Archived Topic

Top Candidates for OC

by byufan4ever · 11/28/2017

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
I really hope we keep our options and minds open when looking for a new OC. I think it's great to have some of our staff deeply connected to BYU, but I think it's also important to bring in some outside influence. I'll be extremely disappointed if the only people considered were BYU alums or Sitake buddies.



I don't know who is a realistic option, but this is according to Lawless Republic:



Jay Hill, Weber State Head Coach

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/2/



Fesi Sitake, Weber State Offensive Coordinator

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/3/



Aaron Roderick, BYU football consultant

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/4/



Bob Stitt, former Montana Head Coach

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/5/



Dennis Simmons, Oklahoma Wide Receivers Coach

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/6/



Gary Crowton, Stephen F. Austin Offensive Coordinator

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/7/



Guy Holliday, Utah Wide Receivers Coach

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/8/



Jeff Grimes, LSU Offensive Line Coach/Running Game Coordinator

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/9/



Kenny Edenfield Troy Offensive Coordinator

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/10/



Kevin McGiven, Oregon State Offensive Coordinator

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/11/



Steve Sarkisian, Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/11/27/byu-football-offensive-coordinator-candidates/12/
V
vancouvercougar
Oregon State had one win--a 3 point victory over zero win FCS Portland State. Do we really want McGiven? The whole OSU staff was told to clean out their offices by Tuesday.



Grimes might be OK. Crowton might be ok as a coordinator.
B
byufan4ever
I would like to see what Holliday could do as an OC. He was an OC for Alabama St. and we already know what he can do for WRs.
A
a1247
I would imagine Roderick would be the front runner since Kalani has previously worked with him at Utah. His offense could work and he's suppose to be a good recruiter. And being currently unemployed doesn't hurt



Dennis Simmons is the big unknown and could be interesting with his previous work experience. Also doesn't hurt with the boosters that he's a former byu player. It's pretty obvious the boosters love to shell out money for the former players.



Jake Kuresa earlier tweeted out earlier his support for Jeff Grimes. For years there has been plenty of people on here singing his praise. He's worked for BYU he understands the unique "challenges" with recruiting at BYU. The oline would be better and the experience of coaching at LSU would harden any good coach.



Bob Stitt is suppose to an offensive guru and he might come at the right price for BYU.



Kenny Endenfield is the candidate that would interest me the most. Troys offense can get it on and is fun to watch.
A
ABYUFAN
Didn't Crowton quit at SUU? If I'm remembering it wrong I apologize, but if I'm remembering it right - we don't hire quitters.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Paul Peterson



Norm Chow



Jason Beck
F
frdbtr
Of everyone that is mentioned the 2 that are the most interesting are Norm Chow and Sark, neither of whom would give BYU the time of day. Chow, because he was completely spurned by the BYU admin and its fans the last time he was here and Sark because we couldn't afford him. Crowton is a has been and hasn't had a successful offense since 2001. I'm not really familiar with the other mentions. Having said all that, the biggest problem with BYU football is still the HC and no matter how many scapegoats we use to keep him here, it won't make the team any better until he is gone.
G
Guest
I'm all in on the Grimes bandwagon.



I don't think it will happen though, because Grimes is a hard nosed, hard working guy. He wouldn't allow the staff to take half the practices off, nor not have a single practice or film session over the bye week.
W
Woody3715
Does the OC get to pick his own Staff? Since Detmer is already the QB coach, maybe the answer is no. What kind of OC will BYU get if he's stuck with KS' picked position coaches?
M
Mars
I don't want the Oregon State guy. Losing is bad.



Grimes might be good, but his price-tag of $600k is likely a dealbeeaker.



Holliday, maybe?



Roderick we can get for WRs, why settle for him as OC?



Simmons, maybe, but it's hard to fail coaching 4 and 5 star kids every year.



Bob Stitt, if we can get him, Yes!



Crowton was fired from SUU, I thought. He would be good for one year, then bad for a year, then fired, IMO.



I wouldn't interview Sark due to the drinking.



Paul Peterson is the best name I've heard so far.



But Norm Chow is Polynesian, played for BYU, and the Deseret News reports he has been on campus recently.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
So here's a thought. Norm Chow was Ty Detmers QB coach when he was playing, he is friends with both Sitake and Ty. What if Ty agreed to step down to a position coach and Norm is going to come and tutor him for a couple of years in order to take over as OC again. This is all just my own speculation and is based on nothing. Just food for thought.
M
mtnradio
Holliday is unlikely ... he was spurned by Sitake as a receiver's coach, which is a shame as I really like him.



Chow and Roderick probably have the inside track ... Chow because he is poly and his prior ties to BYU; Roderick because he is a Sitake friend.



Sark would be great, if we could get him. He runs exciting offenses and it would be a great guesture by the school/church and a good comment on our belief in repentance and redemption. Sark had a very public fall, I'd love the statement it makes if we got him (plus, I like what he's done) ... I just really don't think there is any realistic hope of getting him.



Grimes ... sounds like he could be good, but probably over BYU's budget.

The guy from Montana could be a good choice.

Crowton? I know he's had some success since leaving BYU, but I'm not on that bandwagon.

Lots to dream about, and frdbtr's comment above is one of those welcomed wishes. But in the end, KS's discharge of Ty confirms too many bad things in my mind and I'm afraid that this is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic ... the problem is the guy at the top. (I just really hope I'm wrong, I like Kalani! Plus, if I'm right, then it will be years before BYU is able to recover from this one ....)
G
Gunk
Which one of those guys played with Sitake or is related to him? That's who we'll get.
B
BroncoBot
Woody3715 wrote:

Does the OC get to pick his own Staff? Since Detmer is already the QB coach, maybe the answer is no. What kind of OC will BYU get if he's stuck with KS' picked position coaches?


I'm near 100% certain Detmer didn't choose his staff.

Here's how I see the current BYU staff being selected. Kalani picks out some of his old friends and then sticks them with positions. BYU tells Kalani that Detmer will be OC and that Kaufusi can't be let go.
M
mtnradio
BYU Sports Nation tweeted their list of Candidates (my response to each in parenthesis):



Potential OC Candidates:



Aaron Roderick: Former Utah OC (As a Friend of Kalani, probably has an inside track ... I'd pass on him)

Norm Chow: Former BYU, NC St, USC, Titans OC (FoK, former KS coach, Poly, ties to BYU ... please no)

Darrell Bevell: OC Seattle Seahawks (What are you smoking!?! Not a chance in the known universe)

Kevin McGiven: OC Oregon St (perhaps the worst choice available ...)

Gary Crowton: OC Stephen F. Austin (wouldn't be greeted with many cheers at BYU ... I doubt he'd come)

Jason Beck: Virginia QB Coach (Just left BYU with a successful coach ... bring him back for this? I doubt it, unless he wants to position himself to be elevated to HC when KS is fired)

Jeff Grimes: LSU OL/Run Game (Probably the best choice, but why would he want to come and be a part of this mess? Unless he wants a shot at the HC job ...)
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
If Jeff Grimes sounds anything like his head coach, BRING THIS MAN TO PROVO.



https://youtu.be/-42m0L4ITf4
A
ABYUFAN
How does Roderick even get mentioned? Strike one he already turned down BYU before. (More than once if memory serves me). Strike two is he sucked enough to get fired from his other job. And three - he has "experience" just like Dolan and Ty have "experience". His experience is that he sucked. No thanks
M
mormonrasta
Please oh Please let it be Simmons!!!



Played at BYU. African American. Texas Recruiting Ties.



I hope he comes to BYU and doesn't sign any mission bound Wide Receivers. (But Austin Collie! He was a unicorn. Nothing spectacular about any of our other RM wide receivers). We've had only 2 WRs drafted in the NFL in the last 30 drafts. If we are serious about a passing game we need to start recruiting real talent instead of plucky little RMs that would be playing at Ricks if they still had a program.



Simmons can help pave the way for upgrading our WR talent and passing game.
M
Mars
Simmons coached Crabtree at Texas Tech as well. Didn't realize he was a Mike Leach disciple.
C
CrimsonCoug
My eyes lit up when I saw Jeff Grimes on the list. I think he and Empey together could instill some toughness into the team. That said, the lack of practices and film sessions is on the HC and nobody else.

Hope to keep Detmer on as QB coach, and let him be the nice, finesse guy.



I imagine that the new OC will be able to name his own staff. That's how I read Sitake getting out of the very sticky situation of having to let Reno Mahe go. He'll get his new hire to be the hatchet man.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.