Archived Topic

UMass game

by Fido · 11/18/2017

Advertisement
F
Fido
Well, the offense is impotent once again, and the defense can't stop much. Surprised there is only a 2 score difference.
S
snoscythe
Critchlow's been sacked more than a veteran hooker.
F
frdbtr
BYU's defense gets no pressure on opposing QB's. Our QB's get harassed constantly. Critchlow has come back to earth but IMO if receivers make aggressive plays on the ball on 3 dropped deep balls BYU would be ahead in this game. The receivers simply don't make plays. The only guy who has made plays all year had a ball go right through his hands that should have been a TD but ended up being an interception.
B
BoiseBYU
This game is the season in summary
D
Ddawg
1 game to go and the vexatious, distressing season is over.
Advertisement
S
Sammich
Did our o-line have a couple injuries or something? This was by far their worst game this year.
I
imuakahuku
This was all on the players. It was 100% their lack of effort and discipline (and playing smart). Wrong gaps, terrible angles, little effort, I could keep going. How does a punt returning muff the punt and they recover the ball? There should have been five or six guys down there, but not getting off blocks and I saw several pulled up as soon as the fair catch went up. Absolutely unacceptable. Also, how do we not have 300 yards rushing in the game? Well, I'll answer it, OL was not firing off. I saw a whole bunch of guys missing blocks and just kind of reaching out to try and block someone because they didn't hustle to get in position to block. I wish they would have given Kafentzis a few drives in the third quarter. Lets see what he can bring to the table. I think him breaking a few would have slowed the rush down a lot. F for effort all around. Even on D. The LBs kept cheating up and guarding nobody on the slants, not rushing nor protecting against the pass. Just caught in no man's land. Sickening. I hope KS learns from this year and makes sure next years team and going forward that all these mistakes and this lack of effort will not be tolerated.
S
snoscythe
This is the kind of game where someone needs to get fired today, not after the end of the season.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:

This is the kind of game where someone needs to get fired today, not after the end of the season.


This is the effort we have gotten all year. We should have fired everyone after the Utah state game. There is nothing unusual about what happened today, it is the norm for this year.
M
Mars
Word before the game was that coaches had a pretty relaxing, low-key week.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Mars wrote:

Word before the game was that coaches had a pretty relaxing, low-key week.


Exactly what it looked like. This game is on coaches and players.
G
Guest
BYU is a very bad team.
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:

Word before the game was that coaches had a pretty relaxing, low-key week.


Isn't that what you normally do when you beat a bad team on the road to improve to 3-8? All the optimism after the UNLV win comes crashing back to earth when we realize that the UNLV game was the abnormality and losing to a bad UMASS team is the norm.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:

Word before the game was that coaches had a pretty relaxing, low-key week.


Word before the game is that the coaches had pretty relaxing, low-key season.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:

Word before the game was that coaches had a pretty relaxing, low-key week.


Well hey, BYU got a win last week, what do you expect? to work hard every week? come on dude, give the coaches/players a break.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:

BYU is a very bad team.

BYU had a terrible season and I think a lot of that is on the coaches. Can anyone really say that the 2017 football team with the 2015 coaching staff doesn't go bowling this year? yeah, bronco would have lost the utah game somehow, but I'd take that and a 8-9 win season at this point.



I don't think BYU has a "very bad team". I think the team was mismanaged terribly.
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:


BYU is a very bad team.

BYU had a terrible season and I think a lot of that is on the coaches. Can anyone really say that the 2017 football team with the 2015 coaching staff doesn't go bowling this year? yeah, bronco would have lost the utah game somehow, but I'd take that and a 8-9 win season at this point.



I don't think BYU has a "very bad team". I think the team was mismanaged terribly.


I agree, we have the talent to be a good team. We should have won 8-10 games this year. There is no way we should be a 3 win team. I look at the way this team plays with softness on both sides of the ball. Even in the win last week Shumway casually catching a perfectly thrown ball out of bounds last week is a pretty good summary of the way the receivers play on this team. The coaching is a disaster. BYU has no business losing to a team like UMASS. UMASS is way better coached. BYU's receivers catch some of Critchlow's perfectly thrown deep balls and we win even though we got out played and out coached in every way possible because they have inferior talent to us.
G
Guest
BroncoBot wrote:


BYU is a very bad team.

BYU had a terrible season and I think a lot of that is on the coaches. Can anyone really say that the 2017 football team with the 2015 coaching staff doesn't go bowling this year? yeah, bronco would have lost the utah game somehow, but I'd take that and a 8-9 win season at this point.



I don't think BYU has a "very bad team". I think the team was mismanaged terribly.


Absolutely this team would be 10 or 11 wins this year with the previous staff.



They are bad because the staff is bad.
F
Fido
hawkwing wrote:

Absolutely this team would be 10 or 11 wins this year with the previous staff.



They are bad because the staff is bad.


Believe me I think the staff did a horrific job this year. But there is no way this team has the talent to win 10-11 games.

LSU, Wisconsin, Mississippi State all still crush this team no matter who is coaching.

A ranked Boise State team also probably beats this team under a different staff. Bronco had a long losing streak to Utah and I don't picture that changing this year either. If that happened (not a stretch in my opinion) that is only 8 wins. The days of the 10-win Cougars on a regular basis died with leaving the MWC. You play a big boy schedule and 8 or more wins is a very good season.
G
Gunk
Coaches suck and the players knew it.



It's not like they are going to lose their scholarships and there's little to no chance of going to the NFL, so what's the incentive? They aren't going bowling.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.