Archived Topic

Ula’s Availability

by lawngnome · 10/26/2017

Advertisement
L
lawngnome
As the coaches have allowed him to play until the news broke, what do you think his availability is for the coming weeks? And I’m your opinion what should his availability be if you were in charge of the program?
F
frdbtr
He should be suspended pending the outcome of the honor code office and his bishops decision on his eligibility. If that isn't the rest of the season than so be it.
1
1967cougar
frdbtr wrote:

He should be suspended pending the outcome of the honor code office and his bishops decision on his eligibility. If that isn't the rest of the season than so be it.
I agree. And shame on the coaches if they knew about it and did nothing. What does BYU represent, a football team or a standard of righteousness? I believe in forgiveness but I also believe that actions have consequences. What would happen if it were a different student who got caught with weed? I guess I'm just beside myself. I can handle losing. After all, it's just a game. I cannot handle tarnishing the image of the Church just to keep a player on the team.
M
mtnradio
1967cougar wrote:


He should be suspended pending the outcome of the honor code office and his bishops decision on his eligibility. If that isn't the rest of the season than so be it.
I agree. And shame on the coaches if they knew about it and did nothing. What does BYU represent, a football team or a standard of righteousness? I believe in forgiveness but I also believe that actions have consequences. What would happen if it were a different student who got caught with weed? I guess I'm just beside myself. I can handle losing. After all, it's just a game. I cannot handle tarnishing the image of the Church just to keep a player on the team.


I agree. Frankly, I think (if indeed the coaches knew) that they did a disservice to Ula. I tend to believe that if he had been dealt with up front and suspended from some games that he would likely be back to finish the season. BUT, if they knew and did nothing, then the HC office and Bishop not only have a young man to deal with, but also the honor and reputation of the institution and it is known and the punishment is likely to be more severe. It's like the difference between an aaronic priesthood holder, a melchezidek priesthood holder and a leader of the church all committing adultery ... because of the level of knowledge, responsibility the punishments are usually different.



Life demands payment in full ... and when delayed there will be interest added on.
A
ABYUFAN
I'm giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt. If whatever happens as a result of the mistake hasn't yet happened then the coaches are stupid. They should have always known that this would come to light. Their stance should be whatever punishment is merited, should be given out irrespective of whether the public finds out about the transgression (and the public always seems to find out...)
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
ABYUFAN wrote:

I'm giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt. If whatever happens as a result of the mistake hasn't yet happened then the coaches are stupid. They should have always known that this would come to light. Their stance should be whatever punishment is merited, should be given out irrespective of whether the public finds out about the transgression (and the public always seems to find out...)

this. If they knew and played him anyway, not a good precedent. Especially this year when it's a lost season anyway.



If it all turns out to be true, he's done for at least the rest of the year or this is going to be a bad look.



Micah hanneman was suspended for the entire utah game for targeting by KS, right?
B
Brayden Green
I am fine with the coaches playing him until a legal precedent happened. You can't just suspend people because rumors are flying around. We don't want to invite a culture where the Duke lacrosse scandal is welcome to run rampant.



Once legal precedent has started (or a confession) then they should hold him out. I believe that you are innocent until proven guilty, which I admit isn't a popular position in today's stone throwing, false allegation riddled society.
F
Fido
Pre-game show said Ula will not play today. Neither will Troy Warner. Shumway, Balderee, Canada, and Hoge are active on the offensive side of the ball. KJ Hall gets the start at RB. QB depth chart is Mangum/Critchlow (due to having a similar style to TM)/Hoge (if they need to do something different).
C
Cougs_Rule
Word has it that the coaches are In possession of a lot higher discipline under Ula’s influence.
J
Jarhead
Brayden Green wrote:

I am fine with the coaches playing him until a legal precedent happened. You can't just suspend people because rumors are flying around. We don't want to invite a culture where the Duke lacrosse scandal is welcome to run rampant.



Once legal precedent has started (or a confession) then they should hold him out. I believe that you are innocent until proven guilty, which I admit isn't a popular position in today's stone throwing, false allegation riddled society.


They caught him frisbee handed. He was definitely in possession.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Brayden Green wrote:

I am fine with the coaches playing him until a legal precedent happened. You can't just suspend people because rumors are flying around. We don't want to invite a culture where the Duke lacrosse scandal is welcome to run rampant.



Once legal precedent has started (or a confession) then they should hold him out. I believe that you are innocent until proven guilty, which I admit isn't a popular position in today's stone throwing, false allegation riddled society.


I don't understand this take.
B
Brayden Green
https://highwaypatrol.utah.gov/important-information/understanding-citations/



A citation is a ticket, which comes down to a he said, she said accounting of the "offender" against the cop. Then it goes to court.



The players initially lied about the encounter.



They eventually have to go to court and either pay or fight the allegations or else a warrant will be sent out for their arrest, (they can't lie anymore when under oath in court, or else they face felony charges).



I have trust in the coaches that they made the decision when it came to them.
M
mtnradio
Possession of marijuana is still a crime ... a misdemeanor, and the officer chose not to arrest him, rather just cite and release. Don't underestimate it ... jail time is a real possibility.
M
Mars
Ula had weed in a frisbee. That's a fact.
B
Brayden Green
mtnradio wrote:

Possession of marijuana is still a crime ... a misdemeanor, and the officer chose not to arrest him, rather just cite and release. Don't underestimate it ... jail time is a real possibility.


I never said it wasn't a crime. So is speeding. So are a lot of things. There is a legal precedent that we have for determining whether or not people are guilty of crimes.



By the way, it shouldn't be. People shouldn't be in trouble for carrying a plant around.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Mars wrote:

Ula had weed in a frisbee. That's a fact.


He also lied about it to the coaches. That's a fact.



When your player tells you that he didn't have weed in a frisbee, you are generally inclined to believe him. When more evidence presents itself, then you act on that evidence.
M
Mars
Brayden Green wrote:


Ula had weed in a frisbee. That's a fact.


He also lied about it to the coaches. That's a fact.



When your player tells you that he didn't have weed in a frisbee, you are generally inclined to believe him. When more evidence presents itself, then you act on that evidence.

Link?
M
mtnradio
Brayden Green wrote:


Possession of marijuana is still a crime ... a misdemeanor, and the officer chose not to arrest him, rather just cite and release. Don't underestimate it ... jail time is a real possibility.


I never said it wasn't a crime. So is speeding. So are a lot of things. There is a legal precedent that we have for determining whether or not people are guilty of crimes.



By the way, it shouldn't be. People shouldn't be in trouble for carrying a plant around.

Dude ... speeding is NOT a crime ... it is a civil infraction. This is a crime. Jail time is a possibility for crimes, not for infractions. Coming from a state that has legalized marijuana let me tell you that 1) it is STILL against the WofW and HC, and 2) drug dealers don't just give up because it is legal ... cartels try to take over the production AND other drugs become cheap and more prevalent. Here, Black Tar Heroine is replacing pot. Statements like "people shouldn't be in trouble for carrying a plant around" reveals a lot ...
M
Mars
Speeding isn't against the Honor Code. Marijuana is.
B
Brayden Green
mtnradio wrote:


mtnradio wrote:

Possession of marijuana is still a crime ... a misdemeanor, and the officer chose not to arrest him, rather just cite and release. Don't underestimate it ... jail time is a real possibility.


I never said it wasn't a crime. So is speeding. So are a lot of things. There is a legal precedent that we have for determining whether or not people are guilty of crimes.



By the way, it shouldn't be. People shouldn't be in trouble for carrying a plant around.

Dude ... speeding is NOT a crime ... it is a civil infraction. This is a crime. Jail time is a possibility for crimes, not for infractions. Coming from a state that has legalized marijuana let me tell you that 1) it is STILL against the WofW and HC, and 2) drug dealers don't just give up because it is legal ... cartels try to take over the production AND other drugs become cheap and more prevalent. Here, Black Tar Heroine is replacing pot. Statements like "people shouldn't be in trouble for carrying a plant around" reveals a lot ...


Reckless driving, ie speeding excessively is a crime in most states. I stand by my statement that people shouldn't be in trouble for carrying around a plant, doing no other harm to anyone else. I don't see anything wrong with that statement, but that's just me. DM me if you'd like to have a discussion about this. I've researched the topic extensively, actually. So do your homework before you engage. ;)
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.