Archived Topic

Utah basketball swept up in FBI probe

by Fido · 2/23/2018

Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
$9,500? I'd rather have a Jetta - but to each his own
G
Guest
ABYUFAN wrote:

$9,500? I'd rather have a Jetta - but to each his own


:lol: :lol: :lol:
E
EM_Puma
Fido wrote:

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html



Former Utah star Kyle Kuzma received at least $9,500 while in school, according to the documents.


I don't know what was going on, but as I clicked on that link above and started to read the article, suddenly I got some weird message and the computer wouldn't let me X out of the tab. I quickly shut down my computer and rebooted. I don't know if there was any correlation, but other than worksheets and an online accounting system we use, I had nothing else open.
G
Guest
EM_Puma wrote:


https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html



Former Utah star Kyle Kuzma received at least $9,500 while in school, according to the documents.


I don't know what was going on, but as I clicked on that link above and started to read the article, suddenly I got some weird message and the computer wouldn't let me X out of the tab. I quickly shut down my computer and rebooted. I don't know if there was any correlation, but other than worksheets and an online accounting system we use, I had nothing else open.


I read the article with no problem.
Advertisement
F
Fido
I get to that story without problem.



Anyhow, a summary is this:

Documents and bank records obtained in discovery during the federal investigation into the underbelly of college basketball detail in meticulous fashion the expenditures of prominent former NBA agent Andy Miller, his former associate Christian Dawkins and his agency, ASM Sports. They include expense reports and balance sheets that list cash advances, as well as entertainment and travel expenses for high school and college prospects and their families.

...

An ASM balance sheet in the hands of federal investigators shows accounts through Dec. 31, 2015, with the subheading, “Loan to Players.” It listed several who were in high school or college as receiving four-figure and five-figure payments from ASM Sports. Among the largest listed loans:

- Dennis Smith, North Carolina State

- Isaiah Whitehead, Seton Hall

- Tim Quarterman, LSU

- Diamond Stone, Maryland

- Bam Adebayo, Kentucky

- Markelle Fultz, Washington

...

In addition, Dawkins filed expense reports seeking reimbursement for thousands of dollars that he reported as being paid to college and high school players and their families. Several players, families of players or handlers received more than $1,000 in payments from ASM Sports before turning professional:

- Bennie Boatwright, USC and/or his father, Bennie Sr.

- Chimezie Metu, USC and/or adviser, Johnnie Parker.

- Eric Davis, Texas

- Brian Bowen, South Carolina/Louisville and his father, Brian Sr.

- Kyle Kuzma, Utah received at least $9,500 while in school, according to the documents.

- P.J. Dozier, South Carolina

- Edmond Sumner, Xavier and/or his father, Ernest

- Fred VanVleet, Wichita State

- Jaron Blossomgame, Clemson

- Apples Jones, the mother of former Kansas player Josh Jackson



Among those receiving hundreds of dollars in advances, according to Dawkins’ expense reports:

The mother of current Michigan State player Miles Bridges.



Among the players and/or families who are listed as meeting with or having meals with Dawkins:

Current Alabama player Collin Sexton.

Current Duke player Wendell Carter.

Current Kentucky player Kevin Knox.

Former North Carolina player Tony Bradley.

Former Creighton player Justin Patton.

Former Texas player Prince Ibeh.

Former Notre Dame player Demetrius Jackson.

Former Vanderbilt player Wade Baldwin.

Former Virginia player Malcolm Brogdon.

Former Iowa State player Monte Morris.
F
Fido
So it is fair to say that this was agents and sports agencies giving money and/or benefits to players and their families--not necessarily that the schools were involved or had knowledge.
A
ABYUFAN
Fido wrote:

So it is fair to say that this was agents and sports agencies giving money and/or benefits to players and their families--not necessarily that the schools were involved or had knowledge.


I don't see how the schools could possibly either know about this or police it
E
EM_Puma
It was interesting that Coach Krystkowiak said in KSL article:



"When the FBI investigation was first announced on Sept. 26, 2017, Krystkowiak told media a handler for Kuzma asked the school for money to sign the Flint, Michigan, native. Krystkowiak said the university refused the payment, but that he was aware of underground efforts to sway recruits."



So did he contact the NCAA about being approached by "a media handler" concerning Kuzma? Seems amazing that Kuzma still came to Utah regardless if he wasn't offered any money from "anyone" connected to the University or a booster. Something doesn't smell right about that explanation.
F
Fido
EM_Puma wrote:

It was interesting that Coach Krystkowiak said in KSL article:



"When the FBI investigation was first announced on Sept. 26, 2017, Krystkowiak told media a handler for Kuzma asked the school for money to sign the Flint, Michigan, native. Krystkowiak said the university refused the payment, but that he was aware of underground efforts to sway recruits."



So did he contact the NCAA about being approached by "a media handler" concerning Kuzma? Seems amazing that Kuzma still came to Utah regardless if he wasn't offered any money from "anyone" connected to the University or a booster. Something doesn't smell right about that explanation.


He also cancelled the trip to Provo for "safety" reasons. :roll:
Advertisement
G
Gunk
ABYUFAN wrote:


So it is fair to say that this was agents and sports agencies giving money and/or benefits to players and their families--not necessarily that the schools were involved or had knowledge.


I don't see how the schools could possibly either know about this or police it

Would be tough.



Regardless, a player on their team violated NCAA rules. While Utah or other schools may not necessarily be accountable for that, the players definitely are. As such, there should be repercussions. Players should be kicked off teams, perhaps excluded from NCAA sports, and definitely face any applicable criminal charges. Those consequences alone will affect teams and send a strong message to players. Get caught and you are out.
E
EM_Puma
Did anyone listen to Derik Stevenson on AM960 today? He talked of his experience when he went on his visit to U of Miami back in early 90's. Stated each of the 25 "official visitors" had their own case of beer on their bed in their hotel room. Derik was 17 at the time. He said there was a sheet of possible female escorts to choose from for the evening events and the most incredible--each had a fake ID that had been prepared stating they were 21. Seriously? How many laws were broken by the university just in those items?



This whole recruiting system has been corrupt for quite some time. I love it that the FBI has tons of recordings of actual conversations dealing with this. It's going to be tough for some to escape that kind of evidence.
B
BoiseBYU
Who knew UT players were so cheap?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.