Archived Topic

BYU VS UTA

by tmoney35 · 11/19/2017

Advertisement
T
tmoney35
So far we're really getting it handed to us. UTA is faster and strong, and it seems to be getting into our heads. Tons of mistakes, ice cold shooting. Our guys need to get it together and play within themselves
B
BroncoBot
tmoney35 wrote:

So far we're really getting it handed to us. UTA is faster and strong, and it seems to be getting into our heads. Tons of mistakes, ice cold shooting. Our guys need to get it together and play within themselves


Wow, how is UTA such a matchup nightmare for BYU. Unbelievable.
T
tmoney35
I don't know. Not what I was expecting. All I had heard was how UTA would take a step back from last year and we're supposed to be better. Add the fact that UTA barely got past LMU right before this game.



Don't let the final score fool anyone, this could've been a 30 point beat down but for a pointless, too little too late run by BYU at the end.



Hopefully this is a good learning experience that makes us better going forward.
M
Mars
Is it Football season again yet?
G
Gunk
I didn't see the game. Was watching the box score. We got spanked.



I debating getting cable so I could watch the season, but maybe I will hold off another season.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Here is the UTA game PER:


UT-Arlington.PNG

And the season average so far:


BYU PER Ave 2017-11-18.PNG
B
byufan4ever
I know one loss is not the end of the world, especially in basketball, because changes can be made and there's always the possibility of going on a run and winning the conference tournament. Also, sometimes you can do all the small things right and the other team just shoots lights out and you're ice cold and there's nothing you can do about it.



However. Two things have been bugging me for a few seasons now.



1) Screens. We don't know how to set them and we don't know how to fight through them. Seriously, watch almost any game and the other teams does a MUCH better job of setting screens than we do. We have zero pick and roll capabilities because we have no concept of how to even set a screen. In fact, I'm surprised we don't get called for more moving screens. But our screens are so soft and our guards don't know how to lead into them.



2) Offense. What in all that's holy are we doing on offense? Half the time it's one guy staying still holding onto the ball just to hand it off to someone else. Is the triple threat not taught anymore? If you have the ball, at all times, you need to be a threat to your defender to dribble, pass, or shoot. Seriously, I lost track of how many times our guy with the ball was a threat to do zero of those things. And what's the last thing you want to do when the defense is in zone. Stay still! Move the ball around quickly! Make the defense work! It's no wonder UTA had so much energy on offense when they were able to stand still on defense because we don't do anything. A fast paced offense isn't just about scoring on the fast break. There needs to be a sense of urgency on offense. Move the ball around quickly. Dribble and penetrate. I saw none of that last night and not much of it the last few seasons.



Rant over. Let's go beat Niagara!
G
Gunk
Rose has never been very good about beating the zone. Teams play zone on us and we freeze up.



Jimmer could beat the zone because he demanded the ball and could take it to the hole.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:

I didn't see the game. Was watching the box score. We got spanked.



I debating getting cable so I could watch the season, but maybe I will hold off another season.


Game was on BYUtv bro!
B
Brayden Green
Gunk wrote:

I didn't see the game. Was watching the box score. We got spanked.



I debating getting cable so I could watch the season, but maybe I will hold off another season.


Roku (BYUtv) / WatchTV App. That'll get you 90% of BYU's games.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.