Archived Topic

QB Leash

by Jarhead · 10/13/2017

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Just my completely uninformed two cents, but I don't think Beau is ever coming back.
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:

Just my completely uninformed two cents, but I don't think Beau is ever coming back.

You very well may be right.
J
Jarhead
Putting a brand new qb in for a single possession at the end of a game has very little benefit. If they want to give Critchlow a real chance, they need to at least give him a full quarter to show something.
C
Cougs_Rule
The benefit to Joe and the team is that he got some snaps, insignificant as they mayhave been. That way, when Tanner goes down with an injury or just plays double down awful, Joe's first snaps won't be during a critical junction in the game.

Folks are too invested in the red shirt. He is the number two quarterback at this point. So many have criticized coaching staff's in the past for not giving back up minutes to prepare quarterbacks. So why criticize that now? Other than, like the majority of us, all we feel like doing is criticizing and trying to conjecture solutions.

Sirius Lee, why is everyone so invested in saving that red shirt? Look at the statistical probability a BYU quarterback getting hurt and replaced in the last four years. It must be at least 60% likelihood, if there were someway to actually quantify that. At least the coaches deserve some credit for illuminating Detmer as a back up quarterback.
J
Jarhead
Cougs_Rule wrote:

The benefit to Joe and the team is that he got some snaps, insignificant as they mayhave been. That way, when Tanner goes down with an injury or just plays double down awful, Joe's first snaps won't be during a critical junction in the game.

Folks are too invested in the red shirt. He is the number two quarterback at this point. So many have criticized coaching staff's in the past for not giving back up minutes to prepare quarterbacks. So why criticize that now? Other than, like the majority of us, all we feel like doing is criticizing and trying to conjecture solutions.

Sirius Lee, why is everyone so invested in saving that red shirt? Look at the statistical probability a BYU quarterback getting hurt and replaced in the last four years. It must be at least 60% likelihood, if there were someway to actually quantify that. At least the coaches deserve some credit for illuminating Detmer as a back up quarterback.


I think the sentiment is the opposite. The majority would have liked to see Joe get a lot more snaps than he did these last two games. We are criticizing the coaching staff for not doing more to prepare the backup and to keep an injured Mangum on the bench. The few snaps that he got were not enough to be meaningful, and I would argue they will do almost nothing to help his learning curve in the future. That is where the argument about the redshirt comes in. If you are only playing a guy for a couple of garbage snaps (instead of playing him significantly more like you should), than you might as well save the redshirt.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Mars wrote:


Just my completely uninformed two cents, but I don't think Beau is ever coming back.

You very well may be right.


Is thee more of a story to this?



Or, stated another way - why?



Thanks
C
CrimsonCoug
I agree with that last point. If we just need a QB to play garbage snaps, Detmer jr is perfectly adept in that role. My understanding was that they pulled Mangum out a the end of BSU because the Broncos were sending all-out blitz and were really threatening a hobbled Mangum with further injury. Hoge wasn't available, so they went down the depth chart. Because they didn't give Critchlow any meaningful snaps that would have developed him, putting him in tells me that

1. Detmer Jr will never see another snap at BYU -or-

2. They didn't think it through

As I write them off, I wish the whole team the best of luck. As miserable as this has been as a fan, I can't imagine how awful it is as a player and coach.

I'm still a fan, but I'm a fan for entertainment purposes, and it's not terribly entertaining now and won't be for the balance of the season. I wish them luck in working out this mess, whether it be through increasing experience for coaches, training up Kalani's recruits, or turning over the coaching staff in whole or in part. All are beyond my ability to influence--even by complaining or pointing out flaws in approach, technique, or game plan.

I'm just glad there isn't a rape case hanging over the team like the last time we had a miserable season.

As ever, Go Cougars!
S
snoscythe
Putting Critchlow in was the last-straw for me and caring about the team this season.



I just can't make sense of it, which leads me to conclude that the coaches are panicking or clueless.



Call me fair-weather, but I've skipped watching a few games this season, and I think I'm happier for it.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:

Putting Critchlow in was the last-straw for me and caring about the team this season.



I just can't make sense of it, which leads me to conclude that the coaches are panicking or clueless.



Call me fair-weather, but I've skipped watching a few games this season, and I think I'm happier for it.


I think they are panicking and they are clueless.
C
Cougarfan87
My guess is the Hoge is gone. His dad was very vocal about concussions, and he may have decided it just isn't worth it. Time will tell. I also guess that Detmer Jr. will never play another snap...barring injury to Mangum and Critchlow. I agree that you don't throw Critchlow to the wolves in Missippi State. I think the plan was leave Magnum in until the game is out of hand. Then let Critchlow play against Mississippi State reserves. Then at any point in our future schedule, if Mangum just really doesn't have it, even against inferior talent, Critchlow comes in and begins what may be four years of starting QB. If Mangum does figure it out, well then you can always redshirt Critchlow next year.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
The problem with the entire Critchlow situation is that everything I have heard puts Kody Wilstead as the heir-apparent and ahead of Critchlow on the depth-chart.



Assuming that is true, that means Critchlow was not brought up to develop for the future, he was brought up to protect Wilstead's redshirt.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:

The problem with the entire Critchlow situation is that everything I have heard puts Kody Wilstead as the heir-apparent and ahead of Critchlow on the depth-chart.



Assuming that is true, that means Critchlow was not brought up to develop for the future, he was brought up to protect Wilstead's redshirt.


Well, at least Sitake is still a master recruiter, and a former Lavell player so he must be good right? I will always watch, it is going to be hard but I will watch. BYU should not be 1-6 right now. We should have won at least 3 of those 6 losses even with a poorly coached team. Bronco would be 6-1 right now.
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:
Bronco would be 6-1 right now.


Bronco IS 5-1 right now, receiving votes and sitting atop the ACC.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:

Bronco would be 6-1 right now.


Bronco IS 5-1 right now, receiving votes and sitting atop the ACC.


And he destroyed a BSU team on their home field that destroyed us on our home field.
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:


frdbtr wrote:
Bronco would be 6-1 right now.


Bronco IS 5-1 right now, receiving votes and sitting atop the ACC.


And he destroyed a BSU team on their home field that destroyed us on our home field.

(snarky voice) But Bishop bronco doesn't care about football.

Bring back the firesides!
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
BroncoBot wrote:


snoscythe wrote:

Bronco would be 6-1 right now.


Bronco IS 5-1 right now, receiving votes and sitting atop the ACC.


And he destroyed a BSU team on their home field that destroyed us on our home field.

(snarky voice) But Bishop bronco doesn't care about football.

Bring back the firesides!

That "1" would probably be Utah...
B
BroncoBot
ABYUFAN wrote:


frdbtr wrote:


frdbtr wrote:
Bronco would be 6-1 right now.


Bronco IS 5-1 right now, receiving votes and sitting atop the ACC.


And he destroyed a BSU team on their home field that destroyed us on our home field.

(snarky voice) But Bishop bronco doesn't care about football.

Bring back the firesides!

That "1" would probably be Utah...

likely. But it would have been a missed fg.
M
Mars
The QB depth chart, as far as I can tell, is:

1. Mangum

2. Hoge

3. Wilstead (protect redshirt at all costs)

4. Crichlow (protect redshirt if possible)

5. Koy (burn redshirts before starting)

6. Kafentzis (Wildcat only, NEVER let him throw)
F
frdbtr
I would rather be 6-1 with a loss to the utes than 1-6 with the team looking like it currently does. My guess is that BYU would have been on a 2 game winning streak had bronco stayed here after this years win. The lone loss would have been Wisconsin.
V
vancouvercougar
I think that Ty said that putting Critchlow into the BSU game was simply to get him into a real game. He may be needed later this year, and Critchlow has at least been on the field in a real game. Hoge is out Detmer Jr, is not working, so Joe C is next off the bench.
Page 2 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.