W
Woody3715There have been a lot of posts on this Board questioning the loyalty of other posters to BYU. I'm an outsider, as I've disclosed before: I went to Wisconsin. But my question to all of you is: what is your definition of loyalty? Is it loyalty to BYU the institution or loyalty to the individuals of the institution (e.g the coaches)? Sometimes, loyalty to the coaches is not in the best interest of BYU, the university.
In my September 10 post, I recounted that when Wisconsin went through the Don Morton era from 1987 to 1989, tens of thousands of season ticket holders (including me) rebelled by not renewing their season tickets in order to put financial pressure on the athletic department. Several big donors to the Wisconsin athletic department pledged contributions to buy out the remainder of Morton's contract. All of these people thought they were acting in the long term interest of the University of Wisconsin, the institution, although certainly not in the interest of the coaches.
I'm sure that every BYU alum who posts on this Board loves BYU and wants the best for that institution. But loyalty to BYU the institution, and wanting the best for the university, does not in all cases necessarily mean loyalty to individuals such as the coaching staff.
In my September 10 post, I recounted that when Wisconsin went through the Don Morton era from 1987 to 1989, tens of thousands of season ticket holders (including me) rebelled by not renewing their season tickets in order to put financial pressure on the athletic department. Several big donors to the Wisconsin athletic department pledged contributions to buy out the remainder of Morton's contract. All of these people thought they were acting in the long term interest of the University of Wisconsin, the institution, although certainly not in the interest of the coaches.
I'm sure that every BYU alum who posts on this Board loves BYU and wants the best for that institution. But loyalty to BYU the institution, and wanting the best for the university, does not in all cases necessarily mean loyalty to individuals such as the coaching staff.

