Archived Topic

Utahns, how excited are you about Mitt Romney

by BroncoBot · 2/14/2018

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Let's move on from our good LDS friend Rob Porter. Obviously some strong feelings regarding the matter.



I think Mitt will win in a landslide for the Beehive State. And I think it might tip over the beehive at the same time. Well known LDS politician in a state with very strong pro and anti factions regarding the LDS faith. Has been pretty vocal about President Trump which will be a polarizing issue in and of itself in a time where politics has become downright toxic. How do you see this playing out?
S
scott715
For us outside of Utah, is he running for the senate?
S
snoscythe
I have to wait to see who the other options are before expressing an informed opinion overall.
D
Ddawg
Mitt would have been a "lights out" better option vs Obama in 2012. Today as a senator in Utah? As Snow said, I would have to wait and see who he is running against. If Mitt was running against a Mike Lee, I would vote for Mike Lee. It's good Orrin Hatch has chosen to retire. He's had a good run. I think Mitt will probably steamroll anyone who runs against him. Name recognition and money is huge. Obviously, it's not Mitt's 1st rodeo.
S
snoscythe
I will say this--his interest in the race was the final straw that drove Orrin Hatch to finally retire.



If nothing else happens, I'm glad he put his hat in the ring for that reason alone.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Not excited. Never was a big fan of his. What does he have going for him besides being LDS and charismatic? I'd rather have some young blood.
B
BroncoBot
byufan4ever wrote:

Not excited. Never was a big fan of his. What does he have going for him besides being LDS and charismatic? I'd rather have some young blood.

I've never though Mitt was particularly "charismatic". I think it's something that really hurt him in 08 and 12. He's easily cast as the boring, affluent white dude who doesn't understand people, and when you listen to him talk, it's easy to dismiss him as just that.
B
byufan4ever
He was a good businessman but has turned into what 99% of politicians are and will flip flop to get your vote.
D
Ddawg
byufan4ever wrote:

Not excited. Never was a big fan of his. What does he have going for him besides being LDS and charismatic? I'd rather have some young blood.

Great hair? Looks awesome.

8)
I
imuakahuku
The issue with Mitt is that he is establishment. He is a little more conservative than the Bush's but he is not even close to Reagan. My question is why is he running in Utah? Its a slam dunk easy election if you win the primary. He should be trying to take a blue seat from a blue state that was won by Trump or nearly won by Trump. Instead of squeaking out a traditionally blue seat he is just going to slide into a deep red seat. But that is the GOP, stupid to the last drop!

And he needs to stop with the never Trumpisms. Trump won get over it and now get behind him. If all you can complain about are his tweets then stop going on Twitter and help him move his agenda forward.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
I’m not a Republican and I am not from UT, so my views are pretty much irrelevant. But here goes. I admire Romney for standing up to Trump and his excesses. I admire him for being true to his conservative principles. I don’t always agree with them, but he is not a reed in the wind bending to and thro. I admire Romney calling out Russia before pretty much before anyone else saw the threat that Russia is. I admire Romney’s devotion to his wife, faith, and family. We don’t see that much in today’s leaders. I admire Romney for taking on Roy Moore and his despicable behavior. I think Romney has a chance to move a conservative agenda forward, building coalitions, that addresses immigration, trade, and foreign policy. I worry he is too establishment entrenched to understand and be capable of addressing the problems confronting the working families of America, but if I had a vote, I think I’d give him a chance to show what he could do.
N
nuk13
imuakahuku wrote:

The issue with Mitt is that he is establishment. He is a little more conservative than the Bush's but he is not even close to Reagan. My question is why is he running in Utah? Its a slam dunk easy election if you win the primary. He should be trying to take a blue seat from a blue state that was won by Trump or nearly won by Trump. Instead of squeaking out a traditionally blue seat he is just going to slide into a deep red seat. But that is the GOP, stupid to the last drop!

And he needs to stop with the never Trumpisms. Trump won get over it and now get behind him. If all you can complain about are his tweets then stop going on Twitter and help him move his agenda forward.


There is an old saying, "You took the words out of my mouth." When Romney started bad mouthing Mr. Trump he lost me. Why does Romney really want to run for the senate? I would not vote for him.
B
byufan4ever
Look into his time at MA and then when running for president. Two totally different people with different principles.
G
Guest
I love Romney, he is a perfect example of who should be leading the nation and the GOP. There's a reason people with integrity rarely get into politics so when does it's important to support them.
B
BroncoBot
byufan4ever wrote:

Look into his time at MA and then when running for president. Two totally different people with different principles.


Is this a good, or bad thing?
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
There is good and bad to Romney. His 2006 Massachussets health care law was the model for ObamaCare.

Romney's health care plan included an individual mandate.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44854320/ns/politics-decision_2012/t/white-house-used-mitt-romney-health-care-law-blueprint-federal-law/#.WofoMWaZPOQ



In 2004 Romney signed a law that banned assault weapons.

http://www.businessinsider.com/romney-bans-assault-weapons-2012-7



Is Romney a true Conservative? Not really. Romney is more of a globalist RINO type.. I supported and voted for Mitt in 2012. But he's a pretty squishy GOP guy.
M
Mars
Good health care and good gun laws aren't bad goals to strive for. America has a long way to go in both.
D
Ddawg
Mars wrote:

Good health care and good gun laws aren't bad goals to strive for. America has a long way to go in both.

So you supported ObamaCare and the individual mandate with all the penalties and fines then. Obama and his minions used RomneyCare as their blueprint. You're a socialist now?
B
BoiseBYU
Ddawg wrote:


Good health care and good gun laws aren't bad goals to strive for. America has a long way to go in both.

So you supported ObamaCare and the individual mandate with all the penalties and fines then. Obama and his minions used RomneyCare as their blueprint. You're a socialist now?


I have a dream—that one day we can have a civil discussion on this board without you descending to name calling. It is toxic.
D
Ddawg
BoiseBYU wrote:


Mars wrote:

Good health care and good gun laws aren't bad goals to strive for. America has a long way to go in both.

So you supported ObamaCare and the individual mandate with all the penalties and fines then. Obama and his minions used RomneyCare as their blueprint. You're a socialist now?


I have a dream—that one day we can have a civil discussion on this board without you descending to name calling. It is toxic.

Being a socialist is toxic. Agree. Look at Venezuela. Look at Greece. If you support ObamaCare, which is state forced purchasing of healthcare, with penalties and fines affixed - that is socialist.



Pretty straight forward. Either you are a socialist and support the full weight and power of the govt. forcing people to comply, or the govt. uses it's power to penalize. Direct and straight forward. I do not support forced govt. healthcare as ObamaCare was and RomneyCare is.
Page 1 of 5
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.