Archived Topic

Gonzaga vs ND (north dakota)

by BroncoBot · 12/17/2017

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Gonzaga is beatable. ND had them on the ropes and fell apart. I'll be disappointed if BYU doesn't at least split the series this season.
B
BroncoBot
And San diego state is taking it to #12 Gonzaga.

I'm tellin' ya. Gonzaga isn't a #12 team, or they haven't got it figured out yet. They just seem much more beatable this year.
B
BroncoBot
Just saw the final score. Zags lose by 2.
F
frdbtr
BYU is playing good enough defense this year to be competitive with anyone in the conference including Gonzaga and St Mary's.
G
Gunk
Sweeping both Gonzaga and SMC this year is a possibility.



Gonzaga has a turnover problem. In the last 5 games they've averaged around 16 turnovers a game. That's not good. Unfortunately, we play them towards the end of the season, so their ball security issues will likely be resolved. So far on the season, the Zags have 183 turnovers (14/game). We're at 151 (13/game). Overall, we're doing a better job of securing the ball than Gonzaga. That bodes well.



Looking a little deeper, Gonzaga's ball security problems are primarily with PG Josh Perkins. He has 39 TOs on the season. Gonzaga forward, Jonathan Williams is at 37 TOs. Combined, Perkins and Williams account for 40% of Gonzaga's TOs. If I am Rose, I pressure those two to no end. Hardnett will give Perkins fits.



Gonzaga is giving up more points than we are (say what!?). That also bodes well for us.



SMC is almost dead even with us statistically, to the point where we've even attempted the same exact number of three-pointers (SMC has made 5 more than us). They don't cough the ball up. They're at only 103 TOs on the season. They don't steal the ball much either, though, just overall ball security and defense. I worry more about SMC than Gonzaga. SMC seems much more steady of a team than Gonzaga whereas Gonzaga is susceptible to mood swings.
Advertisement
M
Mars
What crappy team sweeps us every year (or at least beats us in Provo)? Pepperdine?



I'm worried about going 2-0 against San Diego as well. Not nearly as bad as the WCC bottom this year.
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:

What crappy team sweeps us every year (or at least beats us in Provo)? Pepperdine?



I'm worried about going 2-0 against San Diego as well. Not nearly as bad as the WCC bottom this year.


This team doesn't look like the ones that drop head scratcher games.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:

What crappy team sweeps us every year (or at least beats us in Provo)? Pepperdine?



I'm worried about going 2-0 against San Diego as well. Not nearly as bad as the WCC bottom this year.


pepperdine is correct.
N
nuk13
I don't mean to offend but I would prefer the term "less powerful". Of course we need to take care of business against all the teams. Our team has let some of these less powerful teams put us in a difficult position when it comes to the post season. Put another way, we need to be more consistent in our conference play. This team has given me hope that they will be more consistent than past teams. Perhaps we'll learn some things this week end.
B
BroncoBot
nuk13 wrote:

I don't mean to offend but I would prefer the term "less powerful". Of course we need to take care of business against all the teams.


I for one, am offended.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.