Archived Topic

Other than Fred Warner ...

by mtnradio · 10/10/2017

Advertisement
M
mtnradio
Is there an emotional sparkplug on the team? Someone who shows up to play every down? Who is the team leader?



Before the USU game I listened to an interview with their coach, he said, "Coach-led teams can be good teams. Player-led teams can be great." I agree.



Is there a leader on the BYU sidelines? Mangum? Karoma? Pau'u? It seems to me that each of them have stepped back instead of stepping up. Maybe that is the problem with Kalani's mantra of everybody doing their 1/11th on the field. I know he's trying to get the message across that they are a team and win or lose as a team and everybody just needs to do their assignment (try to do too much and you make mistakes at your own spot), but right now they are in desperate need of someone stepping up, putting the team on their back and saying, "Come on, boys! This way to victory!"



Last year there were a few who did, and could do that. This year ... there are those that probably could, but I'm not seeing the leadership coming through the players. Who do you see as the player leaders that are taking over and making this their team?
M
mtnradio
Update: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865690678/Its-on-me-Kalani-Sitake-takes-blame-for-BYUs-offensive-woes.html



"We need an identity — something we can hang our hat on — I think his name is Ula Tolutau,” Sitake said.



Tolutau rushed nine times for 38 yards and a touchdown against the Broncos.



“I thought he’d get more (carries) than what he had in the game,” Sitake said Monday. “He should get the ball more than nine times. I’d like to see him run the ball more than that.”



Sitake wants to see his team be able to both pass and run the ball effectively.



“Our goal is to be balanced,” he said. “Right now, we’re not doing anything that’s really good. The only thing we’re balanced at is being bad.”



--



I'm not a coach, I am a fan (among other things). But I think the running game SHOULD include the fullback. El Bakri and the FB crew are big strong kids who can provide a good pop for the run game.
M
Mars
Fred Warner and Johnny Linehan.
S
SpiffCoug
mtnradio wrote:

Update: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865690678/Its-on-me-Kalani-Sitake-takes-blame-for-BYUs-offensive-woes.html



"We need an identity — something we can hang our hat on — I think his name is Ula Tolutau,” Sitake said.



Tolutau rushed nine times for 38 yards and a touchdown against the Broncos.



“I thought he’d get more (carries) than what he had in the game,” Sitake said Monday. “He should get the ball more than nine times. I’d like to see him run the ball more than that.”



Sitake wants to see his team be able to both pass and run the ball effectively.



“Our goal is to be balanced,” he said. “Right now, we’re not doing anything that’s really good. The only thing we’re balanced at is being bad.”



--



I'm not a coach, I am a fan (among other things). But I think the running game SHOULD include the fullback. El Bakri and the FB crew are big strong kids who can provide a good pop for the run game.


Sitake may want to take a hard look at what his RB coach is or isn't doing. We're now halfway through this season and he (Sitake) has been complaining about RB rotations for at least 5 games.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.