Archived Topic

BYU Sports Nation: Would it be a major accomplishment to get to 6 wins?

by hawkwing · 5/22/2018

Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Major accomplishment? If BYU beats Hawaii, McNeese State, Utah State, Northern Illinois, UMass, and N.M. State that's considered a MAJOR Accomplishment? Well, if a Leg Lamp is a Major Award, maybe its a major accomplishment. . .



In my opinion, if BYU doesn't win 8 games Kalani Sitake needs to go.
S
snoscythe
Kalani couldn't beat UMASS at home -- are we really that confident he can do it in the Eastern time zone?
J
Jarhead
It would be a major failure to fall below 6 wins again. Kalani is the coach that oversaw our program sinking to the lowest of lows on the field. He doesn't get brownie points for getting us back to .500 ball.
A
ABYUFAN
snoscythe wrote:

Kalani couldn't beat UMASS at home -- are we really that confident he can do it in the Eastern time zone?


I am not confident that he can win all six of those games. I believe that BYU will be looking for a new head coach next year. I hope that I am wrong. That's said, BYU is still BYU and wining those six games should be considered something other than a major accomplishment.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Getting BYU to a bowl game is expected, anything below that Sitake should be fired.
M
Mars
If BYU can't win 7 games, Sitake should be gone. That might be difficult, sad as that is.
B
BOID
Mars wrote:

If BYU can't win 7 games, Sitake should be gone. That might be difficult, sad as that is.


Agreed.
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
What if he gets 6, and 1 of them is Utah? Hmmmm???
M
Mars
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:

What if he gets 6, and 1 of them is Utah? Hmmmm???

Then he gets a 7-year extension!
F
frdbtr
For me, it all really depends on whether we see discipline back in the program or not. If we win 6 and the team looks in disarray but we get the wins because we have so many crappy teams on the schedule, then I think he should go. If we get 6 and one of them is the utes and the team looks improved, I say give him another year to evaluate again. If we win 6 because the offense is awesome and the defense is giving up 30 points per game, we need another house cleaning but this time the defensive staff.
E
EM_Puma
Wow, what high expectations people have. Six wins is a very positive accomplishment and any less would be disappointing, but not a "major" accomplishment.



Only if BYU has less than five wins would I replace KS. Replacing KS would be devastating to recruiting.
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:
Replacing KS would be devastating to recruiting.


Meh.



Our recruiting master has turned in three sub-par recruiting classes. His best class to date would have had boosters' pitchforks out if he was named after a Ford product.



https://media.giphy.com/media/xRi6r9iWGoRaw/giphy.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
EM_Puma wrote:

Wow, what high expectations people have. Six wins is a very positive accomplishment and any less would be disappointing, but not a "major" accomplishment.



Only if BYU has less than five wins would I replace KS. Replacing KS would be devastating to recruiting.


I think that there is a difference between standards and expectations. I do not see BYU actually winning 6 games next year so that number is not my expectation. However, if BYU cannot meet that standard then the coach should be fired.
C
CrimsonCoug
ABYUFAN wrote:


Wow, what high expectations people have. Six wins is a very positive accomplishment and any less would be disappointing, but not a "major" accomplishment.



Only if BYU has less than five wins would I replace KS. Replacing KS would be devastating to recruiting.


I think that there is a difference between standards and expectations. I do not see BYU actually winning 6 games next year so that number is not my expectation. However, if BYU cannot meet that standard then the coach should be fired.


Agree.

The Minimum Acceptable Outcome is 6 wins and a respectable showing in a bowl game.

The Standard is 9 wins (just below our average over the Independence period, excluding last year's embarrassment)

An Accomplishment is anything above the standard. Unless BYU is no longer BYU, and we're taking the the Homer Simpson approach: "If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards." (I'm sure Sno could find a gif of that clip).

My Expectation is 5 wins, a loss to the Utes, and another season of grumpiness.

Should anything less than the minimum acceptable outcome occur, my further expectation is that a new coaching staff will be named come Christmas.

If the MAO is just barely met, then I expect a contract extension that stipulates that the Standard must be met within 2 years, and that if the MAO is not met, the HC will be replaced immediately with whichever coordinator sucks less acting as interim HC.
C
CrimsonCoug
My guess is that BYU will get to 5 wins and will face the Utes in the season finale. Whittingham will then beat his former protege, costing Sitake his job.



That's not a very blue-goggled outlook of me. I should change my icon. Sheesh.
S
snoscythe
CrimsonCoug wrote:
That's not a very blue-goggled outlook of me. I should change my icon.


Could I interest you in our rose-colored-blinders-on "Derik Stevenson + Kalani Sitake" model?



http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1538/1711/products/blinders_600x.jpeg?v=1487625896" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
crazycougar84601
6 wins is an accomplishment compared to last year and what the road schedule looks like this year. I was not a big fan of the Kalani hire from the start, but i can see his strengths and i am behind him as a fan. I hope he cleans up the locker room and gets these guys where they need to be. GO COUGARS!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.