Archived Topic

Welcome to new coach Fesi Sitake

by hawkwing · 12/27/2017

Advertisement
G
Guest
Quote by Kalani:



“Fesi is one of the game’s up-and-coming young coordinators. He has done a great job with his opportunities to build a strong resume and improved his team wherever he has been. He is an excellent recruiter and excels as a mentor to his players. I’m excited to have him come to BYU and help teach the young men in our program."
A
ABYUFAN
Fingers crossed
F
frdbtr
I'm crossing my fingers on this whole thing. I hope they get things changed and fix the culture that was there, if not, I want them all gone after next season.
M
mtnradio
This is a hire that makes me say :skeptic: hmmmm.



It is too bad that I now find myself questioning his hiring ... he has a good history, and probably is a good coach ... but he's being hired by his cousin. So I'm left hoping it will work out, but fearing because it sure doesn't feel like Grimes has been given full control of the offense, and right now that worries me. I will be a happy man if my fears are proven to be just fears and lack of confidence. Please! Restore my confidence!
Advertisement
B
BOID
I second this.



Was impressed with the Grimes hire. Not impressed with Sitake, or with him choosing the offensive assistant staff for Grimes.



If anyone knows differently, please tell. I’d love to be wrong on this.
B
BOID
Clarification: Pugh is apparently a Jeff Grimes selection. But I doubt that Roderick and the cousin are.
C
CrimsonCoug
Exactly. And I'm really surprised that Grimes would agree to come into such a risky situation without demanding full hiring control.
S
scott715
I hope KS just gave Grimes some suggestions on coaches and then let Grimes pick them. Fesi could be a good pickup.
E
EM_Puma
scott715 wrote:

I hope KS just gave Grimes some suggestions on coaches and then let Grimes pick them. Fesi could be a good pickup.


I wouldn't know that answer to this, but it is the exact question that I was wondering about the hires. So far as I have noted, it sounds like Grimes was given latitude to hire his own, but I'm sure that Sitake let him know his feelings about possibilities. Honestly, I can't see Grimes leaving his old position to land in this one where he didn't have the ability to make the final decision on who worked for him.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I'm not sure that Grimes actually had any latitude in hiring anyone beyond Pugh. It could be, but we'll never know now for sure.



As for Fesi, he's probably the most exciting hire right now, besides Grimes, and even that will be an uphill battle of nepotism charges, especially if things go poorly. I don't envy his position.
S
SpiffCoug
Regardless of how much input Grimes had, he is being surrounded by much more experienced and qualified assistants than Detmer.



Detmer and those assistants were set up for failure. They simply weren't not good or experienced enough to be put together on the same staff at the same time.



Grimes now has one inexperienced coach (Pugh). But Grimes will be mentor him. It's the position he just coached and he's worked with Pugh previously. He has two other very experienced coaches as well.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.