Archived Topic

BYU loses multiple commits to the Utes today

by hawkwing · 10/8/2017

Advertisement
W
Woody3715
I was a high school pitching coach for 10 years and had players who subsequently started at Arkansas, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin and other noted schools. Basically, there are two groups of kids: (1) those whose only goal is playing at the professional level and (2) those who use their athletic ability to get into/pay for college and pro aspirations are secondary. All of them are serious about their sport, want to maximize their ability, and have an enjoyable college athletic experience. Importantly, they all want play for the coach that they feel comfortable with in a stable program. So a program that looks like its going to have major turnover of the coaching staff is a big drawback. A football example was Joe Paterno: during his last decade at Penn State, he had trouble recruiting because many recruits felt, due to his age, he probably wouldn't be there for their full 4 years.



The kids in the first group definitely want to be in a winning program where they will get noticed. Pro scouts look at top programs a lot closer and more often than they do mediocre or poor teams. They want the chances to play for a team that offers a major non-conference schedule, conference titles and hopefully in the NCAA tournament (playoff or major bowl games in football). Those post-season games mean extra practice time, the chance to play against other successful teams and further chances to get noticed. So these kids will generally go to the best program, with a name coach, that offers them.



The second group of kids is motivated by other considerations: academics, playing close to home so their family can see them play, family history of attending the school etc. For example, I had a pitcher that was recruited by Mississppi State, OK State and other "baseball schools" (who said "Don't worry about the academics") but accepted a full scholarship to Northwestern because he was a smart kid who used his arm to attend an expensive, top ranked university that his family couldn't otherwise afford (he graduated with a 3.9+ avg. in Engineering and was All Big10).

 

So, yes, the losing record is going to hurt BYU recruiting particularly if the losing continues for a couple more seasons. But what will hurt more than just losing is poor fundamental play, a reputation that the coaching staff is inexperienced or incompetent, the reputation that the school isn't committed to the sport or it appears that BYU will be making major changes to the coaching staff.

 
M
Mars
OL and DL players, exactly what we need the most.
S
SpiffCoug
Meh. We didn't want these kids anyways!
Advertisement
G
Guest
Yeah, they are the best line prospects in Utah and lifelong die hard BYU fan (Kump) but I've heard they said they see no opportunity at BYU to be successful or have a shot at the NFL.
F
Fido
It seems like several guys committed early on--but then as they are getting more offers from programs in P5 conferences, they are decommitting. Kump's tweet said he has been decommitting for "several months" and we know other guys have like Sekope Latu, Tyler Manoa, Allan Mwata, and Cameron Latu. It sucks to see them going to Utah over BYU but I'm not going to fault them for making the decisions they do for the reasons they do. I'll just pull for the guys who come to my team.
F
Fido
Interesting--CougarBoard is speculating that these two decommitting has more to do with the honor code and Francis Bernard situation as both these guys and FB are all from the same high school than the losing season this year.
W
Woody3715
Oral commitments really mean: "you're ahead right now but I can change my mind if a better offer comes along." Don't get excited about any kid until the commitment letter is signed.
M
mtnradio
Woody ... good points! Thank you!
Advertisement
G
Guest
Of course these kids are going to "let BYU down easy" as they decommit. But there's a lot of smoke out about it being a result of the 1-6 start and not even being able to be competetive. Kump and his family we're die hard BYU, like family and now he's going to the U.
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:

Of course these kids are going to "let BYU down easy" as they decommit. But there's a lot of smoke out about it being a result of the 1-6 start and not even being able to be competetive. Kump and his family we're die hard BYU, like family and now he's going to the U.


Honestly, can you blame them? BYU is a garbage fire right now. If my son was being considered by several schools, I'd have a hard time pushing him to BYU with all that is unfolding. It's depressing.
B
byufan4ever
But the strength of this staff is recruiting we were told!
B
BoiseBYU
hawkwing wrote:

Of course these kids are going to "let BYU down easy" as they decommit. But there's a lot of smoke out about it being a result of the 1-6 start and not even being able to be competetive. Kump and his family we're die hard BYU, like family and now he's going to the U.

Maybe it is just me, but diehard fans don’t leave when the going is tough. They say my team needs me more than ever and stay to help move the team forward You’re not much of a diehard fan if you are only a diehard fan when the going is good. Now I understand, there are various reasons one chooses to decommit and go somewhere else. And some of those reasons involve wanting to be part of a winning program. I get that. But if you are a diehard fan, I don’t think you abandon ship whether as an athlete who decides to go somewhere else that is winning, or a fan who decides to start flying his rival’s flag because they are winning and your team is not.
W
Woody3715
A player's own self interest, as the recruit perceives it, comes before the interest of any school.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Woody3715 wrote:

A player's own self interest, as the recruit perceives it, comes before the interest of any school.

Agreed. I was just responding to the claim that diehard BYU fan notwithstanding, the highky regarded recruit was now headed to UT to be with a currently winning program.
F
frdbtr
byufan4ever wrote:

But the strength of this staff is recruiting we were told!


That has been a myth from day 1. Sitake's recruiting classes were ranked right about where bronco's were if not a little worse.
M
mtnradio
frdbtr wrote:


But the strength of this staff is recruiting we were told!


That has been a myth from day 1. Sitake's recruiting classes were ranked right about where bronco's were if not a little worse.


My son is getting some recruiting attention. He is a big BYU fan, and LOVES the school. BUT, after attending BYU football camp this year, he came home and said, "Dad, I"m not sure that program is for me. I watched the coaches, I talked with the coaches, and unless you [met a set of demographics], they wouldn't give you the time of day."



He then went to the All-Poly camp and had a VERY different experience ... coaches from different schools interested in players and interested in helping players.



I will say, my son LOVED Kalani and Ty ... and some of the guys who aren't "coaches" (Harvey Unga, Tialavea, etc) ... but there was a real arrogance to at least some of the coaches and it was very off-putting to many potential players.
M
Mars
Mtnradio- I'm curious about which coaches. I've heard that Ed Lamb is likable, and Empey is not. And Mahe appears to play favorites.
G
Guest
Mars wrote:

Mtnradio- I'm curious about which coaches. I've heard that Ed Lamb is likable, and Empey is not. And Mahe appears to play favorites.


I heard from a friend of the family that Kump absolutely hated Empey.



I'm not saying that it's true, just that is something I heard.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.