. I hope/believe that this will reduce the amount of frustrating ads, especially on mobile.


It looks much better! Thanks for the update.
1
1967cougar
cougaholic wrote:


I might have missed out on this earlier and I would think someone else might have commented on it, but, why all the ads all of a sudden (for the last month or two) on the site? Does CougarCorner get money from having them here? Am I just the unlucky guy that gets smothered with them? It's almost like I'm reading down on Twitter or Fox News now.



A minor inconvenience is all it amount to, but I at least have to ask the question.



Hawk, any answers?


The best solution to this is to do some google searches for Jessica Alba, Blake Lively, Laura Vandervoot, or whoever floats your boat. Do this everyday and occasionally add the word lingerie in your search, and after a while Google will start showing you ads that you won't mind seeing while browsing this site.

Unfortunately, I once checked out a Ute football site. All my pop-ups deal with LGBTQ tolerance, cry rooms, snowflakes, stuffed animals, and job openings at Little Ceasars.
B
byufan4ever
A fun way to get to know each other would be to post which ads are showing up for each of us...
C
cougaholic
1967cougar wrote:


1967cougar wrote:

I might have missed out on this earlier and I would think someone else might have commented on it, but, why all the ads all of a sudden (for the last month or two) on the site? Does CougarCorner get money from having them here? Am I just the unlucky guy that gets smothered with them? It's almost like I'm reading down on Twitter or Fox News now.



A minor inconvenience is all it amount to, but I at least have to ask the question.



Hawk, any answers?


The best solution to this is to do some google searches for Jessica Alba, Blake Lively, Laura Vandervoot, or whoever floats your boat. Do this everyday and occasionally add the word lingerie in your search, and after a while Google will start showing you ads that you won't mind seeing while browsing this site.

Unfortunately, I once checked out a Ute football site. All my pop-ups deal with LGBTQ tolerance, cry rooms, snowflakes, stuffed animals, and job openings at Little Ceasars.


Hey, don't bad mouth Little Caesars. As far as my kids know, it's the best pizza on the planet.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.