Archived Topic

BYU the most woke school in the state

by hawkwing · 4/8/2018

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
What about "Respect women"?
J
Jarhead
snoscythe wrote:

What about "Respect women"?


+1
G
Guest
seems like respect women falls under "stay woke" glad to see us becoming social justice warriors!
B
BroncoBot
After the bronco years and now this. Maybe ByU just needs to adopt a permanent slogan like "we must protect this house" and be done with it. Think Nike would go for that?
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Weird slogan...
G
Guest
BroncoBot wrote:

After the bronco years and now this. Maybe ByU just needs to adopt a permanent slogan like "we must protect this house" and be done with it. Think Nike would go for that?


Honor, Spirit, Tradition.



Loyal, Strong, True.



Take your pick.
I
imuakahuku
Is it real or photoshop?
J
Jarhead
All I know is that if this slogan goes on the gameday T-Shirt, I’ll be skipping the gameday shirt again. (I also passed on “reppin the y” and “always reppin”)
B
BoiseBYU
Stay woke is better than Avoid the Toke
Advertisement
G
Guest
I've seen it mentioned by different people who were in the locker room, but I've only seen the one picture. I think it's real, but I can't guarantee it.
G
Guest
woke.jpgIs this what BYU's helmets will look like this year?
D
Ddawg
BYU can do better. Like most slang, the meaning of "woke" changes depending on who's saying it, and to whom. Among black people talking about Ferguson, "stay woke" might mean something like: "stay conscious of the apparatus of white supremacy, don't automatically accept the official explanations for police violence, keep safe."
S
snoscythe
Ddawg wrote:

BYU can do better. Like most slang, the meaning of "woke" changes depending on who's saying it, and to whom. Among black people talking about Ferguson, "stay woke" might mean something like: "stay conscious of the apparatus of white supremacy, don't automatically accept the official explanations for police violence, keep safe."


It's the new YOLO.



YOLO started out as a modernization of the carpe diem sentiment of not letting opportunities pass you by.



That lasted about five months before it devolved into this:



https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/58/fe/1d58fe604667f756603f8682f0eefa7b.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Bingo. Spot on. A "swing and a miss." Perfect video.
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
It seems like whoever is in charge of branding at BYU is just trying to hard to be cool, which in the ends up being super lame.
D
Ddawg
Jarhead wrote:

It seems like whoever is in charge of branding at BYU is just trying to hard to be cool, which in the ends up being super lame.

I concur Dr.

Trying to be street cool should not be the goal of any University.
G
Gunk
Ddawg wrote:


It seems like whoever is in charge of branding at BYU is just trying to hard to be cool, which in the ends up being super lame.

I concur Dr.

Trying to be street cool should not be the goal of any University.


BYU does not have that kind of street cred. Plus, we're trying appear as a beacon of higher education, not some gangsta school.
S
Sammich
Gunk wrote:

BYU does not have that kind of street cred. Plus, we're trying appear as a beacon of higher education, not some gangsta school.

BYU in this situation (and any like it) is almost by definition the white kid in a shirt and a tie trying to convince the urban kids he can hang with them because he totally understands their life.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.