Archived Topic

Report: Grimes New OC

by BoiseBYU · 12/14/2017

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Welcome back.
M
Mars
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge



He has never been OC, but his OL coaching ability is very high, and he has also helped coach some amazing RBs at LSU over the past 4 years.



He was reportedly offered the position of OL coach at BYU two years ago, but BYU couldn't match his $550,000 salary.
G
Guest
I really like the hire. Grimes is a tough, hard nosed coach. He won't allow the rest of the coaching staff to let their kids party all day long and skip practices.
F
frdbtr
Wow, I hope this is true. If it is, the offense will not look like a bunch of pansies out there anymore. Now all we need to do is get the defense to play tough too.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Now all we need to do is to get rid of the running back coach, the WR coach and keep Ty Detmer as the QB coach. My assumption is that he will be in charge of the Oline so that leaves Empey without a job.
B
BroncoBot
Man, is this a done deal? if it is, what a great hire. I think it will go well with what Ty was trying to do. I'm hoping the two of them can help each other and get the offense really moving again.
M
Mars
Sounds like Empey and Clark will stay on as OL and TE coaches. Detmer is gone. QB and WRs will likely be filled from the pool of Paul Peterson, Roderick, Fesi Sitake. Mahe/RBs remain a question mark.



Could be very good!
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
BYU can't even get a press release out in a timely fashion.
J
Jarhead
Well it's on the BYU Football official twitter now, so looks like it's the real deal.
Y
YNot
I'm optimistic about this hire. Oline is where we lose the most from graduating players, but have some promising recruits and transfers. Grimes could make a big difference there in helping the replacements step up and fill the void.



Grimes has extensive P5 experience. He's been on coaching staffs and in locker rooms for top-25 teams. I'm interested to see how the rest of the offensive coaching staff fills out. Rumors are that Roderick and Peterson will land position coaching spots. Extensive play calling and position coaching experience. Not bad.
M
mormonrasta
I'm so excited about this hire. They guy has worked at the top levels, has experience recruiting at BYU, not LDS so he connect with a broader range of recruits in different ways.



I'm shocked we could get a guy like this given the current state of the program.
A
ABYUFAN
Maybe he can pull Tuiaki aside and explain how he destroyed our defense with only bout 10% of his running plays last year
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
ABYUFAN wrote:

Maybe he can pull Tuiaki aside and explain how he destroyed our defense with only bout 10% of his running plays last year


:lol:
S
snoscythe
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2393832998/Banner_reggae_400x400.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CrimsonCoug
Love it. I hoped we'd reach out to Grimes, but didn't think we had a realistic shot.



He has as much experience and exposure to other great staffs as could have possibly been hoped and still stayed within Sitake's theme of hiring people into positions in which they have zero experience.



Grimes is hard nosed enough that keeping nice-guy-Ty would still be a positive. I doubt Detmer stays, though. Sounded like he's settling down back at the ranch.
S
scott715
Grimes will not be here that long. Ty needs to stay as QB coach and learn from Grimes and then replace him. He needs this learning experience for his future. If Grimes does not want him on staff, he can stay as a consultant and learn.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.