G
GuestArchived Topic
Zadock Dinkleman decommits
by hawkwing · 12/5/2017
Advertisement
T
tmoney35Just please don't go to Utah...please!
C
Cougs_RuleInteresting timing. Think it has anything to do with Ty being relieved of duty? The last straw for him? Why didnât he decommit sooner?
S
SpiffCougCougs_Rule wrote:
Interesting timing. Think it has anything to do with Ty being relieved of duty? The last straw for him? Why didnât he decommit sooner?
Obviously related. Uncle gets fired. You decommit.
B
BroncoBotSpiffCoug wrote:
Interesting timing. Think it has anything to do with Ty being relieved of duty? The last straw for him? Why didnât he decommit sooner?
Obviously related. Uncle gets fired. You decommit.
What a cluster.
Advertisement
G
GuestI wonder if this means Ty will not stay on as QB coach, or if that's reading too much into it.
S
snoscythehawkwing wrote:
I wonder if this means Ty will not stay on as QB coach, or if that's reading too much into it.
I just think it means BYU's glacial pace of hiring football coaches is hurting it again.
It's been a week and a day since the Ty announcement was made public, and BYU and Ty knew about it two days prior to the press release. So other teams have had 8 days to woo our verbal commits, when BYU has no answer to give them. Hard to believe that BYU didn't have a short enough list of candidates to make a hire within a few days after notifying Ty. Poor, poor planning. This is worse than the molasses pace of replacing Bronco's staff, because Bronco chose to leave. BYU chose to dump Ty, so they had plenty of time to get a succession plan in place even before they pulled that trigger.
I don't blame a kid for looking elsewhere when the guy recruiting him can't even tell him if he'll be around next week and other schools are asking him to come on a fun recruiting trip to a fun college town.
Add to that the uncle-in-limbo factor, and I have nothing against the kid opening things back up. If BYU doesn't have a plan for the future, why should he plan to put his future in their hands?
F
frdbtrWhat does it matter who the offensive coordinator is. I thought Kalani was the master recruiter. :whistle:
B
BroncoBotsnoscythe wrote:
I wonder if this means Ty will not stay on as QB coach, or if that's reading too much into it.
I just think it means BYU's glacial pace of hiring football coaches is hurting it again.
It's been a week and a day since the Ty announcement was made public, and BYU and Ty knew about it two days prior to the press release. So other teams have had 8 days to woo our verbal commits, when BYU has no answer to give them. Hard to believe that BYU didn't have a short enough list of candidates to make a hire within a few days after notifying Ty. Poor, poor planning. This is worse than the molasses pace of replacing Bronco's staff, because Bronco chose to leave. BYU chose to dump Ty, so they had plenty of time to get a succession plan in place even before they pulled that trigger.
I don't blame a kid for looking elsewhere when the guy recruiting him can't even tell him if he'll be around next week and other schools are asking him to come on a fun recruiting trip to a fun college town.
Add to that the uncle-in-limbo factor, and I have nothing against the kid opening things back up. If BYU doesn't have a plan for the future, why should he plan to put his future in their hands?
Exactly. Hard to blame dinkleman given the sad state of affairs that is BYU football.
Did BYU tank this year? Did they sabotage the season to get rid of Ty? I know I've got my tinfoil 🎩 on right now, but the way the season went and the lack of fruatration that was noted, it was either gross incompetence or there was an element of giving up, fixing a few things and make a go of it next year. If the coaches took on a "nothing left to play for approach/attitude after the firsr half of the season I want them all gone asap.
B
BroncoBotfrdbtr wrote:
What does it matter who the offensive coordinator is. I thought Kalani was the master recruiter. :whistle:
I've never seen this many recruits jump shipbor decommit. There was always a handful, but never like this year. I'll always be a BYU fan, but if I was being recruited, I'd have a hard time commiting to BYu and turning down obvious better teams after this year.
Advertisement
D
DdawgBroncoBot wrote:
I've never seen this many recruits jump shipbor decommit. There was always a handful, but never like this year. I'll always be a BYU fan, but if I was being recruited, I'd have a hard time commiting to BYu and turning down obvious better teams after this year.
It's no secret BYU football is a mess. The current situation of the team and the coaching staff all starts at the top. All paths lead to Tom Holmoe. They won't do it, but Holmoe should be shown the door.
B
BOIDI think Sitake should be shown the door before Holmoe. I canât imagine TH being behind the firing of Detmer. No insider info to offer here, but I believe that THâs only contribution to that would have been acquiescence to Sitakeâs demands, or likely ultimatum to replace Ty.
It seems to me that Holmoe has worked very hard to advance BYUâs prospects. Even in respect to the tough schedule, I do not fault him. BYU has normally been strong enough, skilled enough to take a good fight to any team, and so TH should not have known before hand, of this seasonâs disastrous developments.
Regarding Detmerâs BYU deal, IIRC, he was guaranteed a number of years in the job. Does that mean a huge buy-out, or might it have included conditions, such as willingness to continue on staff in other capacities? If a new OC does not want to retain him, then I expect a big termination pay package. Meanwhile, Detmerâs public announcement says he âwill always be a Cougar,â but does not hint about desires to stay as position coach, or to leave. That must still be undetermined, or Dinklemann would not have decommitted.
Much hemorrhage/damage could have been averted if the transition had been completed prior to opening a huge hole in BYUâs hull.
It seems to me that Holmoe has worked very hard to advance BYUâs prospects. Even in respect to the tough schedule, I do not fault him. BYU has normally been strong enough, skilled enough to take a good fight to any team, and so TH should not have known before hand, of this seasonâs disastrous developments.
Regarding Detmerâs BYU deal, IIRC, he was guaranteed a number of years in the job. Does that mean a huge buy-out, or might it have included conditions, such as willingness to continue on staff in other capacities? If a new OC does not want to retain him, then I expect a big termination pay package. Meanwhile, Detmerâs public announcement says he âwill always be a Cougar,â but does not hint about desires to stay as position coach, or to leave. That must still be undetermined, or Dinklemann would not have decommitted.
Much hemorrhage/damage could have been averted if the transition had been completed prior to opening a huge hole in BYUâs hull.
F
frdbtrI think Kalani should be fired right now and a real HC hired. Since that won't happen, I want to see the house cleaned(including the AD) next year after a similar 2018 season.
G
GunkIf the ship isn't righted next year, Tom and Kalani need to go.
A
ABYUFANGunk wrote:
If the ship isn't righted next year, Tom and Kalani need to go.
I see many people with this sentiment, but I'm not sure I can tell where Tom has done something worthy of firing... was he supposed to NOT hire Sitake? Was he supposed to step in the middle of this year's dumpster fire and meddle in a coaching staff in the middle of the season? I don't get the Holmoe hate (other than it being a sign that we as a fan base are super duper mad and are ready to burn every suspected witch - real or not.)
Advertisement
M
MarsA WR has also dropped from a commit to a Soft commit this week.
G
GuestMars wrote:
A WR has also dropped from a commit to a Soft commit this week.
A soft WR? Sounds like he fits right into Cahoon's system.
S
scott715Gunner Romney. It would help to know who will be OC and his assistants.
G
GunkABYUFAN wrote:
If the ship isn't righted next year, Tom and Kalani need to go.
I see many people with this sentiment, but I'm not sure I can tell where Tom has done something worthy of firing... was he supposed to NOT hire Sitake? Was he supposed to step in the middle of this year's dumpster fire and meddle in a coaching staff in the middle of the season? I don't get the Holmoe hate (other than it being a sign that we as a fan base are super duper mad and are ready to burn every suspected witch - real or not.)
If a VP at a company starts hurting the performance of a product line it's on the CEO to fix it. You're right, BYU football was a dumpster fire, one that Holmoe started.
Holmoe hired Kalani. Holmoe hired Detmer. Holmoe allowed this entire staff to be hired and when the dumpster fire raged Holmoe did nothing. I don't see how you could not blame Holmoe.
F
frdbtrABYUFAN wrote:
If the ship isn't righted next year, Tom and Kalani need to go.
I see many people with this sentiment, but I'm not sure I can tell where Tom has done something worthy of firing... was he supposed to NOT hire Sitake? Was he supposed to step in the middle of this year's dumpster fire and meddle in a coaching staff in the middle of the season? I don't get the Holmoe hate (other than it being a sign that we as a fan base are super duper mad and are ready to burn every suspected witch - real or not.)
2 years ago when Bronco left, there was only one guy who had a shot at becoming the HC even thought multiple candidates expressed interest. 2 candidates that IMO were as qualified and had shown better results that Sitake commented that BYU had their sights set on someone else as to why they weren't given a shot. This is why I want at least a serious review of Tom Holmoe's Job if we don't make a bowl game next year. I hate buddy hires. BYU should hire the best guy for the job regardless of whether this person was a BYU player or whatever in the past. IMO from what I have read, that was not the case 2 years ago.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

