Archived Topic

Sitake shuffling bodies

by Fido · 3/27/2018

Advertisement
F
Fido
...

Well, shuffling bodies around to find out is something Sitake did the past few days. It’s a mission of discovery.



Receiver Beau Tanner has moved to play corner, quarterback/running back/receiver Austin Kafentzis requested to move to the other side, to safety; corner Dayan Ghanwoloku switched to safety; outside linebacker Chris Folau moved to middle linebacker; safety Zayne Anderson moved from safety to linebacker, and Sione Takitaki went from defensive end to linebacker.



“It’s all about getting the best 11 players on the field,” Sitake told reporters after Monday’s morning practice.



It’s something Sitake did a lot of when he was the defensive coordinator at Utah.



Moving Ghanwoloku to safety gave that spot more speed and opened up the door for Keenan Ellis, Trevion Greene and Chris Wilcox. Folau’s natural position is middle linebacker, and Anderson’s move from safety to linebacker has worked out better than they thought it would.



Sitake said BYU’s defense requires more speed on the field to execute what they’re trying to do. That’s another part of it. Kafentzis gives the secondary more speed and as Sitake put it, since he knows the offense, he can jump back if needed.



... You do whatever you can to get better, and it’s all about getting the best 11.”



...

To me, the offensive line appears to be a group that has made the biggest statement in spring, both emotionally and with physical play and attitude.



One of the more impressive performers on a consistent basis outside Bushman has been freshman redshirt Zach Katoa, who appears to be a complementary back to Squally Canada.

...

A year ago, running back coach Reno Mahe agreed with Sitake to hold out Katoa after his LDS mission service to Independence, Missouri, and give him a chance to get back in shape. Now, coach AJ Steward is taking advantage of that developmental period by making him the primary back.



And Katoa is delivering in spring training.

...

I’d say the top three [elements of this team that stand out] are the offensive line, Katoa, and energy and organization and pace of practices.
M
Mars
Watching the team last year, it was obvious that our offense had too many good playmakers, and we should move more of them over to defense.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:

Watching the team last year, it was obvious that our offense had too many good playmakers, and we should move more of them over to defense.


Am I supposed to find this funny?
M
Mars
BroncoBot wrote:


Watching the team last year, it was obvious that our offense had too many good playmakers, and we should move more of them over to defense.

Am I supposed to find this funny?

I mean, I can't force you to. At least not without your home address.
A
ABYUFAN
BroncoBot wrote:


Watching the team last year, it was obvious that our offense had too many good playmakers, and we should move more of them over to defense.


Am I supposed to find this funny?


FWIW I did... At first I thought that obviously the offense was overloaded with talent last year, that's why the team scored so much. Also it reminded me of an old "You know your team is in the WAC" papers that circulated in the 1980's. One of the ways to know that your team is in the WAC was "Your 5th team running back becomes your starting safety."
Advertisement
G
Gunk
BroncoBot wrote:


Watching the team last year, it was obvious that our offense had too many good playmakers, and we should move more of them over to defense.


Am I supposed to find this funny?

I got a good chuckle out of it.
B
BroncoBot
ABYUFAN wrote:


Mars wrote:

Watching the team last year, it was obvious that our offense had too many good playmakers, and we should move more of them over to defense.


Am I supposed to find this funny?


FWIW I did... At first I thought that obviously the offense was overloaded with talent last year, that's why the team scored so much. Also it reminded me of an old "You know your team is in the WAC" papers that circulated in the 1980's. One of the ways to know that your team is in the WAC was "Your 5th team running back becomes your starting safety."


It was indeed humorous.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.