Archived Topic

Ty No Longer OC

by snoscythe · 11/27/2017

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Relieved of OC duties. Remains on staff for time being as QB coach.



Guess Kalani admits coaching was to blame and not just injuries and talent. Now to can some of his buddies on the other side of the ball.
B
BroncoBot
If there was one guy who could have blamed injuries and talent, it was Detmer.



Detmer - playing with 4 string freshman QB and what string RB? Receiver coach is "pillows and feathers". RB coach with no experience.
B
BroncoBot
Detmer, I believe is the greatest victim of the current coaching staff. This is unfortunate.
B
byufan4ever
Is it still possible Kalani gets fired as well? Does this move save him? I think there are bigger issues such as the culture and the defense had just as big problems as the offense so I hope he doesn't think this one move will solve everything.



Does Detmer keep his current salary to "just" be the QB coach? Does he want to stay on as QB coach?
V
vancouvercougar
I'm really angry at this. Ty had two hands tied behind his back while trying to do his job.

I have been a Sitake fan until this year. He did a poor job forming the team by dividing offense from defense.



The hopes for next year aren't that great in my eyes.
Advertisement
S
Sammich
Ty Detmer was definitely failing at his job, which was to take advantage of his offensive strengths and exploit the defense's weakness. I don't blame anyone for firing him on that basis.

But the fact that he was the first and only coach to go is, in my mind, a massive mistake. He was definitely not the worst-performing coach on the staff.

If it were up to me, I'd change the failing assistant coaches around him and give him another year.
A
ABYUFAN
I think this is a great move. Ty Detmer will still be on staff, will be the QB coach (we really really needed one) and will be able to grow as a coach. If we can bring an experienced OC in, then we will have a good depth of offensive minds on the sidelines (and booth). This move makes me happy - that Ty is willing to accept the demotion and still stay on staff speaks volumes of his willingness to be at BYU for the long haul
G
Guest
Wow. Ty's offense was clearly bad. But he was also the only coach who showed the ability to adapt and change by shifting to a faster paced, more spread-based offense through the year.



It's been clear throughout the year though that Sitake does not like Detmer, because he's not one of his boys.



For him to be the first coach to take a demotion is just another in a long line of bad decisions by Kalani.
V
vancouvercougar
ABYUFAN wrote:

I think this is a great move. Ty Detmer will still be on staff, will be the QB coach (we really really needed one) and will be able to grow as a coach. If we can bring an experienced OC in, then we will have a good depth of offensive minds on the sidelines (and booth). This move makes me happy - that Ty is willing to accept the demotion and still stay on staff speaks volumes of his willingness to be at BYU for the long haul


Have we heard for sure that Ty is still on staff?
F
Fido
hawkwing wrote:

Wow. Ty's offense was clearly bad. But he was also the only coach who showed the ability to adapt and change by shifting to a faster paced, more spread-based offense through the year.



It's been clear throughout the year though that Sitake does not like Detmer, because he's not one of his boys.



For him to be the first coach to take a demotion is just another in a long line of bad decisions by Kalani.


I was with you until the bolded part. That sounds like you putting your own bias spin on the situation and claiming it is Sitake's thinking.

Look at the offense and where the offense ranked in all of D1. It is indefensible. A change was definitely needed. There were many questionable things going on even late in the season (anyone remember the mysteriously pass-heavy UMass game right after a dominating rushing performance against UNLV?). I hope Ty has an opportunity to stay on and improve as a coach--increase his experience. But he was in over his head in that role this year.
Advertisement
F
Fido
vancouvercougar wrote:


I think this is a great move. Ty Detmer will still be on staff, will be the QB coach (we really really needed one) and will be able to grow as a coach. If we can bring an experienced OC in, then we will have a good depth of offensive minds on the sidelines (and booth). This move makes me happy - that Ty is willing to accept the demotion and still stay on staff speaks volumes of his willingness to be at BYU for the long haul


Have we heard for sure that Ty is still on staff?


Yes

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865693348/BYU-football-Ty-Detmer-out-as-offensive-coordinator.html
C
Cougarfan87
If Sark could come in as OC, I think that would be a great situation on offense. Kaufusi needs to go back to DL, Tuiaki to LBs and someone else needs to call the plays on defense.



I was for giving TY more time, but I will be happy with him as QB coach only if they get an experienced play caller like Sarkisian.
J
Jarhead
None of the other offensive coaches have been fired yet because they need to select a new OC which will assemble their own staff. It will be the OC's call on who to keep.
S
snoscythe
It's interesting that this news came from Sitake and not the AD's office. No comment on Twitter from Holmoe or Wrubell either at this point.



Is Holmoe on board here, or is Kalani trying to save his own neck?
M
mtnradio
[somehow this was a duplicate .... probably just "user error"]
Advertisement
M
mtnradio
OK, I'll say it:

Is this because Ty struggled with terrible coaches around him? Or because he was forced on Sitake and isn't a poly?

Sorry ... I've been somewhat embittered by what I've seen this year, and worse, what others close to me saw. I mentioned before what my son's experience was there at BYU Football Camp. I thought Sitake was not part of that, but I"m not so sure. When he was hired, there were several scholarships that had been offered to players around Utah that suddenly got withdrawn. Their coaches told me that it was because the boys were the "wrong color" (not poly) I didn't want to believe it. But the last 2 years have become more that way ... it starts or stops with the HC. Kalani didn't stop it.



I am not happy with making Ty the sacrificial lamb. We'll see who the new OC is ... the Trib is reporting that Norm Chow and Roderick are top on the list. This could go from bad to worse ....



I am very unsettled about this. I want Kalani to succeed, but he worries me.
B
Brayden Green
I'm still a BYU fan after all this, and BYU is bigger than one person... but...



...



...



...



What the hell?



I get if you want to clean house all the way up the chain to Ty (I don't agree with it, but I get it...). I don't get Ty being the first (and I hope not only) demotion. You can make a much clearer case for Empey, Mahe or even Cahoon.



Going back to the pro style makes so much sense for BYU.



I'm at a loss for words, except to say that I will trade one or two bad seasons for decade long dominance. I feel this is a move back to mediocrity.
G
Guest
Fido wrote:


Wow. Ty's offense was clearly bad. But he was also the only coach who showed the ability to adapt and change by shifting to a faster paced, more spread-based offense through the year.



It's been clear throughout the year though that Sitake does not like Detmer, because he's not one of his boys.



For him to be the first coach to take a demotion is just another in a long line of bad decisions by Kalani.


I was with you until the bolded part. That sounds like you putting your own bias spin on the situation and claiming it is Sitake's thinking.

Look at the offense and where the offense ranked in all of D1. It is indefensible. A change was definitely needed. There were many questionable things going on even late in the season (anyone remember the mysteriously pass-heavy UMass game right after a dominating rushing performance against UNLV?). I hope Ty has an opportunity to stay on and improve as a coach--increase his experience. But he was in over his head in that role this year.


This was confirmed by Derek Stevenson, that he was fired because he wasn't one of Kalani's friends.



https://twitter.com/derikstevenson/status/935228680044912640
S
scott715
We need a quality OC that Ty can learn from. Ty might move back to OC in a few years after more experience.
M
mtnradio
scott715 wrote:

We need a quality OC that Ty can learn from. Ty might move back to OC in a few years after more experience.


Suggestions? And do you really think Ty will stay?
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.