Archived Topic

McKay Cannon

by tmoney35 · 11/30/2017

Advertisement
T
tmoney35
I missed the story on this kid. Who is he? Why was last night the first time I've seen him play?



In any case, 6:1 assist/turnover ratio is something I can definitely get behind if he keeps it up
G
Guest
tmoney35 wrote:

I missed the story on this kid. Who is he? Why was last night the first time I've seen him play?



In any case, 6:1 assist/turnover ratio is something I can definitely get behind if he keeps it up


Played at Weber State for 2 years. Lost his starting spot and decided to walk-on at BYU. Just got cleared through waivers to play yesterday afternoon. Literally just hours before the game against UVU.



Played incredibly well.
B
byufan4ever
See these articles:



https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865693486/BYU-mens-basketball-Cannon-makes-huge-contribution-hours-after-hes-deemed-eligible-to-play.html

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2017/11/29/16717674/byu-basketball-weber-state-transfer-mckay-cannon-eligible-to-play-immediately



He is a Weber St. transfer that only just received the NCAA waiver that he could play this season just hours before the UVU game. I've never watched him before last night so I had to look him up too.


The 6-foot guard started 33 of 35 games as a freshman and seven to start his sophomore year before losing the starting job and seeing his minutes decline.



Cannon averaged 4.1 points and 2.2 assists per game in 67 games at Weber State, shooting 38 percent from the field and 35 percent from the 3-point line.



He scored 10 points and dished five assists in an NCAA Tournament loss to Xavier in 2016.


He didn't exactly light it up at Weber St. and lost his starting position, but if he can play like last night (assists and 3 pointers!) then I'm glad to have him on the bench.
N
nuk13
Wow, did he light it up last night!
B
BroncoBot
nuk13 wrote:

Wow, did he light it up last night!


I don't know that I'd say he "lit it up" but he was in control, exploited the defense when given the chance and made nearly everything that he chucked up (if memory serves me correct, he made 100 fg% and ft%). He's a chase Fisher type player (that's not meant as an insult) without the shoot first mentality. It's refreshing to have someone like him on the team.
Advertisement
S
selway
He started 41 games at Weber and the reason he was granted a release and allowed to play this year without sitting out is the coaches there basically told him he likely would not continue to start the next two years and signed off on his transfer. Matters not he is a team player and in my opinion better than the two lone peak three we have in the program. What the heck is the matter with Haws shooting at a 30% clip can't wait for Conner Harding to replace him next year and continue his game with Yoeli Childs. after a two year absence. Harding as some might remember was an ESPN top 100 4* who is a terrific defender and actually has a body.
T
tmoney35
selway wrote:
Harding as some might remember was an ESPN top 100 4* who is a terrific defender and actually has a body.


I feel like I've become jaded with "ESPN top 100" players. Seems like we've been getting quite a few top 100 players the past couple years, yet the days when I was confident in us making the tournament every year seem like a distant memory
G
Gunk
I have not been impressed with the LP3.



Sounds like Cannon could be pretty good. I look forward to watching him play.
M
Mars
Haws seems like our 5th-best player most nights.
S
snoscythe
Sad state of affairs when a Weber State cast-off is a difference-maker for BYU.



3rd place in the WCC year-after-year sounds like over-achieving sometimes.
Advertisement
B
BlueK
snoscythe wrote:

Sad state of affairs when a Weber State cast-off is a difference-maker for BYU.



3rd place in the WCC year-after-year sounds like over-achieving sometimes.


It's always possible to find a negative in something positive if you try hard enough, I guess.
S
snoscythe
BlueK wrote:


Sad state of affairs when a Weber State cast-off is a difference-maker for BYU.



3rd place in the WCC year-after-year sounds like over-achieving sometimes.


It's always possible to find a negative in something positive if you try hard enough, I guess.


The fact that Cannon could be such a positive is a negative commentary on the state of the program.
B
BlueK
snoscythe wrote:


snoscythe wrote:

Sad state of affairs when a Weber State cast-off is a difference-maker for BYU.



3rd place in the WCC year-after-year sounds like over-achieving sometimes.


It's always possible to find a negative in something positive if you try hard enough, I guess.


The fact that Cannon could be such a positive is a negative commentary on the state of the program.


The only program being made to look bad right now is Weber State. BYU's path to the tournament is right in front of them and looks more than achievable. Just beat the teams they should and the rpi and record will be where it needs to be. Sure, beat SMC or Gonzaga at home probably needs to be part of it, but heck, we even beat the Zags at their place last year, so beating those guys at home when neither seems to be as good as last year is not out of the question by any means. The level of play of the team so far is visibly quite different than last year already.
B
BlueK
tmoney35 wrote:

Harding as some might remember was an ESPN top 100 4* who is a terrific defender and actually has a body.


I feel like I've become jaded with "ESPN top 100" players. Seems like we've been getting quite a few top 100 players the past couple years, yet the days when I was confident in us making the tournament every year seem like a distant memory


how many have actually even played that much for us yet?



Mika we had for 2 years. Seemed to be pretty good but left early.



Haws is early in his second year. Has had his moments, was all-conference as a freshman just off a mission. He's struggled in the last few games for sure, but it's still too early to write him off. I think he's salvageable.



Emery played two years, more than lived up to it as freshman, had personal issues last year we didn't know about and fell back.



Childs has more than lived up to his lower top 100 ranking



Dastrup, yeah, not yet, but has shown signs of improvement this year. Was actually instrumental in the comeback win against UMass. I think the closing 5-6 minutes of that game stand out as one of the most important stretches of the season because of the shot of confidence it gave. We've been pretty darn good ever since.



The rest haven't played yet. Oh yeah, maybe LJ Rose counts, but because of constant injury trouble, he never panned out long before he came to us.
E
EM_Puma
My take on Cannon is I'm glad he's there to fill in the vacuum created by the unplanned departure of Emery. I don't know that anyone was expecting what we have seen in the 2 games he's played for the Cougars. Dang it's nice to find a positive surprise around here these days.
Advertisement
B
BlueK
EM_Puma wrote:

My take on Cannon is I'm glad he's there to fill in the vacuum created by the unplanned departure of Emery. I don't know that anyone was expecting what we have seen in the 2 games he's played for the Cougars. Dang it's nice to find a positive surprise around here these days.


Getting very solid performances from a surprise backup point guard is a positive however you look at it. Also, it's not like football where the entire season is going nowhere and a QB deep on the bench lat in the season gets to play and does pretty well. That DOES speak to the problems of that team. This is completely different. Like you said, Cannon is only stepping in to fill a void created by a last minute surprise of Emery leaving the team. If Emery played the last two games the way Cannon has, we would be pleased but not really surprised.
G
Gunk
Maybe being let go by Weber was the motivation Cannon needed to go up a notch. Maybe Weber was really dumb. I certainly attacked my job a whole lot differently and better after I was laid off. I've also performed differently/better within different work environments, so I don't see why Cannon coming on board and doing well is unfathomable.



Either way, Cannon is playing solid hoops and he's doing it in a BYU uniform.



If he was a "cast away" from Weber and wasn't performing like many past transfers, then I'd get the negativity. Right now, it looks like a good get.
S
Sammich
Gunk wrote:

Maybe being let go by Weber was the motivation Cannon needed to go up a notch. Maybe Weber was really dumb. I certainly attacked my job a whole lot differently and better after I was laid off. I've also performed differently/better within different work environments, so I don't see why Cannon coming on board and doing well is unfathomable.



Either way, Cannon is playing solid hoops and he's doing it in a BYU uniform.



If he was a "cast away" from Weber and wasn't performing like many past transfers, then I'd get the negativity. Right now, it looks like a good get.

Not to mention that some systems take better advantage of certain player's strengths than others.
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:


snoscythe wrote:

Sad state of affairs when a Weber State cast-off is a difference-maker for BYU.



3rd place in the WCC year-after-year sounds like over-achieving sometimes.


It's always possible to find a negative in something positive if you try hard enough, I guess.


The fact that Cannon could be such a positive is a negative commentary on the state of the program.


Uh, we are 6-2, with some good wins and good losses - and at halftime we just held our opponent to 17 points, which is the first time in forever we can say that. Maybe lighten up a bit, and watch a game once in a while. Anyone watching the games has been pretty happy about what they see.



Jeez.
G
Gunk
Liking what I see of Cannon. Good, solid ball player. Better than Burgess and a lot of other guards we've had on the team.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.