Archived Topic

Just me, or has all the air been deflated from BYU football?

by BroncoBot · 6/21/2018

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Just wondering if I'm the only one having a hard time getting even a little excited about this years football season.
M
Mars
Meh.



A win at Arizona would do a lot to perk up my interest. Otherwise, I'll be daydreaming about Ken N. or whoever else our next head coach may be.
M
mormonrasta
Mars wrote:

Meh.



A win at Arizona would do a lot to perk up my interest. Otherwise, I'll be daydreaming about Ken N. or whoever else our next head coach may be.


I feel similar to this. I feel like our ceiling has hardened. We just don’t beat decent to great P5 teams on the road. With the way we schedule of playing teams like Arizona, Wisconsin, Washington and Utah on the road, we have no chance in playing in an elite bowl and a slim chance of finishing ranked.



My other issue is I just don’t know who are playmakers are. Who do I want to have the ball in clutch situations? Canada? Collie? Bushman? I just can’t get excited about our roster right now.



I hope I’m proven wrong and we have a breakthrough season. I felt this way going into 2006 and that started a great era for us.
G
Guest
The amount of season tickets that BYU is desperately emailing me about every day available for sale indicates to me that there is almost no excitement for BYU football this year.
A
ABYUFAN
I wanna believe that Grimes is the answer, but I don't. I'd like to jump on the bandwagon, but I'm not sure that it's going anywhere yet. Unfortunately for BYU I'm more excited about the new chop saw that I bought than I am about football.
Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
Never a fair competition when you put power tools in the mix.



If there's an answer, it's Grimes. It's a cliche that the college game is won and lost in the trenches. We'll be able to see if that's true. We lost a good one in Tejan, and I don't know who's going to replace him, but Grimes has demonstrated all the way through and at the very top that he's one of the very best o-line coaches there is. That doesn't have me excited, but it's the thin thread of hope that I'm clinging to.



But 2006 had a John Beck who was an OCD perfectionist and denizen of the film room who no longer had to worry about a QB competition with Matt Berry (who was actually pretty good until he broke his hand, ironically, against Bronco's UNM defense). I don't know that we have anyone with Beck's phenomenal willpower to fix his mistakes. Maybe we do.



If so, then Maybe, just maybe we can have a decent season.....

Of course, the 2006 schedule was nothing like the 2018 schedule.
B
BroncoBot
ABYUFAN wrote:

I wanna believe that Grimes is the answer, but I don't. I'd like to jump on the bandwagon, but I'm not sure that it's going anywhere yet. Unfortunately for BYU I'm more excited about the new chop saw that I bought than I am about football.


CHOP SAW! Dude, congrats.



Right now I'm more excited about a new shop broom than I am about football.



I agree with the honorable rasta. WHO is even on the team? besides a few defensive and QB/RB faces, I have no idea. I'm not expecting a single person to have a breakout year.
M
Mars
BroncoBot wrote:


I wanna believe that Grimes is the answer, but I don't. I'd like to jump on the bandwagon, but I'm not sure that it's going anywhere yet. Unfortunately for BYU I'm more excited about the new chop saw that I bought than I am about football.


CHOP SAW! Dude, congrats.



Right now I'm more excited about a new shop broom than I am about football.



I agree with the honorable rasta. WHO is even on the team? besides a few defensive and QB/RB faces, I have no idea. I'm not expecting a single person to have a breakout year.

Takitaki's senior year, if he remains eligible.
G
Gunk
The air has been leaking for the last 5 years. The last two punched a couple more holes in the ball so it's deflating twice as fast.



A series of poor decisions by BYU combined with lack luster season after lack luster season and the changes in the football landscape have made the fanbase pretty apathetic.



It's been 5 years since I've been excited about BYU football.



I'll watch the first few games of the season, if they win and something exciting, I'll watch some more. If not, I won't put limited time into watching them. It has to be worth it.
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:

The air has been leaking for the last 5 years. The last two punched a couple more holes in the ball so it's deflating twice as fast.



A series of poor decisions by BYU combined with lack luster season after lack luster season and the changes in the football landscape have made the fanbase pretty apathetic.



It's been 5 years since I've been excited about BYU football.



I'll watch the first few games of the season, if they win and something exciting, I'll watch some more. If not, I won't put limited time into watching them. It has to be worth it.


Outside of a few moments (KVN vs Ole Miss and SDSU, Riley Nelson vs Utah St, Taysom vs Texas, Mangum vs Neb & Boise, Jamaal vs Toledo, etc.), there's been very little excitement surrounding the program since the 54-10 game.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Is Hoyt our new Center?
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:

Is Hoyt our new Center?


You mean Hoge? The transfer from Notre Dame?
F
Fido
You guys crack me up.
S
scott715
I plan on going to the AZ and BSU games. My fandom has not changed. We will get better at some point.
Advertisement
S
scott715
I plan on going to the AZ and BSU games. My fandom has not changed. We will get better at some point.
B
BroncoBot
scott715 wrote:

I plan on going to the AZ and BSU games. My fandom has not changed. We will get better at some point.

I'm still a fan, and always will be.

However, I don't spend my days trying to find new articles and info about what's going on in the program. I've stopped expecting to have another Max Hall or John Beck (or heck even Riley Nelson) leading the team to some nice wins. by this time of the year, usually I'm itching for some football, not this year. I realized the other day that football isn't too far away, and I don't really care. I'll probably attend some games and would LOVE to see some big wins, but I won't spend Thursday, Friday and Saturday until kickoff looking forward to BYU football.



Maybe I'm just getting OLD!!!
F
Fido
I'm still digging into rosters, depth charts, etc. looking at who will be playing. I've followed teams all my life and my interest doesn't really depend on the current success they are having. I was a LA Rams fan for years because of where I lived and cheered for the local team and they were terrible for a long time. Since I made BYU my education choice I've been and fan and don't see that changing anytime in the near or long term future.
1
1967cougar
Not much excitement here either. I will watch the games, every one, but most likely won't trek up to Provo to see one this year. Having sat thru the horrible Tommy Hudsputh years back in the '60's (yep, old man here), I'll never tire of watching the games. And, is it just me or has the rivalry seemed to dampen a bit also? I can't even mix it up with my Ute friends at church much anymore. I was thinking it was the effects of age but I'm wondering if it isn't the depressing gloom that now is Cougar Football. I'll always be loyal, true and hopeful looking upward. I'd rather be brash, arrogant, and looking down at the Utahs, TCUs and Boise States of the world.
B
BOID
I voted, “Its just you, Dude.”



But, it doesn’t mean that I expect some crazy break-out season.

I think BYU will win 6 or 7 games and then go to some lack-luster bowl.



On the other hand, I am excited to see what Grimes can do. Also excited about new infusion of talent. There are some returning missionaries that were big time recruits, that are going to shore up the lines, and I’m excited about ZacWilson and Dylan Collie. Bushman is quite good already, and there’s also Zac Kotoa. Squally is solid, and Burt Riley seemed to have found his mojo again by the end of last season. If Mangum’s mojo returns, then that would be great, but we’ll still be OK if he can’t make it back.



I’m also feeling a bit rev’d up by the recent Jacob Conover commitment. BYU’s recruiting is apparently is not washed up because of just one really bad season. There will be rebound and recovery. The trajectory will continue in a gradually upward trend.



In general, I think there’ll be a new level of piss and vinegar among our Cougars this year.



So, I’m looking forward to watching them.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.