S
scott715Archived Topic
Jay Drew is out
by scott715 · 5/14/2018
Advertisement
G
GuestWell, it looks like Jay Drew has been laid off and will no longer be covering the Cougars for the Trib.
https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/996101647284645888
https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/996101647284645888
S
snoscytheI hated the guy and his coverage of BYU--everything came across as snide and backhanded.
That said, never happy to see someone lose their job. I was kind of hoping the Trib would either promote him out of his spot or hide him far behind the new paywall.
Best of luck to Jay finding something and landing on his feet.
That said, never happy to see someone lose their job. I was kind of hoping the Trib would either promote him out of his spot or hide him far behind the new paywall.
Best of luck to Jay finding something and landing on his feet.
G
GuestI feel like Jay improved over time. I don't think he was a happy camper when he first started covering BYU.
M
MarsI liked Drew. He sometimes had an edge, or highlighted the negative, but he covered the team deeply and thoroughly.
Advertisement
G
GunkOne of the few journalists that regularly covered BYU. It's a loss.
B
BoiseBYUDrew had the talent of finding the negative in anything and putting it in a tweet. Heâll land work with some politician.
A
ABYUFANIt'd be nice if the Tribune just stopped covering BYU sports
C
CrimsonCougHe could be a bit negative, but overall I thought he was pretty fair. He dug deeper than most and had good detail on inner workings of the team. I appreciated his blogs. He gave a different perspective that was helpful. And he did get better (and less bitter) over time.
It's a loss to have him out.
And it's pretty surprising--his subject matter drew tons of clicks from BYU fans and comments from the Utes. ;)
It's a loss to have him out.
And it's pretty surprising--his subject matter drew tons of clicks from BYU fans and comments from the Utes. ;)
T
TulaneVandyRiceCougIt was the Jackson Emery coverage that made me throw up in my mouth a little. He relied too much on being provocative to get clicks.
Advertisement
1
1967cougarI like Jay. I really do. True, his comments were often negative. I just smiled when I read them. But he reported on most sports and, when he was present, he was thorough. Besides, the man loves golf. That is worth a million. I wish him the best and I will continue to follow him on twitter.
E
EM_PumaMars wrote:
I liked Drew. He sometimes had an edge, or highlighted the negative, but he covered the team deeply and thoroughly.
My feelings exactly.
S
SpiffCougBack when I was writing for TBS (10+ years ago), I would go to probably 3 practices a week to cover the bball team. The guys from the Trib and 1280 were the only ones who never talked to me. Darnell Dickson, Jason Franchuck, Jeff Call, Dick Harmon and even Greg Wrubell would talk to me. We'd discuss our thoughts of the teams. They'd take to me about the journalism business. They'd even compliment me on questions I'd ask. We became friendly. I still can say hi to Greg today and he remembers me.
But the guys from 1280 and the Trib never spoke with me. They were cut from a different cloth.
But the guys from 1280 and the Trib never spoke with me. They were cut from a different cloth.
C
CrimsonCougInteresting perspective, Spiff. Thanks for sharing it.
Like most people, I love Greg Wrubell. And not just for his in-depth reporting and excitement for being able to talk about BYU all day. When my brother in law was 14 he called up Greg and asked if he could interview him. Greg spent about 2 hours with him and invited him to come sit in the booth with him when the season started. Incredibly gracious. I wish he'd tell the bad news some times, just so we had it from a reliable source, but that's not his role. Drew played a decent counterpoint to that.
I'm not surprised to hear that G.Monson was a punk. Or even that Drew was crusty 10 years ago. That seems right with what I remember of his writing style at that point.
Like most people, I love Greg Wrubell. And not just for his in-depth reporting and excitement for being able to talk about BYU all day. When my brother in law was 14 he called up Greg and asked if he could interview him. Greg spent about 2 hours with him and invited him to come sit in the booth with him when the season started. Incredibly gracious. I wish he'd tell the bad news some times, just so we had it from a reliable source, but that's not his role. Drew played a decent counterpoint to that.
I'm not surprised to hear that G.Monson was a punk. Or even that Drew was crusty 10 years ago. That seems right with what I remember of his writing style at that point.
G
GuestI've actually run into Greg at a few outside of BYU things and I find him to be a bit of a diva. I enjoy him on the radio a great deal, but he seems a bit full of himself in person.
Advertisement
G
Gunkhawkwing wrote:
I've actually run into Greg at a few outside of BYU things and I find him to be a bit of a diva. I enjoy him on the radio a great deal, but he seems a bit full of himself in person.
He's a local celebrity. Not surprised.
1
1967cougarGunk wrote:
I've actually run into Greg at a few outside of BYU things and I find him to be a bit of a diva. I enjoy him on the radio a great deal, but he seems a bit full of himself in person.
He's a local celebrity. Not surprised.
Overcompensating for his bald head.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

