Archived Topic

Does anyone get fired this week? If so, who?

by mtnradio · 10/22/2017

Advertisement
M
mtnradio
Kalani was so upset during this game that I wouldn't be surprised if someone got fired this week. I think he is going to have to do it if he wants ANY chance at getting some wins this year. The team is demoralized. There is internal strife, and it sure looks like the players have lost confidence in one another and in the coaches ... even worse, some of the players have grown accustomed to losing (or so it looks to me).



So, will anyone lose their job this week? If so, who?



I suspect Cahoon and Mahe are the most likely to go. Offense looked worse than defense, and a position coach is easier to dismiss. The O-line looked better than receivers and backs.



Your thoughts?
F
frdbtr
Sitake firing anyone would be like someone in a glass house throwing rocks. he is the captain of this ship. He is responsible for the performance of this team. He needs to be the one who gets fired.
G
Gunk
Kalani is 1 month too late for firing people.



Cahoon and Mahe should have been fired after the Utah game. Instead he kept them on and essentially hitched his wagon to them.
G
Guest
Ty Detmer has 4 years guaranteed money at a huge salary, BYU will never fire guaranteed money, same with Kalani. The only hope is to fire position coaches and hope it sparks something.
M
Mars
If Ty has guaranteed money, he could still be demoted to QB Coach right? And if he doesn't like that, and he quits, he gives up that money, yes?



Anyone would be a better OC. Lamb, Clark, Roderick, Crowton, anyone.



Fire Cahoon and Mahe. Empey is close.



Kalani on the hot seat, with all his coaches. Holmoe on the hot seat.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I think we need a total house cleaning. The organization that Kalani created is set up to fail.
B
BOID
I recently said "let's be patient." After today's game, I don't know what to think. The unforced errors really bothered me, especially the lack of coordination between QB and receivers on short routes on third down. That appears to be getting worse rather than better. I know both teams have been bad, but ECU seemed to grow from this game experience, while BYU seemed to regress even further.



I do think that even good coaches can suffer a series of unfortunate events, that are compounding in deleterious effects. The frustration on the part of both players and coaches must be fiercely intense right now.



Will they find some fair winds to help them right this ship, or will negative emotions drag them further down?
F
frdbtr
BOID wrote:

I recently said "let's be patient." After today's game, I don't know what to think. The unforced errors really bothered me, especially the lack of coordination between QB and receivers on short routes on third down. That appears to be getting worse rather than better. I know both teams have been bad, but ECU seemed to grow from this game experience, while BYU seemed to regress even further.



I do think that even good coaches can suffer a series of unfortunate events, that are compounding in deleterious effects. The frustration on the part of both players and coaches must be fiercely intense right now.



Will they find some fair winds to help them right this ship, or will negative emotions drag them further down?


The offense is out of sync because the offensive coaching sucks. The defense can't get off the field because the defensive coaching sucks. The QB and receivers are out of sync because we hired a receivers coach that was fired for incompetence by a better HC than we have now. The Oline coach is a failed TE coach that was fired by a HC that was better than the one we have now. The RB coach was hired because he was Polynesian with no other qualifications. We have no coach on the staff that is hard nosed enough to hold anyone accountable if they don't run the system perfectly. Kalani made it clear he wanted to coach with "love" instead of with discipline and now the fruits of that are showing up on the field, so he is changing his tactics and trying to get more hard nosed. The problem is, you can't change mid stream and become a different coach, it is confusing to the players and you can see that the team is getting worse, not better. This situation is the titanic, it is a dumpster fire that is having gasoline poured on it. We need a complete house cleaning and start over. This entire situation was a big mistake and IMO, I would like to see an evaluation done on the AD as well.
F
frdbtr
One other thing. The Defensive coordinator took the best Dline coach on the staff and put him in charge of Linebackers so he could take over the Dline himself and both the Dline and the linebackers have played worse this year than last. Stupid incompetent coaching all the way around. This entire staff has no idea what they are doing. They will never get this thing fixed. BYU IMO is in danger of not getting the ESPN contract renewed. We have only viewership that keeps that contract safe, getting the crap kicked out of us by 1 win teams is not going to draw well.
C
Cougarfan87
I was on the patience wagon too. But I think Mangum is actually worse than Heaps. Heaps at least beat poor teams. If I were Kanani, I would demote Tuiaki to Linebackers coach and call the defense myself. The defensive play calling has been atrocious. I would move Kaufusi back to D-line, you know, where the Dline actually used to pressure people. I would bench Mangum and start Critchlow the rest of the year. Mangum doesn’t have it. Let’s see if Critchlow does. And at the end of the year, Cahoon, Mahe, and Empey would be gone. I think you have to give Ty another year with decent position coaches and a QB that can read a defense. Plus, it just doesn’t look good to fire a legend, so he gets one more year. The strength and conditioning coach also should get canned if the outmoded program is leading to injuries. There has never been a worse BYU team in my lifetime, including the Crowton years. How bad is it? I think KN and the triple option would have been better.
Advertisement
M
Mars
The strength and conditioning coach is a recent hire.
B
BroncoBot
Cougarfan87 wrote:

I was on the patience wagon too. But I think Mangum is actually worse than Heaps. Heaps at least beat poor teams. If I were Kanani, I would demote Tuiaki to Linebackers coach and call the defense myself. The defensive play calling has been atrocious. I would move Kaufusi back to D-line, you know, where the Dline actually used to pressure people. I would bench Mangum and start Critchlow the rest of the year. Mangum doesn’t have it. Let’s see if Critchlow does. And at the end of the year, Cahoon, Mahe, and Empey would be gone. I think you have to give Ty another year with decent position coaches and a QB that can read a defense. Plus, it just doesn’t look good to fire a legend, so he gets one more year. The strength and conditioning coach also should get canned if the outmoded program is leading to injuries. There has never been a worse BYU team in my lifetime, including the Crowton years. How bad is it? I think KN and the triple option would have been better.

This isn't a shot at you Cougarfan87, but I think it mirrors a lot of fans' opinions right now. There's a lot of flip-flopping going on right now.
B
byufan4ever
frdbtr wrote:



The offense is out of sync because the offensive coaching sucks. The defense can't get off the field because the defensive coaching sucks. The QB and receivers are out of sync because we hired a receivers coach that was fired for incompetence by a better HC than we have now. The Oline coach is a failed TE coach that was fired by a HC that was better than the one we have now. The RB coach was hired because he was Polynesian with no other qualifications. We have no coach on the staff that is hard nosed enough to hold anyone accountable if they don't run the system perfectly. Kalani made it clear he wanted to coach with "love" instead of with discipline and now the fruits of that are showing up on the field, so he is changing his tactics and trying to get more hard nosed. The problem is, you can't change mid stream and become a different coach, it is confusing to the players and you can see that the team is getting worse, not better. This situation is the titanic, it is a dumpster fire that is having gasoline poured on it. We need a complete house cleaning and start over. This entire situation was a big mistake and IMO, I would like to see an evaluation done on the AD as well.


Well said. Agree 100% with everything you said.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
The only mid-season fire I see possible is Cahoon. Receivers have been consistently bad. Team is hurting and reeling. I think the offseason will see more changes.
V
vancouvercougar
If anyone gets fired, it will be Cahoon. 2 attempts without success.



I understand that there are a lot of injuries. But this staff hasn’t dealt with it well. In game adjustments have little effectiveness.



It’s like the staff is playing checkers against opponents who are playing chess.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
I think Tom Holmoe showed two good AD moves in the last few days:



1) opting to stage the SJSU game at LES at 1pm MT on BYUtv (rather than 8:30pm on ESPNU). There will be better attendance for an early afternoon kickoff than late Saturday night - with at least a chance to finally win a game, it's the better alternative - even if BYU makes less money from the game.



2) extending the ECU series for 2022 and 2024. BYU's visiting section at ECU was full - lots of Cougar fans within driving distance who came despite the 1-6 record. And, BYU needs more ECU, not more LSU, on future schedules.



This offseason, Holmoe HAS to figure out how to get a bigger budget for the football staff. We need to pay to bring in coaches that have experience and a history of success. I'm not calling to fire Kilani or Ty just yet. But, we need position coaches who can help our players improve, not digress.



While I don't think BYU or Kilani really gain anything by a mid-season firing, I would like to see if anything would change if Kilani took over the DC responsibilities down the stretch.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.