Archived Topic

Former BYU coach fired

by Cougarpoke · 1/14/2010

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
I was reading on ESPN.com today and saw where Tuberville, the newly anointed coach of Texas Tech has fired the entire defensive staff under former coach Leach. One of the coaches that was fired was Brian Mitchell, who was a former player and coach of BYU. I guess I failed to realize how much BYU had an influence at TT. Wonder if Mitchell is looking at returning to Provo?



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4824927
B
bigbluepuma
Cougarpoke wrote:
I was reading on ESPN.com today and saw where Tuberville, the newly anointed coach of Texas Tech has fired the entire defensive staff under former coach Leach. One of the coaches that was fired was Brian Mitchell, who was a former player and coach of BYU. I guess I failed to realize how much BYU had an influence at TT. Wonder if Mitchell is looking at returning to Provo?



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4824927

I hope not. When he was coaching, the d-backs defended like he defended. Get McTyre.
C
Cougarpoke
I would agree with you that I think Mitchell didn't do as good of a job with the secondary as Hill is doing now. Don't get me wrong, I meet Mitchell a few times while attending BYU and thought he was a very nice guy and a good recruiter...but, I do not think he was the best coach for the BYU secondary. I just thought it was interesting that he got fired. He will probably land with the Pukes...hahaha
D
Ddawg
Cougarpoke wrote:
I would agree with you that I think Mitchell didn't do as good of a job with the secondary as Hill is doing now. Don't get me wrong, I meet Mitchell a few times while attending BYU and thought he was a very nice guy and a good recruiter...but, I do not think he was the best coach for the BYU secondary. I just thought it was interesting that he got fired. He will probably land with the Pukes...hahaha


Ouch!! Bam!
L
Lawboy
Not surprised Brian Mitchell got fired since that whole Tech staff was let go. Happens with coaching changes. And as for Brian's coaching, I thought he did just fine at BYU and was good at Tech. It's not like BYU has had awesome corners for coaches to work with. Sometimes it is not the coach, but the player.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Well, there goes Techs recruiting class out the window...



Open up a spot for Mitchell as DBs coach, Hill stays the DC and let Bronco have the Lavell Edwards seat with less defensive oversight.



I'm sure Mitchell has a ton of Texas connections now. (and he needs a job)



There's something to say about BYU and job security.
I
Iceman
Lawboy wrote:
Not surprised Brian Mitchell got fired since that whole Tech staff was let go. Happens with coaching changes. And as for Brian's coaching, I thought he did just fine at BYU and was good at Tech. It's not like BYU has had awesome corners for coaches to work with. Sometimes it is not the coach, but the player.


I think he was a decent recruiter, but I thought he was a marginal coach, and he frustrated me no end as a player. He wouldn't/couldn't tackle, nor could the players he taught. I didn't watch enough of TT to know whether he has done a better job there, or not. I might be judging him incorrectly based on what he had to work with(?), but I see a major improvement under Jaime Hill.



All said, I've always heard what a good guy Mitchell is, and I hope he has gained some skills that lead him to success.
M
Mars


I'd hire him back.



Also, the stupid search feature on this site is broken. It always says "too common", no matter what you enter...



"Fired head coach Mike Leach is a BYU graduate...

BYU offensive coordinator Robert Anae was the offensive line coach under Leach before coming to BYU in 2005.

Cornerbacks coach Brian Mitchell and wide receivers coach Dennis Simmons are both former BYU players and coaches.

Texas Tech head football trainer Steve Pincock held a training post at BYU before leaving for Lubbock."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=9189424
G
gmj81
Who would you replace to hire Mitchell back? There are only so many coaches you can have on staff and I'm virtually certain BYU is at that limit. Plus, I just don't think Mitchell brings anything more to the table. If hill left and Bronco re-assumed the DC role, then maybe Mitchell would be a good one to welcome back into the fold. It would be interesting to see what Bronco would do though long-term with the DC job. I wonder if he'd promote someone on staff and coach him up (but still maintain playcalling duties), or bring in someone from the outside. If KWhitt wanted to repent, I might consider letting him back in as our DC but that would take a whole lotta sackcloth and ashes before he'd be cleansed enough to qualify ;)



There has been talk lately that guys like Higgins, Lamb and Hill could move on soon. The guys I see as replacements for those guys would be Ben Cahoon, Cameron Jensen, and MAYBE Kalani Sitake though I'm torn on that last one. I really don't like some of the dirty things that he's been purported to have done up on the hill against his alma mater. And I also don't really think he's actually ready to necessarily be a DC. KW just put him there to keep him on staff. But then, Bronco could do something similar and continue to train the guy up. I also think that would be a huge slap in the face to Kaufusi who might not be as dynamic of a recruiter as Sitake but is a pretty good coach in his own right.



Others who could be good for future openings would be Chad Lewis, Ty Detmer, Justin Ena. I think the next OC needs to be Doman/Reynolds. And I mean that to be co-OCs. Doman is too valuable not to promote up the chain and Reynolds could be a great play caller and is known to be a player's coach. It's nice to have a few of those on staff.
C
Cougarpoke
I am not a fan of having Reynolds as a OC or play caller. I remember when he took over those positions for a year and the offense was terrible. It is Doman's job to lose. He is being groomed to be the next OC and the next head coach.
Advertisement
B
byutx
Lawboy wrote:
Not surprised Brian Mitchell got fired since that whole Tech staff was let go. Happens with coaching changes. And as for Brian's coaching, I thought he did just fine at BYU and was good at Tech. It's not like BYU has had awesome corners for coaches to work with. Sometimes it is not the coach, but the player.

One of the reasons they hired Tuberville was that he was going to try to leave the staff as intact as possible. Unlike most coaching changes, it wasn't supposed to be a complete regime change from top to bottom.
L
Lawboy
byutx wrote:
Not surprised Brian Mitchell got fired since that whole Tech staff was let go. Happens with coaching changes. And as for Brian's coaching, I thought he did just fine at BYU and was good at Tech. It's not like BYU has had awesome corners for coaches to work with. Sometimes it is not the coach, but the player.

One of the reasons they hired Tuberville was that he was going to try to leave the staff as intact as possible. Unlike most coaching changes, it wasn't supposed to be a complete regime change from top to bottom.


Firing 6 assistant coaches is hardly leaving the staff in tact, is all I know....
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
Also, the stupid search feature on this site is broken. It always says "too common", no matter what you enter...


Mars, I have adjusted the search feature and reindexed for you. I think you'll find it far more effective now.
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:
Also, the stupid search feature on this site is broken. It always says "too common", no matter what you enter...


Mars, I have adjusted the search feature and reindexed for you. I think you'll find it far more effective now.


I'm told that Mars just kept entering "bacon" in the search field because he was hungry.
G
gmj81
Cougarpoke wrote:
I am not a fan of having Reynolds as a OC or play caller. I remember when he took over those positions for a year and the offense was terrible. It is Doman's job to lose. He is being groomed to be the next OC and the next head coach.


When was that? I don't recall that, at least any time recently.
Advertisement
M
Mars
ABYUFAN wrote:
Mars, I have adjusted the search feature and reindexed for you. I think you'll find it far more effective now.
I'm told that Mars just kept entering "bacon" in the search field because he was hungry.
"Bacon": 36 results http://www.cougarcorner.com/search.php :D



Thanks again Hawk, youdaman!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.