Archived Topic

New Redshirt Rules Give Mangum Another Year?

by snoscythe · 6/13/2018

Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
It is good to see Drew writing again. You can tell he's still a Ute, though, even without reading his bio in Forbes. But I appreciate that his writing has more depth than most.



I don't think this gets Mangum another year, though, unless he plays <5 games this year (which I don't think he will, barring injury). I don't think the rule is retro-active to 2016 when he backed up Taysom and only played in a handful of games.
F
Fido
CrimsonCoug wrote:

...

I don't think this gets Mangum another year, though, unless he plays <5 games this year (which I don't think he will, barring injury). I don't think the rule is retro-active to 2016 when he backed up Taysom and only played in a handful of games.


You are correct. The rules begin this fall. Unless Mangum plays <5 games this year and wants to use a redshirt year to come back again next year, this rule does him no good. In fact, the article is about how it could negatively impact him because BYU can be less concerned about giving a young QB a tryout due to the new rules.
S
snoscythe
Fido wrote:


...

I don't think this gets Mangum another year, though, unless he plays <5 games this year (which I don't think he will, barring injury). I don't think the rule is retro-active to 2016 when he backed up Taysom and only played in a handful of games.


You are correct. The rules begin this fall. Unless Mangum plays <5 games this year and wants to use a redshirt year to come back again next year, this rule does him no good. In fact, the article is about how it could negatively impact him because BYU can be less concerned about giving a young QB a tryout due to the new rules.


I heard a rumor that the hardship waiver may be eliminated in the near future with this regular redshirt expansion. Just have one bright line for all situations and get rid of the NCAA playing doctor.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.