Archived Topic

BYU - Pacific

by hawkwing · 1/28/2018

Advertisement
G
Guest
BYU came out pretty flat, but kept things close enough until pulling away late in the 2nd half and winning comfortably.
V
vancouvercougar
Getting the Pacific big men get 4 fouls each opened the game up for BYU. I don't know if the flagrant 2 on pacific was really a flagrant 2 but it was definitely a foul. TJ was hurting.
F
frdbtr
Sloppy game. Sloppy passing, sloppy rebounding, but they were able to hold it together to get the win. Pacific plays tough physical basketball and BYU doesn't seem to like to play that way. That needs to change.
G
Gunk
Was worried in the beginning. Dastrup lite a fire for the team. That guy deserves more playing time.



Agree, we need to play tougher. Took too long for Childs to get fired up.



I will say this, Pacific is going to be tough to beat next year.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:

Was worried in the beginning. Dastrup lite a fire for the team. That guy deserves more playing time.



Agree, we need to play tougher. Took too long for Childs to get fired up.



I will say this, Pacific is going to be tough to beat next year.


Did dastrup even see the floor vs SMC?
Advertisement
G
Gunk
BroncoBot wrote:


Was worried in the beginning. Dastrup lite a fire for the team. That guy deserves more playing time.



Agree, we need to play tougher. Took too long for Childs to get fired up.



I will say this, Pacific is going to be tough to beat next year.


Did dastrup even see the floor vs SMC?


Just 4 min.



IMO, he should be getting more of Selijas' minutes.
N
nuk13
Gunk wrote:


Gunk wrote:

Was worried in the beginning. Dastrup lite a fire for the team. That guy deserves more playing time.



Agree, we need to play tougher. Took too long for Childs to get fired up.



I will say this, Pacific is going to be tough to beat next year.


Did dastrup even see the floor vs SMC?


Just 4 min.



IMO, he should be getting more of Selijas' minutes.


Our opinion. I would add Worthington as well. Nothing against Selijas but I think those 2 often make the team better. They especially need them against Landale of SMC.
S
scott715
Dastrup hit a 3 in his short pt.
S
scott715
We scored 80 on a late 3,
Advertisement
B
BOID
vancouvercougar wrote:

Getting the Pacific big men get 4 fouls each opened the game up for BYU. I don't know if the flagrant 2 on pacific was really a flagrant 2 but it was definitely a foul. TJ was hurting.


I think the flagrant 2, and ejection were deserved. If it was an inadvertent move by Gallinat, he could have let his arm go limp and tried to wriggle it back from TJ’s crotch. But no, this guy stiffens his arm and drives TJ back, keeping him from getting his feet under him, carrying him with that arm. It was outrageous, and ejection was the proper judgement on it.



It’s also interesting that this was the same guy that sub’d in illegally to shoot the free-throw for another Pacific player who has a poor free-throw completion record. It was late in the 2nd, with a 6 point deficit for them, and the free-throws were critical. Guess who has the best FT percentage for the Tigers? Gallinat was nowhere near the spot of the foul that was called. The officials didn’t notice that the wrong dude was at the FT line, until Gallinat had swished the first of a one and one, and Dave Rose had called for a technical foul for the dishonesty of it. Although the FT point was erased, and the correct player was allowed to miss the front end of the one and one, they completely let Gallinat off for that bit of cheating, and just perhaps were therefore less lenient when it later came to the flagrant (and dangerous) foul that he did to Haws.



Sorry to belabor much, but I thought these were some of the most amusing/interesting moments of the game.
B
BOID
Spelling correction: The player’s name is Gallinat. I had initially remembered him incorrectly as Galatan, so made corrections.
G
Guest
BOID wrote:

Spelling correction: The player’s name is Gallinat. I had initially remembered him incorrectly as Galatan, so made corrections.


Gallinataan robbers, right?
G
Gunk
Pacific wants to win. They clearly played hard and fought. I think the culture could be spilling over to win-at-all costs with Gallinat and Tripp.



Tripp was fouled but he never made any movement towards the foul line. When was the last time you saw a player get fouled in a bonus situation and not go to the line.



Pacific had a mini huddle before the free throws, and for whatever reason Gallinat is the one that waltzes over to the line as if he was the one that got fouled. Looks fishy.
B
BlueK
Gunk wrote:

Pacific wants to win. They clearly played hard and fought. I think the culture could be spilling over to win-at-all costs with Gallinat and Tripp.



Tripp was fouled but he never made any movement towards the foul line. When was the last time you saw a player get fouled in a bonus situation and not go to the line.



Pacific had a mini huddle before the free throws, and for whatever reason Gallinat is the one that waltzes over to the line as if he was the one that got fouled. Looks fishy.


That was the first time I ever remember seeing a player who wasn't fouled or even close to the foul walk over and actually take the free throw, and then have the refs stop it and take the point off the board, then re-shoot the free throw with the correct player. Coach Rose was shouting that there should have been a technical foul called on them for that, but I've never seen that done before either. Really weird.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
Pacific probably gets away with the free throw switcheroo if the game is at Pacific, or anywhere else in the WCC other than Provo or Spokane.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.