G
GuestArchived Topic
Khymani is gone
by hawkwing · 5/12/2018
Advertisement
S
SpiffCougKalani's top notch skill at recruiting strikes again!
Only 5 1/2 more months.
Only 5 1/2 more months.
F
frdbtrHaven't you heard? Kalani is not a master recruiter, he is a master of moving no talent shlubs into places where they shine and become NFL draft pics.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865697646/Recruiting-net-for-BYU-football-narrow-coaches-are-looking-for-advantages-opportunities.html
C
CrimsonCougSounds like a guy that Detmer's staff recruited that Grimes' crew didn't see sufficient value in.
It's an open question as to whether Sitake should have forced Grimes to eat that commitment.
It's an open question as to whether Sitake should have forced Grimes to eat that commitment.
F
Fido995158228697726977
The Kalani-bashers gonna bash first read up later I suppose...
This is also a recruit who had 1 offer--BYU.
The Kalani-bashers gonna bash first read up later I suppose...
This is also a recruit who had 1 offer--BYU.
Advertisement
C
canadiancoug24His offer was pulled. He was a Detmer recruit. As for Kalani's "superior" recruiting skills everyone seems to mock on here, I look forward to seeing what this staff can do with this available scholarship and watching you all eat crow.
F
frdbtrI hope I eat a ton of crow this year. Unfortunately, those of us who knew what we had in Bronco Mendenhall and wanted his replacement to have better credentials than what we got in Kalani, have been painfully right about him.
F
Fidofrdbtr wrote:
I hope I eat a ton of crow this year. Unfortunately, those of us who knew what we had in Bronco Mendenhall and wanted his replacement to have better credentials than what we got in Kalani, have been painfully right about him.
Bronco-lovers can't stop living in the past. The dude walked away from you and this program well over 2 years ago. This recruit had nothing to do with Bronco. But here you are lauding the glory of Bronco Mendenhall and taking the opportunity to publicly document your dislike for his replacement. I don't care if you like Sitake or not--but really your continually bringing up Bronco is an old, tired act. Life moves on--I guess some people can't.
M
MarsBronco being essentially forced out makes it painful that his replacement has been so inferior thus far. Sports fans always look back to when their team was the best.
S
snoscytheAdvertisement
F
frdbtrFido wrote:
I hope I eat a ton of crow this year. Unfortunately, those of us who knew what we had in Bronco Mendenhall and wanted his replacement to have better credentials than what we got in Kalani, have been painfully right about him.
Bronco-lovers can't stop living in the past. The dude walked away from you and this program well over 2 years ago. This recruit had nothing to do with Bronco. But here you are lauding the glory of Bronco Mendenhall and taking the opportunity to publicly document your dislike for his replacement. I don't care if you like Sitake or not--but really your continually bringing up Bronco is an old, tired act. Life moves on--I guess some people can't.
Bronco would have never left if the fans and boosters had made him feel welcome. Bronco wasn't a social butterfly like Lavell was but he was a damn good coach and we were lucky to have him. The fans and boosters running him off was akin to if we had run off Lavell before the 80's run he had. I was against the Sitake hire from the very beginning but I have been hoping for the best for him because I love BYU football, and last year he gave me the worst performance a BYU team has had in my lifetime including the Crowton years. At least with Crowton, we would leave a game thinking "we only need a little improvement to be good". Last year, I saw a team that was in complete disarray. I am hoping beyond hope that this year Sitake becomes a good coach but I am a skeptic. You can bag on me about living in the past when I bring up Bronco but I just can't get over the fact that our fans and Boosters thought that BYU actually could go out and hire someone better, when Bronco did things at BYU that I don't think can be duplicated. Lavell won a ton of games but rarely had a schedule like BYU currently is scheduling for itself and didn't have nearly the recruiting restrictions that BYU currently has. Like I said above, I hope I eat a ton of Crow this year because I want to see BYU win.
G
GunkI'm kinda tempted everytime a thread turns to a discussion about Bronco to start talking about all my past girlfriends.
F
FidoGunk wrote:
I'm kinda tempted everytime a thread turns to a discussion about Bronco to start talking about all my past girlfriends.
YES. It is one of the big reasons I tire of BYU forums and have to take a break from time to time. One big whine-fest that turns into Bronco idol-worship and current administration bashing. I'm an alum and love my school/team but totally get why other fan bases mock Cougar fans.
M
MarsFido wrote:
I'm kinda tempted everytime a thread turns to a discussion about Bronco to start talking about all my past girlfriends.
YES. It is one of the big reasons I tire of BYU forums and have to take a break from time to time. One big whine-fest that turns into Bronco idol-worship and current administration bashing. I'm an alum and love my school/team but totally get why other fan bases mock Cougar fans.
Honestly, we're like most medium to large fanbases of teams that had greater past successes than current.
F
FidoItâs cute that you think so
Advertisement
J
JarheadFido wrote:
Itâs cute that you think so
I lean towards agreeing with Mars on this one.
C
CrimsonCougSoo...essentially Khymani is saying that because of "other mishaps" his schollie was "reevaluated" and he didn't have enough rapport with the new coaching staff for them to overcome those mishaps.
It's a bummer for him, but probably not too surprising from the team's perspective. And only reflects indirectly on Kalani. If Sitake's going to give Grimes a long leash--like I'm sure was a pre-requisite of coming--then Sitake's not going to interfere with decisions like this.
I don't see how Kalani's recruiting has anything to do with it.
And throughout Mendenhall's tenure there were comparisons to Lavell. I don't remember anyone kvetching about that comparison. Like Mars said, it's part of being a fan to analyze the program and benchmark against past performance. Even if in this instance making this about Kalani seems entirely misplaced, imho.
It's a bummer for him, but probably not too surprising from the team's perspective. And only reflects indirectly on Kalani. If Sitake's going to give Grimes a long leash--like I'm sure was a pre-requisite of coming--then Sitake's not going to interfere with decisions like this.
I don't see how Kalani's recruiting has anything to do with it.
And throughout Mendenhall's tenure there were comparisons to Lavell. I don't remember anyone kvetching about that comparison. Like Mars said, it's part of being a fan to analyze the program and benchmark against past performance. Even if in this instance making this about Kalani seems entirely misplaced, imho.
S
snoscytheI'm a Baylor fan, and Matt Rhule is definitely getting compared to Art Briles at every turn.
This is not a BYU-specific thing. I think it's an NCAA football fans thing.
If BYU football continues to flat-line, Holmoe and BYU have some explaining to do in how they refused to make accommodations for Bronco and give him the financial resources to take care of his staff, but as soon as he left they opened up the faucets for a completely unproven staff.
This is not a BYU-specific thing. I think it's an NCAA football fans thing.
If BYU football continues to flat-line, Holmoe and BYU have some explaining to do in how they refused to make accommodations for Bronco and give him the financial resources to take care of his staff, but as soon as he left they opened up the faucets for a completely unproven staff.
B
BroncoBotsnoscythe wrote:
I'm a Baylor fan, and Matt Rhule is definitely getting compared to Art Briles at every turn.
This is not a BYU-specific thing. I think it's an NCAA football fans thing.
If BYU football continues to flat-line, Holmoe and BYU have some explaining to do in how they refused to make accommodations for Bronco and give him the financial resources to take care of his staff, but as soon as he left they opened up the faucets for a completely unproven staff.
There certainly have been some inconsistencies.
B
BoiseBYUI wonder what mish aps derailed him?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

