Archived Topic

I'm wondering...

by EM_Puma · 3/21/2018

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I'm wondering if it is me having gotten older, or is it the long list of BYU FB disappointments we've had over the last few years that I just can't get into this Spring training hype. Coach speak just bores me to tears and hearing about how great this player or that player is falling on deaf ears because I've heard it before and then seen where it didn't actually come down as advertised.



My one son-in-law's father had really good season tickets for many years as he worked for BYU. Over the last decade he began to go to less and less games to where he's down to about one a year and sells the rest. I never understood that at all, but now I do. I'm just wondering if this is natural progression or it's just that there have been so many disappointments over these last few years.



I'll ALWAYS be a big fan, but with TV options on most FB/BB events, I've become a more passive participant. Ten years ago I wouldn't have believed that possible.
S
scott715
It is a sign of early dementia.



Just kidding.
B
BroncoBot
I think BYU is going to have a tough time drumming up any excitement after last year.

I bought season tickets last year thinking BYU had a chance at a great season.

Here's the years I've had tickets 2000 (at least lavell got a winning season), 2003-2006 and now 2018. I must be THE bad luck charm for BYU football. I've never seen BYU beat Utah at LES despite watching a good half dozen games there. It's been exhausting.
S
screamineagle2
EM_Puma wrote:

I'm wondering if it is me having gotten older, or is it the long list of BYU FB disappointments we've had over the last few years that I just can't get into this Spring training hype. Coach speak just bores me to tears and hearing about how great this player or that player is falling on deaf ears because I've heard it before and then seen where it didn't actually come down as advertised.



My one son-in-law's father had really good season tickets for many years as he worked for BYU. Over the last decade he began to go to less and less games to where he's down to about one a year and sells the rest. I never understood that at all, but now I do. I'm just wondering if this is natural progression or it's just that there have been so many disappointments over these last few years.



I'll ALWAYS be a big fan, but with TV options on most FB/BB events, I've become a more passive participant. Ten years ago I wouldn't have believed that possible.


I honestly think its a combination of both.I am in the same spot as you. I certainly dont get excited about the hype any longer and I no longer believe it. I used to go all the time to games and anticipate the next season the moment the previous was finished. I dont have cable so unless a game is on BYUTV I cant see them so this has also contributed to my losing interest. Multiply this by thousands of other fans just like us and there is a problem and I dont know if it is fixable.Winning would help.
G
Gunk
Aphathy is setting in...
Advertisement
B
BOID
We have just suffered one losing season. Still not as bad as Crowton’s three consecutive seasons of disaster. Bronco also gave us winning seasons every year, except his first, which was a split 6-6 regular season followed by a bowl loss.



I’m feeling optimistic that Grimes will produce winning seasons, and even an ongoing 50/50 split or better against the Utes. I don’t have as much confidence in Sitake, but as long as he doesn’t try to micro-manage Grimes, then I think BYU will be OK. Maybe not stellar, but will be respectable. Just get two consecutive wins over the Uties, and recruiting prowess will be back in a big way.



In the meantime, I will admit to also having lost some enthusiasm. Hard circumstances have conditioned me to anticipate and prepare for disappointment. I still tune in to the games, and will attend them if I’m in Utah, but I don’t get as worked up for them as I used to.
B
BOID
Or perhaps it was a 6-5 regular season followed by a bowl loss in 2005?
M
Mars
This was maybe the first year since 2003 that I didn't attend at least 1 basketball game. And football games aren't as much fun because my wife doesn't want to go to them anymore, not when she can watch them at home on TV.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:

This was maybe the first year since 2003 that I didn't attend at least 1 basketball game. And football games aren't as much fun because my wife doesn't want to go to them anymore, not when she can watch them at home on TV.


I enjoy watching the football games on TV in the CougarCorner Den. Better food (especially when Mars makes his jalapeño poppers) and better fans in attendance.
S
scott715
We just got tickets to the Arizona game. It is hard to get to Utah with my schedule at school. We went to the PSU game on our vacation before school started up. When to Houston for that game but it got moved on us. I guess I didn't miss much there.
Advertisement
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:


This was maybe the first year since 2003 that I didn't attend at least 1 basketball game. And football games aren't as much fun because my wife doesn't want to go to them anymore, not when she can watch them at home on TV.


I enjoy watching the football games on TV in the CougarCorner Den. Better food (especially when Mars makes his jalapeño poppers) and better fans in attendance.

The poppers aren't me! Schmoe maybe?
G
Guest
Mars wrote:


Mars wrote:

This was maybe the first year since 2003 that I didn't attend at least 1 basketball game. And football games aren't as much fun because my wife doesn't want to go to them anymore, not when she can watch them at home on TV.


I enjoy watching the football games on TV in the CougarCorner Den. Better food (especially when Mars makes his jalapeño poppers) and better fans in attendance.

The poppers aren't me! Schmoe maybe?


Schmoe made the poppers and they were amazing.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:


SpiffCoug wrote:


This was maybe the first year since 2003 that I didn't attend at least 1 basketball game. And football games aren't as much fun because my wife doesn't want to go to them anymore, not when she can watch them at home on TV.


I enjoy watching the football games on TV in the CougarCorner Den. Better food (especially when Mars makes his jalapeño poppers) and better fans in attendance.

The poppers aren't me! Schmoe maybe?


Schmoe made the poppers and they were amazing.


Bacon-wrapped?



Smoked, broiled, grilled, or baked?
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:


Mars wrote:


Mars wrote:

This was maybe the first year since 2003 that I didn't attend at least 1 basketball game. And football games aren't as much fun because my wife doesn't want to go to them anymore, not when she can watch them at home on TV.


I enjoy watching the football games on TV in the CougarCorner Den. Better food (especially when Mars makes his jalapeño poppers) and better fans in attendance.

The poppers aren't me! Schmoe maybe?


Schmoe made the poppers and they were amazing.


Bacon-wrapped?



Smoked, broiled, grilled, or baked?


I know he's done grilled and baked, he also used to smoke many things for us, but I don't remember if the poppers were ever one of them.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:


Mars wrote:

This was maybe the first year since 2003 that I didn't attend at least 1 basketball game. And football games aren't as much fun because my wife doesn't want to go to them anymore, not when she can watch them at home on TV.


I enjoy watching the football games on TV in the CougarCorner Den. Better food (especially when Mars makes his jalapeño poppers) and better fans in attendance.

The poppers aren't me! Schmoe maybe?

Well he's gone to Memphis. So you have five months to brush up on your popper skills!



OWN THOSE POPPERS!
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:


hawkwing wrote:


SpiffCoug wrote:


This was maybe the first year since 2003 that I didn't attend at least 1 basketball game. And football games aren't as much fun because my wife doesn't want to go to them anymore, not when she can watch them at home on TV.


I enjoy watching the football games on TV in the CougarCorner Den. Better food (especially when Mars makes his jalapeño poppers) and better fans in attendance.

The poppers aren't me! Schmoe maybe?


Schmoe made the poppers and they were amazing.


Bacon-wrapped?



Smoked, broiled, grilled, or baked?


I know he's done grilled and baked, he also used to smoke many things for us, but I don't remember if the poppers were ever one of them.


Puff puff pass, amirite?
B
Brayden Green
To the OP, I find that I care much less about a loss. It literally used to ruin my day/weekend. I ride the highs lower and the lows higher, and I personally see that as a good thing. I see it as part of my (hopefully) continual process of learning and growing as a person.
M
mtnradio
I think it is a function of age, perspective, the way the world in general is going, and there is a real loss of enthusiasm generally for BYU football ... last season stunk on ice, high hopes and promises were dashed in a vicious way ... changes were less than truly exciting ....
S
screamineagle2
I have spent some time thinking about the first question in this thread not Schmoes poppers although they are probably awesome.For me it runs a whole lot deeper than just BYU. It is college Football in general.All the conference jumping, realignment, loss of rivalries greed, Snubbing BYU for religious reasons and taking the school up north and the destruction of traditions that made it special.It is not special any more its actually kind of boring and mundane. They play an entire season so Alabama can be crowned national champions everyone else can play in some rinky dink bowl and that is why my apathy has set in.I dont know that BYU winning is going to change that for me at this stage in my life and it does make me kind of sad.
B
BOID
screamineagle2 wrote:

I have spent some time thinking about the first question in this thread not Schmoes poppers although they are probably awesome.For me it runs a whole lot deeper than just BYU. It is college Football in general.All the conference jumping, realignment, loss of rivalries greed, Snubbing BYU for religious reasons and taking the school up north and the destruction of traditions that made it special.It is not special any more its actually kind of boring and mundane. They play an entire season so Alabama can be crowned national champions everyone else can play in some rinky dink bowl and that is why my apathy has set in.I dont know that BYU winning is going to change that for me at this stage in my life and it does make me kind of sad.




I’ll ditto that. The entitlement scumbags of college football have morphed it into a kind of racketeering scheme.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.