Archived Topic

BYU Broadcasting overhaul

by Fido · 10/23/2017

Advertisement
F
Fido
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900002688/byu-to-drop-pbs-and-classical-music-pursue-new-national-strategy.html



They are making major changes effective June 20, 2018 and I'll try and summarize here:



- KBYU-TV is dropping it's PBS affiliation and the KBYU call letters after 52 years of use. BYUtv will take over channel 11 in Utah and channel content. This means out is re-runs of "Sesame Street", "The Lawrence Welk Show" and "Perry Mason" and in are Studio C, Extinct, and other current BYUtv content. A family game show is planned for January and a sitcom later in 2018.



- Classical 89 FM is dropping it's classical music format and will be replaced by BYUradio programming on 89.1 FM. Info on the new BYUradio format is forthcoming.



- This eliminates duplicate content in the SLC market since shows like "Antiques Roadshow" and "This Old House" are available on KUED, the University of Utah's PBS affiliate. It also eliminates duplicate broadcast of BYU devotionals and LDS General Conference on BYUtv and KBYU-TV.
G
Guest
Does that mean BYUtv will available in HD on DirecTV?
F
Fido
hawkwing wrote:

Does that mean BYUtv will available in HD on DirecTV?


That is what it sounded like. This is from the official BYU release: http://news.byu.edu/news/byu-broadcasting-consolidates-tv-and-radio-operations



In the Utah market, KBYU Eleven is currently available in HD across all platforms, including over-the-air, and on cable and satellite, while BYUtv is only available in HD on some of these platforms. Beginning in June, BYUtv will enjoy full HD availability on all platforms across Utah through KBYU’s broadcasting license.
G
Guest
Thanks, I read the release, but not closely enough to glean that information.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Sounds like only HD in Utah on DirecTV. Other states/markets not so lucky
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:

Sounds like only HD in Utah on DirecTV. Other states/markets not so lucky


That's an improvement for me at least.



Of course I'm canceling my DirecTV, and don't get OTA reception where I live, so I guess it's too little too late. There's always the online stream.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:


Sounds like only HD in Utah on DirecTV. Other states/markets not so lucky


That's an improvement for me at least.



Of course I'm canceling my DirecTV, and don't get OTA reception where I live, so I guess it's too little too late. There's always the online stream.


Just get a Roku and BYUtv becomes on-demand and HD through their app.
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:


snoscythe wrote:

Sounds like only HD in Utah on DirecTV. Other states/markets not so lucky


That's an improvement for me at least.



Of course I'm canceling my DirecTV, and don't get OTA reception where I live, so I guess it's too little too late. There's always the online stream.


Just get a Roku and BYUtv becomes on-demand and HD through their app.


I actually have a Roku, the only problem there is the stream is about a minute delayed so chatting on CougarCorner during live games becomes seeing what happened in the comments before seeing it on the screen. But that's 1st world problem.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.